User Tag List

Thanks useful information Thanks useful information:  6

Thread: Sigma 12-24

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Sigma 12-24

Thinking about the Sigma 12-24 II as a REALLY wide for my 5dII..any thoughts?

Arch-Σigmoid Ausphotography Regular ameerat42's Avatar
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That's a broad statement! Depends on your field of view.
    m.
    CC, Image editing OK.

Threadstarter
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ameerat42 View Post
    That's a broad statement! Depends on your field of view.
    m.
    Thanks for that....

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I believe 1 or 2 AP'ers have this lens and are pretty happy with it. Most of the review sites (eg. http://www.photozone.de/canon_eos_ff...a1224f4556iiff) rate the 12-24 II quite well. Still from the older generation of Sigma's where a good quality unit can be a lucky dip. Optically it's not perfect but for something that wide it does very well, there's no other rectilinear lens near it. It is on my 'short list'. If Sigma were to re-release it with the quality control and refinement of the new 'C', 'A' & 'S' series models I'd buy one tomorrow.

EOS 1D MKIII x2, EOS 6D; Samyang 14 2.8 IF ED UMC, EF 17-40 4 L, EF 24-70 2.8 L, EF 50 1.4, EF 85 1.8, EF 70-200 2.8 L IS, EF 100 2.8 macro, EF 400 5.6 L, 1.4x II TC, EF25 ET; Speelite 580EX, 430EX; Nissin Di866II; Yongnuo YN560i/ii & YN460ii, YN622C's, RF602's; Gitzo GT3541XLS + Markins Q20i; Manfrotto 055XProB + Giottos MH1301; Manfrotto 680B c/w Kirk MPA-1; Tamrac Pro5, ThinkTank Airport Accelerator, Airport Antidote V2, Pro Speed Belt + Racing Harness + Modular Skin Set; Lightroom 5.3, Photoshop CS5.
    myflickr

Scarlet letters aren't that bad.. I rather like L

Ausphotography Regular
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'd assume that you're considering it, because you need 12mm to 16mm (or 12mm to 17mm)?

If such is the case, it appears, on paper at least, as what Wobble's wrote: "there's no other rectilinear [zoom] lens near it"

WW

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I agree Wobbles. I've followed this lens since the mark 1 and when the mark II was released I nearly bought one.
    However, like you, I've been waiting for greater assurance on quality control. Let's hope that occurs fairly soon as I'd like to acquire such a widey.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have this lens and also a 5d ii too. I am happy with it. It's a great combination with a ff body.....

A royal pain in the bum! arthurking83's Avatar
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm hoping to get this lens in a week or so.
    (hopefully)Going to the photo show in Melb on Sat to see if Sigma will give me one first(because I'm such a nice guy)!

If not(me being a nice chap), I'll make plentiful exposures with one on my D800 prior to deciding if this is a lens worthy of purchase.
    Nikon D800E, D300, D70s
    {Nikon}; -> 50/1.2 : 500/8 : 105/2.8VR Micro : 180/2.8 ais : 105mm f/1.8 ais : 24mm/2 ais
    {Sigma}; ->10-20/4-5.6 : 50/1.4 : 12-24/4.5-5.6II : 150-600mm|S
    {Tamron}; -> 17-50/2.8 : 28-75/2.8 : 70-200/2.8 : 300/2.8 SP MF : 24-70/2.8VC

{Yongnuo}; -> YN35/2N : YN50/1.8N

Threadstarter
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by arthurking83 View Post
    I'm hoping to get this lens in a week or so.
    (hopefully)Going to the photo show in Melb on Sat to see if Sigma will give me one first(because I'm such a nice guy)!

If not(me being a nice chap), I'll make plentiful exposures with one on my D800 prior to deciding if this is a lens worthy of purchase.
    Let us know how it goes please...

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Will do.

My plan is to capture some images with lenses like the 14-24, 16-35, and 18-35 Nikons, and also with the Sigma 12-24 at the show.
    While not scientific, I'm not using the lenses for any scientific purpose. I just want to use them for general photography uses.
    Hopefully there'll be enough light somewhere in the hall to produce meaningful comparisons tho.

I also have a few more lenses on a hit list I want to fulfill too.

(if I decide I like the 12-24)I'm hoping to have one next week(if I have the time to get out to get it too).

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Have owned 2 of the original versions, as I lost one in VN in a taxi boot, and the current mark 2 version.

Been using them for speciality work shots for maybe 4 years or more. The first ever one I had was sharp, 2nd one not so great on the 5D2, but when switched over to the 5D3 I noticed a big lift in overall sharpness.

However, the current mark 2 version, is very sharp and a drastic improvement on all levels from the first model.
    Commercial/Editorial/Wedding work - www.jackietranphoto.com
    Travel Photography - www.wanderingasianguy.com

Broncolor lights up my world.

Threadstarter
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by JM Tran View Post
    Have owned 2 of the original versions, as I lost one in VN in a taxi boot, and the current mark 2 version.

Been using them for speciality work shots for maybe 4 years or more. The first ever one I had was sharp, 2nd one not so great on the 5D2, but when switched over to the 5D3 I noticed a big lift in overall sharpness.

However, the current mark 2 version, is very sharp and a drastic improvement on all levels from the first model.
    Thanks jackie....this is pretty well whats posted in most reviews but great to hear it from a neutral source.Credit card might take a hit soon.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sadly the brainless trust at Sigma thought it was better not to bring in sample lenses for one of the most popular lens brands at the digital photography show.
    They only had in some Canon mount lenses this year. Last year they had Nikon too, and I had a ball asking for this lens and that lens .. etc.

So, no sample images from me unfortunately(for me).

I still reckon I'll probably get one this week.