User Tag List

Thanks useful information Thanks useful information:  4
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Re-installing Photoshop on same computer.

A. P's Culinary Indiscriminant
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Re-installing Photoshop on same computer.

Mongo had a small problem whereby he had to re-set his computer back in time to fix it. Unfortunately, photoshop was installed in the process along with one or two other small programs. Got out the original CD to re-load it and now it will not re-load. It is talking about placing back components in their original location and about deactivating and re-activating. Can anyone help – Mongo is really getting sick of all this c**p from programs like this.
    Nikon and Pentax user

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If it were me, Id probably un-install photoshop and then reinstall it from scratch
    Darren
    Gear : Nikon Goodness
    Please support Precious Hearts
    Constructive Critique of my images always appreciated

Arch-Σigmoid Ausphotography Regular ameerat42's Avatar
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What is Mongo's System Operandi? And if you did a System Restore (WinXP talk) then you would have effectively done what Kiwi said.
    I would say - having had some experience in like frustration - that the vestiges of the previous installation include the activation code from that install. (Edit: which sometimes don't respond to Sys Rests.)
    You'd have to run the CD and choose Uninstall. You may have to re-enter the activation code somewhere in the UN-install procedure to verify legal copies, etc.

If you have success there, then re-start the engine and re-install. Again, at some point, you will need to re-activate the S/W.

It is a pane alright, and even a pain.

Failing the achievement of success in all of the above, contact Adobe.
    Good hunting.
    Am.
    Last edited by ameerat42; 15-03-2011 at 4:25pm.
    CC, Image editing OK.

Threadstarter

Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by kiwi View Post
    If it were me, Id probably un-install photoshop and then reinstall it from scratch
    that is what happened Kiwi. the restore point removed phtoshop and Mongo then tried to re-install it - no go !

However, it is possible the restore point did not remove "ALL" of photoshop i.e some of its components - so Mongo is going to search for them In "Adobe" and get rid of them and then try to re-install truly from "scratch" as you say. Thanks for the advice
    Last edited by mongo; 15-03-2011 at 4:48pm.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yes, I get that, but I think it's probably left stuff behind in an adobe directory or the registry.

Threadstarter

Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    thanks Ameerat 42 - am trying

Threadstarter

Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thank goodness Mongo got it going after all - he was fast running out of fur to pull out !

thanks guys. The secret is to make sure ALL the components are uninstalled including the shared ones. Do this by inserting original disc and choosing remove or uninstall all components etc then run the install again from the same disc.

Bloody time consuming and then having to get all the updates for the last year or so which were lost etc.
    Last edited by mongo; 15-03-2011 at 4:59pm.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    glad you sorted it out mongo - I was going to suggest that there is a cleanup script you can get from adobe that gets rid of the registry info etc from adobe - I've used this before with good effect.
    Call me Dylan! www.everlookphotography.com | www.everlookphotography.wordpress.com | www.flickr.com/photos/dmtoh
    Canon EOS R5, : 16-35mm F4 L, 70-200F4 canon L, 24-70mm 2.8IIcanon L, Sirui tripod + K20D ballhead + RRS ballhead. |Sony A7r2 + Laowa 12mm F2.8, Nisi 15mm F4
    Various NiSi systems : Currently using switch filter and predominantly 6 stop ND, 10 stop ND, 3 stop medium GND
    Post : Adobe lightroom classic CC : Photoshop CC. Various actions for processing and web export

Ausphotography Regular
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Interesting. MY photoshop is/was purchased as an update from Adobe directly as a download, so the only CD I have is from a very early version. Hope I never ever have to do an uninstall.

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by agb View Post
    Interesting. MY photoshop is/was purchased as an update from Adobe directly as a download, so the only CD I have is from a very early version. Hope I never ever have to do an uninstall.
    backup the file you dowloaded that contains photoshop. It is usually a large, self extracting file. I did it the same way, downloaded it, rather than purchase a disk. I have kept copies of that downloaded file both on my backup system and on a USB Drive. You can use that file to uninstall/re-install as needed.
    Last edited by ricktas; 15-03-2011 at 5:38pm.
    "It is one thing to make a picture of what a person looks like, it is another thing to make a portrait of who they are" - Paul Caponigro

Constructive Critique of my photographs is always appreciated
    Nikon, etc!

RICK
    My Photography

Threadstarter

Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Mongo spoke too soon - it is still not working now more than ever. It loaded but when I went to use it , is basically said contact the adminsitrator ie adobe. It was odd it did not ask for the registration code as it did when originally loaded.

Mongo will try a clean up script next but things are not looking good and no matter what happens - Adobe really sucks for creating these problems in their software

Arch-Σigmoid Ausphotography Regular ameerat42's Avatar
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sorry 2 hear that. And anyway, they're not the only 1s who suck. Ever tried removing (specifically Norton's) anti virus s/w? (Gnash teeth...)

It's all about the Light!
    Tech Admin
    Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I reckon this is happening...

1. Install product
    2. Register product
    3. CRASH!!!
    4. Re-build system
    5. Re-install product
    6. Cannot re-register Because key is already registered
    7. Contact supplier and argue until they let you re-register

Or a variation of the above

Ausphotography Regular
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have never done it but is it possible to install the photoshop under a different user account?

Threadstarter

Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Fixed ! Mongo hopes it stays that way this time.

Big thanks to all of you and a special thanks to Dylan.

It seems the only way is to make sure all the components are uninstalled. With photoshop, the only way to be sure of doing that is to download and run their "cleanup script " software and then reinstall. Pain in the bum for sure Adobe - took Mongo over 5 hours to sought out this problem.

Formerly : Apollo62
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    There is a freewware application that you can use to completely remove EVERY component of a program you wish to uninstall. It's called Revo Uninstaller and it will hunt down every file related to the program you wish to uninstall with the click of a few buttons and delete them without the need to manually search for them. You can find it here:http://www.revouninstaller.com/revo_..._download.html

Threadstarter

Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    thank you too Apollo62 !

Who me?
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mongo View Post
    Fixed ! Mongo hopes it stays that way this time.

Big thanks to all of you and a special thanks to Dylan.

It seems the only way is to make sure all the components are uninstalled. With photoshop, the only way to be sure of doing that is to download and run their "cleanup script " software and then reinstall. Pain in the bum for sure Adobe - took Mongo over 5 hours to sought out this problem.
    Sorry Mongo I got to this so late, I had a similar problem about 12 mths ago, and found I had to download and run the cleanup script to remove ALL files associated with that particular version of PS before the new version would install completely , frustrating because when I realised the new version wasn't going to install and tried reinstalling the old version it wouldn't work either, the script was the only way. 5 hours eh ( took me about a week to figure it out) .
    Glad you got it sorted
    Cheers David.

Canon 40D/EF-S 17-85 mm IS/Kenko Extenson Tubes/Canon EF 50mm F/1.8 II (nifty fifty)
    Sigma 10-20mm 4-5.6 /Sigma 70-200/ Sigma 1.4 teleconverter/ some Conkin filters | Adobe Photoshop CS6

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Re the contact administrator. I had the same issue trying to install CS5 in the first place. Eventually Adobe advised me to create a user account on my computer called "Administrator' with administrative rights over my PC and install when logged in as that, and it worked. Seems there is a bug in the installer that with certain systems requires people to be logged in with username 'Administrator' to be able to install CS5.

Threadstarter

Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    thanks David and Rick, Mongo has kept all this info (and the downloaded cleanup script program) for when this happens again. It should take less than 5 hours next time thanks to all the help provided by the AP members.

regards
    Mongo

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast