Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Canon 80D Announcement

Hi Guys,

Canon announced the new 80D overnight.

https://www.canon.com.au/80d/

It's certainly an interesting option at the high end of the consumer market. Personally this presents me with a dilemma dependant on AUD pricing. Do I get one of these or do I save the extra $500(ish) and get the 7D2.

What are everyone's thoughts?

Cheers,

S.
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Current Gear:
    Canon 600D | Sigma 18-250mm f3.5-6.3 | Canon 50mm f1.8 II | Tamron 150-600m f5-6.3 | Manfrotto 680B Monopod
    All kept in: Lowepro Protactic 350AW

The GAS never ends.
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Arch-Σigmoid Ausphotography Regular ameerat42's Avatar
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Such choices! Might I offer an ascetic option:
    Sell all your stuff and give your money away, become a hermit, and take up cave-painting

Advantage: in 1000s of years people will marvel at your art work
    CC, Image editing OK.

Ausphotography Regular
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Mmmmm. Interesting. Very tempting
    Cheers, Ann

60D, Canon 18-200mm, Canon Fisheye, Canon Macro, Canon 50mm prime, Tripod. Photoshop Elements, Picasa.

www.travellerspoint.com/users/aussirose www.flickr.com/aussirose

Arch-Σigmoid Ausphotography Regular ameerat42's Avatar
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by aussirose View Post
    Mmmmm. Interesting. Very tempting
    Throw in a Palaeo diet and you've got it made

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm wondering what Canon are going to do naming-wise in their xxD range after the 90D. We've seen 10D through to 80D in increments of 10.
    The xxxD range starting at the 300D and currently the 760D have always been a lower budget/ performance range.

Threadstarter
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Babu View Post
    I'm wondering what Canon are going to do naming-wise in their xxD range after the 90D. We've seen 10D through to 80D in increments of 10.
    The xxxD range starting at the 300D and currently the 760D have always been a lower budget/ performance range.
    Probably follow in the footsteps of the rest of the tech world and just start again ala "The NEW 10D"

Having said that the 10D was first released in 2003 so it wouldn't be too bad if they just called it a 10D again seeing as its still probably 6 or 7 years away.

Cheers,

S.

D750 Shines
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Canon 010D

Nikon D750,D500,Z6,Coolpix P7700
    Nikkor 300mm f/4E PF ED VR, Nikkor 16-35mm f/4 VR, Tokina 11-16mm f/2.8, Tokina 100mm f/2.8, Tamron 60mm f/2 , Tamron SP 24-70mm f2.8 VC Di, Nikon Z 24-70mm f/4
    FTZ adapator
    Sigma 50mm f/1.4 Art

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by spootz01 View Post
    Hi Guys,
    Canon announced the new 80D overnight.

https://www.canon.com.au/80d/

It's certainly an interesting option at the high end of the consumer market. Personally this presents me with a dilemma dependant on AUD pricing. Do I get one of these or do I save the extra $500(ish) and get the 7D2.

What are everyone's thoughts?
    As always, it depends on what you shoot. If it's birds or sport, the 7D2 will win on frame rate and ruggedness. If it's video or macro the articulated screen and live view focus on an x0D wins.

For mine, I use my 7D2 for birds, and a 5D3 for about everything else (digital).
    Gear monkey and proud. Brisbane.

Fishy
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Put it on the never never and buy both cheers Brian
    Cheers Brian.

Canon 7D Kit lenses EFS 18-55 IS EFS 55-250 IS EF28-90 Canon EF 2xll Extender Sigma DG150-500 OS Speedlight 420EX. 580EX

Ausphotography irregular Mark L's Avatar
    Mentioned
    34 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    The next in the range may be 80D2.

Thanks, more confusion. Just starting to think about a new camera.
    "Enjoy what you can do rather than being frustrated at what you can't." bobt
    Canon 80D, 60D, Canon 28-105, Sigma 150-600S.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just bought my GF a 70D. She's used a 500D for yonks. I couldn't see the point in spending another $500 to go to an 80D.. The whole idea behind bringing out a new anything is for it to be better than it's predecessor, while it is im still not that convinced with it. Money Better spent on good glass.
    Last edited by Thor; 13-03-2016 at 11:45pm. Reason: spelling mistake

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I agree strictfunctor. I generally use a 500mm f/4 II or a 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6 II (sometimes with extenders) on my 7D II for distant wildlife and my 5DsR for just about everything else.
    During a recent cruise around PNG, West Papua, Raja Ampat and the Spice Islands, the 5DsR captured the sing sings, the people,the villages, the sea/ landscapes in wonderful resolution.
    The 7D II captured the red birds of paradise at Palau Gam and the total solar eclipse (from our sundeck, at the Equator) on March 9. It coped well with the high humidity and regular showers (protected
    by umbrellas and plastic shrouds). I don't know how well (weather sealing wise) the 80D would perform in this environment.
    I would get the 7D II as it is Canon's as close as possible professional crop factor camera.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Where there are improvements in newer models, Thor, it seems to me that they are often not improvements which positively affect my areas of interest in photography eg. 4k video. However an increased frame rate in a new model would be of much greater interest.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The biggest difference between the 70D (which I own) and the new 80D is the sensor and processor.
    From what I've been reading, the A/D circuitry is now on the chip instead of being a separate chip, and therefor it should have less noise at low ISO's.
    The new 1Dx2 is much the same in that the sensor has the A/D converter on chip, and the 1Dx2 also has a cooling pipe built in to keep the processors cool enough to do long 4K videos.

I only use my 70D for video and some macro work, leaving my 5D3 to do all the grunt work, but now that the 80D will take 60fps full HD video, it might be worth updating.

Still waiting for the new 5D4 (or whatever they call it) to come out and see if it has 4K video.
    All my photos are taken with recycled pixels.
    Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit.
    Wisdom, is knowing not to serve it in a fruit salad.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Why not 80E? Or 80C? Or any other letter? It's not as if the "D" has meant anything at all since the days when the 20D was a pup. The "D" stands for "digital", and when was the last time anyone brought out a new 35mm film camera? Was it even this century?
    Tony

It's a poor sort of memory that only works backwards.

Ausphotography irregular Mark L's Avatar
    Mentioned
    34 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Tannin View Post
    Why not 80E? Or 80C? Or any other letter? It's not as if the "D" has meant anything at all since the days when the 20D was a pup. The "D" stands for "digital", and when was the last time anyone brought out a new 35mm film camera? Was it even this century?
    But it is 80D and no one was talking about film.
    Was looking at 7Dii before 80D was released. Actually interest in what you think Tannin?