Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Local purchase vs grey import - Canon 16-35mm

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Local purchase vs grey import - Canon 16-35mm

Hi,
    I have decided I am buying a 5D3, and I ordered it for $3,520 in the recent sale at Myer.
    While ordering, I managed to get a decent quote for a 16-35 mk ii to go with it - $1,700.
    It is under $1,500 from Hong Kong (DWI has it for $1499 I think). I am wondering people's thoughts on buying local with local warranty for $200 more - or is it worthwhile importing to save that $200?
    What is the deal with customs tax etc?
    Cheers,
    Daniel
    Cheers, Daniel
    5D III | 35L | 85Σ| 100L | 50/1.8 | 600EX-RT | Di622 II

facebook

Ausphotography Regular
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    $1499.00 Plus 10% GST ($149.90) equals a total of $1648.90 and that’s $51.10 cheaper and also the purchase of a lens without a warrantee which will be honoured by Canon in Australia.

You will be spending over five grand and you could choose to keep the sale, inside Australia. . . ? ? ?
    50 bucks is 1% of that total spend – for me it is a no brainer.
    Opinions will vary, though.

WW

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Do you want that camera store on the corner to be there again in the future when you want something else?

As per above, for $50, may well buy it here.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Don't forget about delivery costs as well. By the time you add that it just isn't worth it. If I was doing it I would buy local and get the warranty. I have only ever had to return one lens and having local warranty makes it just so easy. Just my 2c worth anyway.
    Lloyd
    Canon 5D2+40D+L+Σ+S100
    Never make the same mistake twice, there are so many new ones, try a different one each day
    Flickr

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by William W View Post
    $1499.00 Plus 10% GST ($149.90) equals a total of $1648.90 and that’s $51.10 cheaper and also the purchase of a lens without a warrantee which will be honoured by Canon in Australia.

You will be spending over five grand and you could choose to keep the sale, inside Australia. . . ? ? ?

WW

Cant remember a time I have paid for customs/import duty/gst from DWI yet. So for the price they quote is always the end price you will pay.

In this case with only a marginal difference in savings - $200 - you might as well buy locally.

Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by junqbox View Post
    Do you want that camera store on the corner to be there again in the future when you want something else?

As per above, for $50, may well buy it here.
    I want that camera store to offer lenses at a reasonable price - Australians pay a lot more for these products than some other countries do.

Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by LJG View Post
    Don't forget about delivery costs as well. By the time you add that it just isn't worth it. If I was doing it I would buy local and get the warranty. I have only ever had to return one lens and having local warranty makes it just so easy. Just my 2c worth anyway.
    I was looking on eBay and it includes free delivery.

Yes it would be typical if I went grey this time if I had to return this lens for warranty - I have bought 2 greay imports in the past and had no warrany issues (Canon 10-22 & 100L macro).

Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by William W View Post

WW
    Quote Originally Posted by JM Tran View Post
    Cant remember a time I have paid for customs/import duty/gst from DWI yet. So for the price they quote is always the end price you will pay.

In this case with only a marginal difference in savings - $200 - you might as well buy locally.
    If I knew there was no chance and it was a $50 difference, I would not have made this thread.

But I have heard what JM Tran is talking about, so I was really comparing the $1500 vs $1700 in this instance - and if by chance I do require a payment, then it will still be $50 cheaper. But is it worth it if I don't get a local warranty?

That is my question, and JM I tend to think the way you do but I just wanted to hear opinions. If it were 4-500 diff I wouldn't even consider buying locally, but 200 is a fine line... only a 12% saving...
    Last edited by kobeson; 28-05-2012 at 2:33pm.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by kobeson View Post
    If I knew there was no chance and it was a $50 difference, I would not have made this thread.

But I have heard what JM Tran is talking about, so I was really comparing the $1500 vs $1700 in this instance - and if by chance I do require a payment, then it will still be $50 cheaper. But is it worth it if I don't get a local warranty?

That is my question, and JM I tend to think the way you do but I just wanted to hear opinions. If it were 4-500 diff I wouldn't even consider buying locally, but 200 is a fine line... only a 12% saving...

Yeah mate, most of my equipment has been bought directly overseas as I travel a lot for shoots, or via DWI when I am back in Aus. One of my biggest cash outlay ever for a grey import was a new Canon 5D2 I bought in Shanghai - in one of the best camera buildings in the world - for $2600, this was 2 years ago. Its one of my work horse cameras with over 100k actuations on it and has seen snow, deserts, jungles etc and still works fine and never had a problem. I saved over a grand by buying from overseas and bringing it back home - I can justify that kind of savings. But for anything where I only have to pay 100 to 200 bucks more for electronic goods - I tend to stay locally.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I want that camera store to offer lenses at a reasonable price - Australians pay a lot more for these products than some other countries do.
    Yes, and we get paid higher than a lot of other countries. Check out the minimum wage in the US.

Swings and roundabouts.

Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by junqbox View Post
    Yes, and we get paid higher than a lot of other countries. Check out the minimum wage in the US.

Swings and roundabouts.
    *removed - personal attack*
    Last edited by ricktas; 29-05-2012 at 7:12am.

Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by JM Tran View Post
    Yeah mate, most of my equipment has been bought directly overseas as I travel a lot for shoots, or via DWI when I am back in Aus. One of my biggest cash outlay ever for a grey import was a new Canon 5D2 I bought in Shanghai - in one of the best camera buildings in the world - for $2600, this was 2 years ago. Its one of my work horse cameras with over 100k actuations on it and has seen snow, deserts, jungles etc and still works fine and never had a problem. I saved over a grand by buying from overseas and bringing it back home - I can justify that kind of savings. But for anything where I only have to pay 100 to 200 bucks more for electronic goods - I tend to stay locally.
    Great advice, really appreciate it.

With the prices here coming down a bit recently, I think it definitely might help pursuade people to buy locally, but for a saving like you made on your 5D2 I would do exactly the same thing!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    How did you get the 5D3 for only $3520 from Myer?
    I just checked out their website, and they don't even have a 5D3 listed.

If I can get one for that amount, I'll go there today and buy one!
    All my photos are taken with recycled pixels.
    Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit.
    Wisdom, is knowing not to serve it in a fruit salad.

Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Bennymiata View Post
    How did you get the 5D3 for only $3520 from Myer?
    I just checked out their website, and they don't even have a 5D3 listed.

If I can get one for that amount, I'll go there today and buy one!
    Benny, I would call the biggest Myer in Sydney and ask about the 20% off sale they had on Saturday, and see if they will still honour it. I called yesterday here in Melbourne, and the guy I spoke to said they would still offer the deal yesterday, fingers crossed they do for you today also!

I know it isn't listed, I looked also, but after phoning they definitely do stock it!

Good luck!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think that all the " L" lenese have international warranty

Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by treefrog View Post
    They did have international warranty, however Canon changed this in November 2011 - I don't have a link, but if you search for their T&C it will point out no international warranty anymore.

It's a pity Canon have done this IMO.

Site Rules Breach - Permanent Ban
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Not anymore they don't.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thank Kobeson
    I was very close to buying a gray import 70-200 F2.8 a little while back if I hadnt found a second hand lens
    Dont think I would be importing without the warranty
    To get around import tax for items over $1000 the seller sends you a dodge receipt with the package saying amount payed $890. Then posts you an envelope with the real receipt amount payed $1500

Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thank Kobeson
    I was very close to buying a gray import 70-200 F2.8 a little while back if I hadnt found a second hand lens
    Dont think I would be importing without the warranty
    To get around import tax for items over $1000 the seller sends you a dodge receipt with the package saying amount payed $890. Then posts you an envelope with the real receipt amount payed $1500

Yeah the lack of local warranty makes it tougher to import now - depite the fact I've never had to send anything in for warranty repair. Glad local prices have dropped a little, well if you wheel and deal they can get closer than 12 months ago anyway.

Ausphotography Regular
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

When previously I answered, I understood that you were harnessing opinions and that is why you started the thread.
    I also understood that you were unsure of whether the GST would be payable.
    And I also know that DWI and some customers previously have got around GST: but that fact doesn’t mean that GST is not payable on a $1499.00 imported item.

so I was really comparing the $1500 vs $1700 in this instance

So for clarity, my opinion is still – “it is a no brainer”.
    You might prefer a more detailed Rationale:
    1. Past performance re GST / invoicing is not a guarantee of future performance.
    2. Lenses fail or need a claim of some sort: – I’ve had 1 canon lens in 15 (and one Canon camera body in six) . . . of course that’s no indication of any expected trend; the next toss doesn’t have those odds, anyway.
    3. Maximum “possible” saving is $200 . . . minimum known saving is $50.
    4. Point three to me is like betting 50 to win 150, that’s only 3 to 1 and still no warrantee. 3 to 1 odds to my way of thinking, is not a“good bet” in this scenario.
    5. Point three could be interpreted that I will be paying either $200 or $50 for the warrantee, and those odds are 2 to 1.
    6. I get a chance to spend in Australia.

On the balance of points 1 to 6, I would purchase that lens, here.
    As previously mentioned, opinions will vary: and yes I understood that it was your wanting to read those varied opinions, why you started the thread.
    Post #2 gave abbreviated rationale of the opinion and not intended to start a "Wages in Australia" discussion: however buying in AUS is part of my thinking - yes.

WW
    Last edited by William W; 28-05-2012 at 7:17pm. Reason: typo correction

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast