User Tag List

Thanks useful information Thanks useful information:  52

View Poll Results: A stranger asks to see a photo you've taken because they are not comfortable with your photography

Voters
23. You may not vote on this poll
  • I would show them, but not delete it if asked

9 39.13%
  • I would show them and delete it if asked

8 34.78%
  • I would walk away and ignore them completely.

3 13.04%
  • I would only show them if they were an authority figure

2 8.70%
  • I would refuse no matter who they were

1 4.35%
  • I would refuse to show them

0 0%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What would you do if asked to show the photo you just took ?

Ausphotography Veteran
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

What would you do if asked to show the photo you just took ?

We've had various discussions about our legal rights to take photos in public, so this isn't about what you have to do. This is a question about what you would do.

You're out in public, taking general people photos, and someone takes offence and demands to see the photos you just took. Would you show them? Would you delete them if asked? Would your response change if it was a Police officer asking you ?

Where do you draw the line between defending your rights and taking a more conciliatory approach? What would you do in a real life situation?

"If you want to be a better photographer, stand in front of more interesting stuff.” — Jim Richardson

Site Rules Breach - Permanent Ban
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Bob, like so many things in life, it depends on all sorts of things. All circumstances will be all but unique ...

Ausphotography Veteran
    Threadstarter

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by John King View Post
    Bob, like so many things in life, it depends on all sorts of things. All circumstances will be all but unique ...
    I know .... but this is a general question. Clearly most hypotheticals depend on all sorts of things, and situations will usually be unique, so we have to ask broad questions.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Not keen on confrontation so I would show them and delete it if they asked. You never know, they might like what they see, ask you for a copy, and just like that you've got a new friend.
    Andrew

Arch-Σigmoid Ausphotography Regular ameerat42's Avatar
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Depends...

Previous text deleted.

I missed the vote because there wasn't a suitable option:
    "It depends/Gravy".
    Last edited by ameerat42; 28-11-2018 at 7:50pm. Reason: Coupler typos...
    CC, Image editing OK.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I’d never be in this situation as the only humans I take photographs of are related to me.

That said, hypothetically speaking, I would also show someone if they asked as the awkwardness would only intensify if not. If the person wanted a photo of them deleted, I guess I would. But then it depends... if you’re already really attached to the photo for whatever reason, could be a tad tricky.

Ausphotography irregular Mark L's Avatar
    Mentioned
    34 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    If the bloke could bash me up does that influences my vote here.
    There was a recent not common bird seen in the grounds of a local primary school. My first reaction was to go and and try and get photos of this not common bird.
    A fella hanging around a primary school with a 600mm lens? I didn't bother.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark L View Post
    If the bloke could bash me up does that influences my vote here.
    There was a recent not common bird seen in the grounds of a local primary school. My first reaction was to go and and try and get photos of this not common bird.
    A fella hanging around a primary school with a 600mm lens? I didn't bother.
    Good call.

Ausphotography Regular
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I would be happy to show the photo and explain that I am an amateur photographer and why I was taking the photo. If it was a good one I would hope that my smiley expression and enthusiasm would alleviate any concerns from the one asking
    But then if they still wanted me to delete it then I would put on my sad pouty face and say ok.. but it is such a nice photo.. I feel sad about deleting it. Hopefully that would work. But if not, then I would respect their wishes and delete it.
    Cheers, Ann

60D, Canon 18-200mm, Canon Fisheye, Canon Macro, Canon 50mm prime, Tripod. Photoshop Elements, Picasa.

www.travellerspoint.com/users/aussirose www.flickr.com/aussirose

Ausphotography Regular
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I had that experience once. Took a pic of a guy net casting. He and his mate thought I was a council inspector.
    Showed them the pics and they went on about their business.
    Regards
    John
    Nikon D750, Sigma 105mm OS Macro, Tokina 16-28 F2.8, Sigma 24-105 Art, Sigma 150-600C,
    Benro Tripod and Monopod with Arca plates

Member formerly known as : Lplates Glenda's Avatar
    Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think it would depend a lot on their attitude when they asked. I wouldn't take a photo of somebody if they obviously don't want me to and even as a female I feel uncomfortable about taking photos of children without their parents' permission. However, if it was some overly self important security guy telling me I couldn't take a photo from a public place I wouldn't feel at all cooperative.
    Glenda

Ausphotography Veteran
    Threadstarter

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Glenda View Post
    I think it would depend a lot on their attitude when they asked. I wouldn't take a photo of somebody if they obviously don't want me to and even as a female I feel uncomfortable about taking photos of children without their parents' permission. However, if it was some overly self important security guy telling me I couldn't take a photo from a public place I wouldn't feel at all cooperative.
    It's a bit sad that we are all needing to be so careful around children. Kids make some of the best subjects, yet unless you have your own or some other relationship - it's just off limits as a subject! The best way to take photos of people IMHO is to choose a day like ANZAC day or some other parade type situation. Then people are more than happy to have you snapping away as much as you like. Every time there is a big union rally I'm in there like a shot!

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Bob has nailed it: If here is a parade or festival of some sort, like the Chinese New Year, with people in traditional clothes no-one could reasonably object to a photogapher snapping away but at a beach or playground.....? definitely getting creepy here.

I would hope that for most of us common sense and social awareness would dictate where and when the lens cap came off. Sadly, yes, kids are fun subjects but shooting them can be a very touchy area and unless they are relatives it is safest to regard them as a protected species. We have a church near us frequented by Africans and their gorgeous kids take over the playground near our house after church. My grandkids sometimes play there with them but Ms Nikon stays at home.

If anyone approached me to see a shot I had taken I would definitely show them and if they weren't happy about it, for whatever reason, I would delete it.
    Last edited by Colin B; 29-11-2018 at 11:49am.

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    For me, it would depend on how offended, or offensive, the person is.

I have shown people before and I have told people that I will only show them once a police officer is present, and finally I have told people to F-off.

Mostly this varies on the attitude of the person asking. So in the Poll I chose when Authority figure was present, but that is not really entirely correct.
    "It is one thing to make a picture of what a person looks like, it is another thing to make a portrait of who they are" - Paul Caponigro

Constructive Critique of my photographs is always appreciated
    Nikon, etc!

RICK
    My Photography

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Shoot cars so I would show them and probably ask what they think of it........

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I agree with the many opinions on the fact that the whole taking photos thing has become rather fraught with danger. The potential issues when taking public images when children are present means I take the time to ensure I don't take any photos anyone under the age of 16.

I am aware of my legal position in terms of taking images in public spaces, so if asked by a stranger to show them what I'd just snapped I would initially refuse (or rather deny their request while inquiring why they wanted to see, depending on how they ask). If requested by a person of authority who had an ID card to prove it, I would still inquire what they thought I had snapped that warranted the request to view.

But then I'm just a bit bolshie at heart. If someone wandered up and engaged in general conversation on photography in general and what I was snapping, I would probably be more inclined to discuss the topic and show them. On the other hand if someone stormed up, accused me of taking images of something and demanding to see them, then a polite refusal followed by a flat refusal followed by stronger words would be the response.
    Pentax K3, K100D Super, Sigma 18-50, Takamur-A 28-80, Pentax DA 50-200, Sicor 80-200, Tamron 2X teleconverter

Ausphotography Veteran
    Threadstarter

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Liney View Post
    I agree with the many opinions on the fact that the whole taking photos thing has become rather fraught with danger. The potential issues when taking public images when children are present means I take the time to ensure I don't take any photos anyone under the age of 16.
    Interesting how many of us are conflicted about this issue. People are interesting subjects - at any age. Children under/over 16 .... how could you tell these days? I've seen 16 yo girls who look like kids, and 16 year olds who are far more physically developed than many adults. Older people are generally more receptive to being photographed, and younger people differentiate based more upon the age of the viewer - i.e. if you're over a certain age/aesthetic threshold then you are somehow supposed to self-censor and look the other way. It's a form of reverse ageism/sexism.

I guess I'll follow the principle I mentioned earlier, and stick to crowd scenes and festivals. It's a pity, because there are so many people out there I really want to photograph without any posing involved. Posed shots have their place, but it's real expressions and poses that I prefer!

Bring on the next Union march!!! 8*)

Serial Truant....
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I picked show and delete if asked, funny though, people snap away with mobile phones all the time and no-one seems to care but photography with a DSLR often seems to envoke a reaction.

Ausphotography Addict
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by phild View Post
    I picked show and delete if asked, funny though, people snap away with mobile phones all the time and no-one seems to care but photography with a DSLR often seems to envoke a reaction.
    Good point -

I actually chose 'Walk away & ignore' because I'm big fat 'n' ugly and don't give a rats!
    Bout time everyone got on with their lives and stop looking for ways to complicate my simple existence.

Signed...Grumpy Gaz

Arch-Σigmoid Ausphotography Regular ameerat42's Avatar
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well's head, Gazza [/still laughing]

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast