User Tag List

Thanks useful information Thanks useful information:  3

Thread: So this is what Canon has been up to

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

So this is what Canon has been up to

I have been a Canon user since 1970. Recently I have been wondering what new technology Canon has been working on because they have been quiet for some time. With the release of their new white camera, now I know. It will go good with my old pink leisure suit. Way to go Canon. http://www.canonrumors.com/2013/11/c...hite-pictures/
    Last edited by Kym; 22-11-2013 at 11:26am. Reason: removed colour of text - does not display well on dark skin

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    ^ Almost impossible to read - you have set the font colour to nearly the same grey as the background colour.
    Tony

It's a poor sort of memory that only works backwards.

Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It defaulted to black for some reason. Sorry for the look of the first post.

I have been a Canon user since 1970. Recently I have been wondering what new technology Canon has been working on because they have been quiet for some time. With the release of their new white body camera, now I know. It will go good with my old pink leisure suit. Way to go Canon

http://www.canonrumors.com/2013/11/c...hite-pictures/
    Last edited by Jad; 21-11-2013 at 2:34am.

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    The default colour for the site text is white. My guess.. you copied this from a post you made on another site, and the copy-n-paste picked up the formatting from the other site, cause I have had that happen to me too.

PS. you are sounding really jaded about Canon at present, Please read the site rules, in particular rule 3.
    Last edited by ricktas; 21-11-2013 at 7:07am.
    "It is one thing to make a picture of what a person looks like, it is another thing to make a portrait of who they are" - Paul Caponigro

Constructive Critique of my photographs is always appreciated
    Nikon, etc!

RICK
    My Photography

Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ricktas View Post
    The default colour for the site text is white. My guess.. you copied this from a post you made on another site, and the copy-n-paste picked up the formatting from the other site, cause I have had that happen to me too.

PS. you are sounding really jaded about Canon at present, Please read the site rules, in particular rule 3.
    I really like Canon products and have used their camera for many years. Coming out with a white body is something that will show dirt and wear much more than the standard black body. I can't understand how it ever made it to production. It is not a slam on Canon, it more about them investing in a product that will never have much market appeal.

Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Could not think of anything worse, I would never buy one and I dont wear pink either.

I shoot with Olympus Cameras.. Sometimes Canon and My iPhone SE 2020

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I had a white Pentax K-x a while back, and really liked it.
    I wish they would bring back the old silver top and bottom with black leather around the middle, like Canon did in the 60's.

I am getting so bored with basic black.......................
    All my photos are taken with recycled pixels.
    Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit.
    Wisdom, is knowing not to serve it in a fruit salad.

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jad View Post
    I really like Canon products and have used their camera for many years. Coming out with a white body is something that will show dirt and wear much more than the standard black body. I can't understand how it ever made it to production. It is not a slam on Canon, it more about them investing in a product that will never have much market appeal.
    Perhaps you were not their market. Take China where white is representative of brightness, purity, and fulfillment, in their culture. Canon may not be making this for you, but they might just be making it for another market where the appeal is a lot higher, and with a lot more people to sell to.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    ^ A fair point, Rick. And it will sell to people buying a first SLR out of a hardly Normal catalogue too. Well, some people. And no harm in that: it will take pictures just as good as a black one does.

More broadly, I must confess to a sense of unease about Canon's strategy. They don't seem to be very interested in pushing their product development along any more. (Except for video-specific stuff, which is of zero interest and mostly functions to suck money and R&D talent out of camera space and into videoland.) I'm not seriously thinking about jumping back to Nikon yet, but Canon needs to be put on notice that their lack-lustre efforts of the last few years cannot continue. Most companies progress by fits and starts, with golden years interspersed with periods where they seem to achieve little, so I'm not going into panic mode yet .... but the clock is ticking.

- - - Updated - - -

PS: Jad, maybe we can get together for a group buy on those pink suits.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Tannin View Post
    ^ A fair point, Rick. And it will sell to people buying a first SLR out of a hardly Normal catalogue too. Well, some people. And no harm in that: it will take pictures just as good as a black one does.

More broadly, I must confess to a sense of unease about Canon's strategy. They don't seem to be very interested in pushing their product development along any more. (Except for video-specific stuff, which is of zero interest and mostly functions to suck money and R&D talent out of camera space and into videoland.) I'm not seriously thinking about jumping back to Nikon yet, but Canon needs to be put on notice that their lack-lustre efforts of the last few years cannot continue. Most companies progress by fits and starts, with golden years interspersed with periods where they seem to achieve little, so I'm not going into panic mode yet .... but the clock is ticking.

- - - Updated - - -

PS: Jad, maybe we can get together for a group buy on those pink suits.
    Really? The 6D is a landmark camera. The 100D for totally different reasons is as well. Where's the problem?

Sent from my GT-I9305T using Tapatalk

Fishy
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Perhaps it is a match for their "white" lenses
    Cheers Brian.

Canon 7D Kit lenses EFS 18-55 IS EFS 55-250 IS EF28-90 Canon EF 2xll Extender Sigma DG150-500 OS Speedlight 420EX. 580EX

Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ricktas View Post
    Perhaps you were not their market. Take China where white is representative of brightness, purity, and fulfillment, in their culture. Canon may not be making this for you, but they might just be making it for another market where the appeal is a lot higher, and with a lot more people to sell to.
    That is a good point. I have based my opinion on the market that I live in. The look could be popular in other regions of the world, and China is a big market.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Bennymiata View Post
    I had a white Pentax K-x a while back, and really liked it.
    I wish they would bring back the old silver top and bottom with black leather around the middle, like Canon did in the 60's.

I am getting so bored with basic black.......................
    Nikon just released a retro camera that looks like their camera body from the 60's and 70's. I am not a Nikon user but if Canon came out with the old F1 in digital I would certainly buy one. With the old style controls and features, it would fit my style of photography very well. http://nofilmschool.com/2013/11/niko...cinema-camera/

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by rackham View Post
    Really? The 6D is a landmark camera. The 100D for totally different reasons is as well.
    Huh? The 6D? Seriously? The 6D is a decent camera, no doubt about that, but much-improved focus system aside it's only a 5D II replacement with minor upgrades. And as for the focus system, the 6D's is nothing anyone would notice were it not for the fact that the 5D II AF system was so dreadfully primitive. Bringing a flawed product back up to typical average industry standard quality was welcome, of course, but it doesn't count as a significant step forward for the company - they already knew how to make better AF systems, as demonstrated by the cheaper and much, much older 20D, 30D, and 40D.

As for the 100D, what is special about it? Perhaps I've missed something, for it appears to be an ordinary decent standard little camera with more-or-less the same sensor as most of the other Canon APS-C units and a slightly downgraded focus system. It also has a new-tech AF system, but it's of no use for normal photography; it was specifically developed for video and is useless for anything else except live view (where it may or may not be of any real consequence - I don't use live view much, couldn't say). The 100D, it seems, is a perfect illustration of my point: Canon has made very little real progress for photographers in recent years and most of their R&D effort seems to have been hijacked by video. Time for them to put some decent cards on the table, jacks or better please!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I really like the look of the new white canon ( something different ) !
    I was wondering if the white colour might make the camera run a bit cooler when used in the sun for long periods ?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Tannin View Post
    Huh? The 6D? Seriously? The 6D is a decent camera, no doubt about that, but much-improved focus system aside it's only a 5D II replacement with minor upgrades. And as for the focus system, the 6D's is nothing anyone would notice were it not for the fact that the 5D II AF system was so dreadfully primitive. Bringing a flawed product back up to typical average industry standard quality was welcome, of course, but it doesn't count as a significant step forward for the company - they already knew how to make better AF systems, as demonstrated by the cheaper and much, much older 20D, 30D, and 40D.

As for the 100D, what is special about it? Perhaps I've missed something, for it appears to be an ordinary decent standard little camera with more-or-less the same sensor as most of the other Canon APS-C units and a slightly downgraded focus system. It also has a new-tech AF system, but it's of no use for normal photography; it was specifically developed for video and is useless for anything else except live view (where it may or may not be of any real consequence - I don't use live view much, couldn't say). The 100D, it seems, is a perfect illustration of my point: Canon has made very little real progress for photographers in recent years and most of their R&D effort seems to have been hijacked by video. Time for them to put some decent cards on the table, jacks or better please!
    So first in class for size and weight means nothing? Never mind superior low light performance...