Thanks useful information Thanks useful information:  2
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Travelling with gear

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Travelling with gear

Hi, I'm travelling on a plane for the first time in quite a long time (which makes me realise how long it's been since I've had a decent holiday lol), and was just wondering what to expect from airports/cabin crew when travelling with camera & gear.

I have a nice well padded Lowepro backpack but just wondering what to expect going through security etc. Also what made me wonder, do the machines have any effect on things like memory cards? I'm assuming not because I havent heard of warnings or people being caught out, but I would rather be safe than sorry!

Any additional tips or tricks to travelling smart or easier with cameras is much appreciated.
    Olympus bodies: E330 & the E3. Lenses: Zuiko 12-60mm, 50-200mm. Sigma 105mm. Extras: EX25, FL36R, FL50R and a few odds and ends

"A stranger is just a friend you don't know yet!" ~ Billy Connelly

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Get insurance is my best advice

Your bag might be weighed, if over sling the camera around your neck and stuff the lenses in your pockets etc, and just repack once onboard

The xray machines are no problem
    Darren
    Gear : Nikon Goodness
    Please support Precious Hearts
    Constructive Critique of my images always appreciated

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I travel a lot. Usually take 10-11kg of gear on with me as well as a netbook as hand luggage. Never had it weighed. I have it all in 1 bag and try to pick it up so as it looks light If you look like you're struggling with it you'll be pinged.

The Commander
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Travelled a few times with my kit and a tripod - lowpro backpack. Never been quired and nor would I expect to when I see many passengers with wheel on mini cases that are larger than my camera bag and only just fit down the isle. I practice the same technique, lift the bag like it is nothing especially when scanning the boarding pass as you board. I never let the hostie put my bag in sotrage and I always put it to the corner so only one side is exposed.
    The other odd thing is I have traveled with bag and tripod twice, medium sized tripod. The first time I was asked if I had a bag for it and I said no (Virgin AL) so they gave me one of those stripped bags to wrap around the tripod with the top still sticking out. The person on the boarding desk said they would not allow it on the plane without a bag over it. Next time, used the tripod carry bag and once checked what it was all was good. The tipod fits long ways in the overhead no worries.
    Last edited by mikew09; 17-07-2011 at 9:59am.
    Please be honest with your Critique of my images. I may not always agree, but I will not be offended - CC assists my learning and is always appreciate

https://mikeathome.smugmug.com/

Canon 5D3 - Gripped, EF 70-200 L IS 2.8 MkII, , 24-105 L 4 IS MkI, 580 EX II Speedlite, 2x 430 Ex II Speedlite

Arch-Σigmoid Ausphotography Regular ameerat42's Avatar
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Don't take anything sharp (-ish, -ish deemable, -ish dreamable) such as even a small screwdriver, nail clippers with pointy bits, long-nose tweezers, etc in the carry-on luggage. Also, don't take pictures during take-off and landing, or whenever they announce NOT to use electronic gear.
    And have a good trip.
    Am. (Not Pan.)
    CC, Image editing OK.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I always pack my tripod into my checked in suitcase! I carry a lowepro backback with my camera body and 3 lenses and other stuff and agree with the others about picking it up as if it were lightweight. I have never had it weighed or been questioned. A few of my pro photographer friends who have way more gear than me also put lenses in the pockets of their jacket and wear a camera around their neck. I would never pack camera bodies or lenses into your suitcase (have you seen how rough they are with baggage!!) Also insurance is a must, I left my camera bag on the plane once (it was uninsured) and it took 4 days of constant ringing and asking if it had been handed in yet to get it back. Staff were shocked that I actually got it back and put it down to my persistence and phone harrassment!! Needless to say my current kit is insured!! I know ,I know you are all asking how can one possible 'forget' to get their camera bag! Well, at the time I was travelling alone with a toddler in tow with several items of hand luggage to juggle!! The mums out there will understand!! Hope this helps!

Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That's great, thank you everyone!! These are very handy things to know I'm glad i asked!

Perpetually Bewildered
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If possible I stow my backpack under the seat in front rather than in an overhead locker.

Quote Originally Posted by ameerat42 View Post
    Am. (Not Pan.)

Cheers.
    Phil.

Some Nikon stuff. I shoot Mirrorless and Mirrorlessless.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by fillum View Post
    If possible I stow my backpack under the seat in front rather than in an overhead locker.

Cheers.
    Ha that was my downfall when I left my camera on the plane! I stuffed two bags under the seat in front, the first being my camera gear and when I got off I only grabbed the second bag. I couldn't see my camera gear and walked off without it!
    Canon 5diii; Canon 7D; Canon 3.5 15-85mm IS USM; Canon 4-5.6 70-300mm IS USM; Canon 1.4 50mm , Canon Macro 100mm 2.8 L IS USM, Canon 35mm 1.4 L USM, Canon 24-105mm L IS USM, CPL and UV filters, manfrotto tripod and Lowepro backpack plus dreams for so much more!!

Ausphotography Regular
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Tripod goes in the check in case.

Camera, filters and lenses etc come with me on the plane. I probably have 10kg in my Lowepro backpack that is hand luggage size and never had an issue on big or small planes.

All my lenses and camera a fully insured - essentially anything can happen to them and I will get a replacement.
    "Nature photography is about choosing a location, crawling through dirt, being bitten by insects and occasionally taking a great image". - Wayne Eddy.

Canon 5D MkIII, Canon 7D, 17-40mm f/4L,
    24-105mm f/4L
    + Canon 70-200mm f/2.8L IS +400mm f/5.6L + Canon 1.4xTC + Canon 100 EF f2.8 USM + 430-EX

Ausphotography Regular
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You'll prolly get away with too heavy carry-on luggage, but do know that approximately 4,500 passengers are injured each year from falling baggage (source). Believe me, you'll never want anything heavier than a balloon in those overhead bins once you've seen what damage a 10kg piece of luggage can do to you crashing down during a bit of turbulence.

So, if you do decide to bring all your photographic gear on board, make sure you pack it under the seat in front of you.

Ground personnel (security, ground-stewardesses, ...) may ask you to unpack and weigh everything if they are in a bad mood. Usually, you'll get away with it but sometimes you won't. Make sure your luggage fits within the limits as described on the ticket, especially when travelling with low-budget airlines.
    Ciao, Joost

All feedback is highly appreciated!

http://steveaxford.smugmug.com/
    About in the middle between Byron Bay, Ballina and Lismore
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    How many people really need more than 7kg of camera gear in their hand luggage anyway? Take the important stuff with you, the rest can be checked in. I've traveled a lot and I've gradually become less paranoid as time goes on.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve Axford View Post
    How many people really need more than 7kg of camera gear in their hand luggage anyway? Take the important stuff with you, the rest can be checked in. I've traveled a lot and I've gradually become less paranoid as time goes on.
    I do, most of the time. Depends if you are traveling for work, even for fun sometimes.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Agreed with the point that you become less paranoid with experience, tripod always gets stuffed into the checked baggage and lately i've also been putting a couple of less valuable lenses in checked baggage too. I always make sure they are very well protected in travel cases and in amongst my clothes though. Just do it mainly because i'm sick of having hand luggage that weighs a ton and i have to lug around.

Ash
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Ash

Nikon D80
    Nikkor 50mm f1.4
    Nikkor 35mm f2.0
    Nikkor 75-300mm AF f4.5-5.6
    Sigma 10-20mm f4 - 5.6

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Which Lowepro backpack are people using for their carry-on luggage? I'm looking to buy an airline carry-on compliant backpack (preferably with a laptop section) for my camera gear.

http://steveaxford.smugmug.com/
    About in the middle between Byron Bay, Ballina and Lismore
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by JM Tran View Post
    I do, most of the time. Depends if you are traveling for work, even for fun sometimes.
    You're just paranoid, Jackie. Why do you "need" to carry more than 7kg with you on the plane? I may take 15kg at times, but only the camera, a couple of lenses and maybe a battery charger goes in cabin luggage with me.

Ausphotography Regular
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Put all of your camera gear on your kit hen table, then choose only the absolute essentials, then take only half of what's left.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve Axford View Post
    You're just paranoid, Jackie. Why do you "need" to carry more than 7kg with you on the plane? I may take 15kg at times, but only the camera, a couple of lenses and maybe a battery charger goes in cabin luggage with me.

ummm because I travel for client work around the world and have had 5 situations where I had to run out and hire stuff in HK, Shanghai, Saigon and London where my luggage did not arrive with me on time thus missing out on some stuff? These slight mishaps eat into my profit and increase expenses and not too big of a deal to claim insurance back on.

do I need 1 or 2 bodies, 2-3 lenses, laptop, a few flashes and accessories as carry-on? Yes I do - minimum amount of gear to be able to land in a city and go to work right away. Monolights, tripods, mini booms can go in suitcase along with spare clothes. Hell, I can even fit a spare set of lightweight clothes in my carry-on too alongside camera gear.

not to mention my stuff and another friend has been rummaged through in Manila, none of my stuff was stolen but she was missing about 20USD or so.

do over 60 flights like I have in the last 2 years for photography and come back and tell me if Im paranoid or simply know what to prioritize in carrying now.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Although there is much to be said for leaving the heavy stuff at home and renting it when you need it...was just in Singapore and picked up a 70-200 for the times that I needed tit for AUD40 a pop... beats the hell out of carrying it around the world.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by maccaroneski View Post
    Although there is much to be said for leaving the heavy stuff at home and renting it when you need it...was just in Singapore and picked up a 70-200 for the times that I needed tit for AUD40 a pop... beats the hell out of carrying it around the world.
    I do the same, but only available in countries which has those services. Certainly not in places like Mongolia or Cambodia etc

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast