Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 40D to?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

40D to?

Hey,

Just about time to get an upgrade for my gear. Currently switching around for my lenses and meanwhile I do find that 40D's higher ISO is quite limited but at the same time, I am on tight budget as well.

I was looking at 60D (hoped that it would be great but it didn't) so I wondered, whether I should move to 50D which some think that it's a minor upgrade. I would love to go for 7D or 5dm2 but not at the moment.

Should I stay at 40D for a little longer (but value will depreciate even more) or should I move on to 50D?

Cheers.
    Crumpler 5 Million Dollar + Canon EOS 7D + Canon EF 24-70mm f/2.8 L USM, Manfrotto tripod
    Previous owned gear: Canon EOS 400D, Canon EOS 40D, Canon EF-S 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6, Sigma 24-70mm f/2.8 EX DG, Sigma 30mm f/1.4 EX DC HSM, Macro Canon EF 35mm f/2, Canon EF 50mm f/1.8, Tamron 55-250m, Canon EF-S 60mm f/2.8 USM Macro, EF 85mm f/1.8 USM

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jdreamer View Post
    was looking at 60D (hoped that it would be great but it didn't)
    Cheers.
    Says who ??

Any way, I have never had a 50D to compare to, but I don't think you are going to be really making much of an upgrade by going to a 50D.

You really need to consider whether you want to transition to 35mm frame size or stick with the APS-c size sensor, only you know what you want to do.

The 7D is certainly a good upgrade from a 40D and it may be worth having a look at local suppliers as there could have been a price reduction on these in the last week (nudge nudge, wink wink)
    Smoke Alarms Save Lives, Install One Today
    I shoot Canon
    Cheers, Mark

Ausphotography Veteran
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Most say the 50D was a step backward from the 40D and DP Review rate the 60D as another step back too. If I were you I would hold off and save the bit extra and get the 7D.
    Keith.
    Keith

Canon 400D Gripped, Canon 7D LCD Timer Gripped, Canon 70-200 f2.8L is ii. Canon 2X iii Extender, Canon 50mm 1.8, Sigma 150-500, Sigma 18-250, Sigma 17-50 F2.8, Sigma 10-20, Tamron 90mm Macro, Yonguno YN460 & 460ii Speedlights and a Hanimax TZ 1 Flash, Wireless Triggers ,LED Macro Ringlight, Extension Tubes, 3 tripods, 2 monopods, PS Elements 5 & 10, PSP9 and canon s/ware, various filters and other photographic paraphernalia all packed in a computrecker backpack. NEW:- Panasonic GX8, 45-150, 14mm F2.5. PSE 2018.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Can't really see any advantage of moving from 40d to 50d..... I agree, hold off and go for the 7d or even the 5d MkII.... Just my humble opinion.
    My Gear;
    5DMk III | EF 50mm f/1.8 II | EF 24-105mm 1:4 L IS USM | Sigma 120-400mm 1:4.5-5.6 APO HSM | Speedlite 430EX II | Manfrotto Tipod

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    hmmm you're all saying the 50D isn't much of an upgrade from a 40D.
    I know that when viewed at 100% there is allegedely slightly more noise, but you have 50% more pixels to help that!

I've actually just listed my 40D on ebay, with the plan to purchase the 50D from a grey importer. THe upgrade will only cost me ~$150. nothing really. THe 50D is so cheap at the moment that i think it is excellent value, particularly if you plan on having it as your second body.

Though i'm now wondering if i should go the 7D, though that's a little expensive to be my second body...

(the 5D MKII will be my primary body, i'm just waiting for the MKIII to be announced so that the MKII prices drop for me...)

edit: damn, there are 25 people watching the auction of my 40D, these things are so popular on ebay!
    Last edited by pmack; 09-09-2010 at 11:42pm.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It doesnt make much sense to me to go from a 40D to a 50D unless the 40D is broken. It isnt really an upgrade, just an update.
    A 7D is an upgrade as it is a different class of camera.
    Creativity is allowing yourself to make mistakes. Art is knowing which ones to keep. ~Scott Adams

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Benicio View Post
    It doesnt make much sense to me to go from a 40D to a 50D unless the 40D is broken. It isnt really an upgrade, just an update.
    A 7D is an upgrade as it is a different class of camera.
    fair call, update as opposed to upgrade. got it. for $150, i reckon it's worth updating.
    will probably go the 7D actually, as the quicker fps may come in handy for me...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'd stick with you 40D til you have enough money to upgrade to the 7D. So long as you're shooting in RAW mostly and your images aren't underexposed, one can get fantastic images out of the 40D at 1600ISO. This is 1600ISO exposed as brightly as I could without losing the highlights:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Cant argue with an upgrade for $150.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Benicio View Post
    Cant argue with an upgrade for $150.
    you mean update
    Last edited by pmack; 10-09-2010 at 8:02pm.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Stick with the 40D till you can afford the 7D.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    btw zedex, nice shot, what lens you use?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by pmack View Post
    btw zedex, nice shot, what lens you use?
    Canon 100mm f2.8 macro Thanks man, by any chance are you off the aus300zx forums? I recognise your screenname
    Canon stuff 5Dmk1 w/ 24-70 f2.8L, Canon 5Dmk1 w/70-200f2.8L, 100mm f2.8 macro, 50mm f1.4, 580exII
    Alienbees B800, Lumopro 160, Manfrotto 155XPROB w/ 498RC2, Lowepro ProRunner X450AW
    Phew!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    nope. i'm a veedub man

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What I've been reading in other similar discussions here at AP, as well as having it being well and truly affirmed here, is that the 7D is considered to be the next step up by general consensus.

Many many others also say... "Keep your body and buy more glass".

Dan

Canon EOS 550D Gripped - Twin Lens Kit - Speedlite 430EX II
    CC and EDITS with info invited. Feed my brain!
    "don't drink from the mainstream"

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Jdreamer, I have both 40D and 7D and I won't be getting rid of the former in a hurry. It's a great camera. I would suggest you don't rush into a changeover unless the new camera-of-choice has specific attributes e.g. greater fps which you need.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Stick with the 40D until Canon actually work on improving high ISO in there cameras.
    The 5D mkII is unbelievable but you say your on a tight budget so......

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    i was told by someone - not to buy the 5D mkII and wait for the mkIII
    is there any REAL issues with the 5D mkII ???
    only asking because i think they would be a great camera having ff like 1D

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Allan Ryan View Post
    i was told by someone - not to buy the 5D mkII and wait for the mkIII
    is there any REAL issues with the 5D mkII ???
    only asking because i think they would be a great camera having ff like 1D
    i'm waiting for the 5D MKIII, but not so I can buy it, i'm waiting so i can buy the MKII which will no doubt be quite cheap!
    Though who knows it might have things to tempt me. Am not aware of any issues with the MKII myself.

Regarding the 40D, i'm selling mine on ebay at the moment, and it currently has 55 "watchers", so there's obviously a hell of a lot of people wanting them still. They go for around $650 FYI

Serial Truant....
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've owned a 20D, 50D and now 5DII.

The IQ improvement from the 20D to 50D was minimal (barely noticeable). The noise performance of the 50D was improved over the 20D but not by much.

The main limitation on the 5DII is the Autofocus. From my experience, it's not even as good as that on the 20D, particularly when it comes to AI servo mode. I chase my grandkids about a bit and the 20D (and 50D) was far better at tracking AF than the 5DII.

I also miss the inbuilt flash capability for daytime fill that both crop bodies had, photo opportunities around moving subjects (especially toddlers) don't lend themselves to "wait while I mount up and adjust the flash".

I wouldn't buy another body without AF lens Microadjust, a 7D is on my wishlist as a second body.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast