quite a lot of 50 and 85mm lens for sale on sites

i would say the sigma art series is making a few change
    cheers macca

Account Closed at member's request
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    There is no 85mm Sigma art though so what difference would it make to that?

The 50mm is also fairly popular as a prime so I've notice there are always a lot of them around.

A royal pain in the bum! arthurking83's Avatar
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    There is a Sigma 85, but it's not referred too in the Art series by Sigma.

I also don't see any relevance to the 85mm lenses being offered for sale relating to the Sigma 50 Art.
    If people are indeed letting their 85mm lenses go for replacement with a 50mm .. then I think they need education more so than new gear.
    Two totally different lens types.

Also, what models/versions of these 50mm lenses for sale.
    Like MissionMan said, 50's have always been in common supply all over the place.
    But if many of them are of the 50/1.8 types, which have prices generally in the 100-200 range as general maximums, I'm fairly sure they're not offered for sale now in anticipation of the new Sigma.

Interestingly and on the topic of Sigma's art series making changes .. I reckon it is doing so, for sure.

I was in at a shop the other week getting other stuff, and whilst waiting for a salesperson, I was overhearing what he was 'advising' to another customer.
    I didn't hear it all, and I'm sure that the lenses being considered were more along the zoom/kit type, but the salesperson's comment was along the lines of ...

"we also have a few Sigma lenses you may want to consider, and Sigma are really producing some good lenses now" (something like that .. maybe not exactly as he said it but close enough).

The first thing that struck me was brand recognition.
    Everyone assumes that the firstparty accessories/gear is going to be best. Will produce better results than any other thirdparty brand will.

Because I wasn't paying all that much attention to the entire conversation, only the comment about Sigma products, it seemed to me that he was relaying the notion that Sigma's recent offerings(eg, 85, 35, 50 24-105 lenses) being of good quality somehow automatically translated to all their lenses now being of good quality.

I've maintained for a long time that Sigma have/had some really good alternatives to the branded stuff. You just need to research which ones are good, why they're good and how much advantage/disadvantage they are over the brand stuff .. and take into account usage and price.

I've seen this across the net in a few forums too tho ... so it seems Sigma's plan may be working.

A few years ago, you'd be hard pressed to have heard good stories from thirdparty offerings .. only the few that have been dedicated to them knew what and why back then.
    People that I would never have thought possible have recently embraced Sigma as an alternative .. or even recommending them as alternatives to the more expensive brand items.

I'm almost 100% positive in the case of Sigma's recent resurgence, that it has everything to do with the hype that comes with a new product that shines.
    Sigma have always made good offerings .. good alternatives or in some instances the only option.

Simga's recent resurgence is definitely due to the recent Art series, and don't forget the Sport series (120-300/2.8) too tho. Whether it has any bearing on the current volumes of 50 or 85mm lenses offered for sale is questionable tho.
    Nikon D800E, D300, D70s
    {Nikon}; -> 50/1.2 : 500/8 : 105/2.8VR Micro : 180/2.8 ais : 105mm f/1.8 ais : 24mm/2 ais
    {Sigma}; ->10-20/4-5.6 : 50/1.4 : 12-24/4.5-5.6II : 150-600mm|S
    {Tamron}; -> 17-50/2.8 : 28-75/2.8 : 70-200/2.8 : 300/2.8 SP MF : 24-70/2.8VC

{Yongnuo}; -> YN35/2N : YN50/1.8N

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I agree. What it has forced people to rethink is their dedication to the brands on the assumption that the Canon or Nikon were always the best first choice for AF lenses if you had the available funds. I think it may also force the big brands to lift their game and reconsider their pricing models.

I am personally considering a couple of Sigma lenses at the moment and will probably purchase some of the ART lenses in the next month or two. The ART range definitely got my attention and I'm sure I'm not the only one. I am hoping Sigma will produce a 85mm ART at some point in future because I think it will have a massive market.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sigma's current 85mm is still a good lens. Although it's not an art series lens, it's probably still a good alternative as is.
    I've wanted an 85/1.4 for a while too now(having updated to Fx), with no rush .. and hopefully Sigma will update it with USB dock compatibility one day soon too.

While it's not a real deal breaker whether it's there or not, just having that option is a feature that places Sigma one step ahead ATM.

I think it's just a matter of time for Sigma to update the 85 to Art series status. Whether this means an optical update too to increase sharpness/rendering quality is another question.

There have been rumours of a fast 105mm (maybe f/1.8) for a while now from Sigma too.
    This would actually be my preference if they did release a new lens in that 85-105mm range.

Note that this phenomenon is not restricted to Sigma either.
    Tamron's two recent releases(24-70/2.8VC and 70-200/2.8VC) lenses have also raised awareness of Tamron as an alternative brand to a lesser degree.
    I'm also a fan of some of Tamron's lenses too.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by arthurking83 View Post
    Sigma's current 85mm is still a good lens.
    Yup. Exactly why I am looking at it at the moment. The lenses I have on my radar are:

Sigma 85 f/1.4
    Sigma 105 f/2.8 Macro
    Sigma 35 f/1.4 ART
    Sigma 50 f/1.4 ART

Ausphotography Veteran
    Threadstarter

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    i do not know while i said the 85, but there is a whisper there could be news in september

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think nikon re nikkor lenses are getting too expensive.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by torro View Post
    ..... are getting .....
    You mean "have always been" !

While it's easy to understand that quality does have a certain price premium, why is it Canon equivalents are almost always cheaper?

Moderately Underexposed
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by torro View Post
    I think nikon re nikkor lenses are getting too expensive.
    I said exactly the same thing about the Porsche that I really fancy just the other day ---- guess I will have to stick with my Korean / Thai made alternatives.
    Andrew
    Nikon, Fuji, Nikkor, Sigma, Tamron, Tokina and too many other bits and pieces to list.

Ausphotography Veteran
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just buy the Canon 200 mm F2 L and walk toward your subject, solves all those extra lens issues with sizing.

You wont buy better, unless you can find a F1.8 from years gone by.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Roosta View Post
    Just buy the Canon 200 mm F2 L and walk toward your subject, solves all those extra lens issues with sizing.

You wont buy better, unless you can find a F1.8 from years gone by.
    Unless of course you are using Nikon