Thread: Epistemological Solipsism

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Food for thought, the strongest of the solipism theories is where you firmly believe no other being/mind/existence/reality other than your own exists
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Metaphysical_solipsism

And this is the bit I love about it, the reason why it's not a commonly expressed theory:

"One reason for the lack of support of this philosophical position is how strange it would be for a solipsist to preach solipsism - as if to convince everyone around them that they are purely a figment of the author's own imagination. The very idea of communicating philosophical ideas would be arbitrary to a true solipsist, as according to them, there is no other mind with whom they would communicate their beliefs."

I'm pretty sure you'd get committed if you truly believed everyone was a figment of your imagination.
    The scary thing is that it's impossible to prove to anyone otherwise!
    Last edited by pmack; 01-08-2011 at 9:39pm.

Ausphotography irregular Mark L's Avatar
    Mentioned
    34 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by pmack View Post
    Food for thought, the strongest of the solipism theories is where you firmly believe no other being/mind/existence/reality other than your own exists......
    So does that mean I can't vote in any AP competitions, 'cause none of those other photographers reality (as presented in an image, or being present to take the image) exists?
    Or does it mean I just win any competition I enter 'cause no one else's voted counted? (can you win with no votes, 'cause I don't vote for my entries?)
    "Enjoy what you can do rather than being frustrated at what you can't." bobt
    Canon 80D, 60D, Canon 28-105, Sigma 150-600S.

Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark L View Post
    So does that mean I can't vote in any AP competitions, 'cause none of those other photographers reality (as presented in an image, or being present to take the image) exists?
    Or does it mean I just win any competition I enter 'cause no one else's voted counted? (can you win with no votes, 'cause I don't vote for my entries?)
    no of course you can vote, you're not voting for another photographers reality, you are voting for an image that you perceive to be the work of someone elses, however as you become aware of solipism, you realise that the work of "others", is simply a creation of your own subconscious. much like a dream state where you have conversations with people in a dream, what you are in fact doing is having a conversation with yourself, nothing more. so yep, we are all schizophrenic when we sleep