Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: time to upgrade

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

time to upgrade

Hi guys,

I currently own a Canon 500D equipped with a 18-200mm and 10-22mm lens. I'm ready to upgrade to ff but with a budget of only $2500 i don't know what I should get. I like taking photos of land and seascapes, waterfalls, street, architectural things and animals whenever i get a chance. Ill be going to America at the end of this year so I really want to get my equipment ready for my holiday. Some things ill be taking pictures of are Grand Canyon, bridges in San Fran and New York, buildings in all cities, animals at San Diego Zoo and waterfalls in a few national parks.

My wishlist is as follows:
    Canon 5d mark ii or 6d
    EF 16-35mm f2.8 L II USM or EF 17-40mm f4 L USM, EF 24-70mm f2.8 L II USM or EF 24-70mm f4 L IS USM and EF 70-200mm f2.8 L II USM.
    Lee filter system

Obviously i can't afford all that with $2500 but i'd like to hear your opinions on what combo i should go for even if i have to go secondhand. My biggest dilemma would be which lens i should go for considering i'm not sure if i'll still have my 10-22mm for the trip and plus i don't really want to be lugging 2 cameras overseas.

Thanks id advance!

Jason

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you want to buy new and stay within budget you'll be looking at the 6D with the 17-40 or 24-70 f/4.

Second hand you might fair better with your budget in regards to lenses but I'd still go with a new body.

You could probably sell the 500D and EF-S lenses to boost your budget, if you haven't already accounted for that.

The other side of that is, why do you want FF? You could easily get a 7D or 60D well within that budget and get a nice mid range lens like a 24-70 f/4 or 24-105 f/4 etc... and still have your excellent 10-22 to use.

PS. You're probably look at grey as well to stay within budget.
    Last edited by mikec; 20-02-2013 at 12:11am.

Fishy
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I would buy the 5d3 grey and hire a lens for the overseas trip. Sell your old gear and buy 24-105 or 17-40 around the $700 grey JMHO cheers Brian
    Cheers Brian.

Canon 7D Kit lenses EFS 18-55 IS EFS 55-250 IS EF28-90 Canon EF 2xll Extender Sigma DG150-500 OS Speedlight 420EX. 580EX

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    For San Diego Zoo, I'd be hiring a 500 F4. Even zoo animals will appear small in the frame with shorter focal lengths. In the US, you can hire anything you want. I also wouldn't be worrying about buying any new gear for the trip. You already have a good travel lens in the 18-200. You have a good EF-S wide in the 10-22. You know how to use the 500D. What you don't have is a big enough budget to buy a whole new kit. Save that and buy something new when you know exactly what you want.

Account Closed
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I agree with warbler. Unfortunately you have a budget limit that means you can't get enough FF kit to meet your travel needs as stated. e.g. I would suggest a (6D with the 24-70 f4 lens) kit purchase , plus the 70-300 non-L, but that is probably $3000.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    i would buy a second hand 5d2, 17-40 and 50mm f/1.4 would come within budget.
    1DIII, 5DII, 15mm fish, 24mm ts-e, 35L,135L,200L,400L,mpe-65mm
    Film: eos 300, pentax 6x7

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yep im looking at second hand at the minute to.

5D2 = 1-1200 (all seem to have grips and 4 batteries)
    24-70 2.8 1-1200

samyang 24mm 1.4 $500

pretty sure i can get all that into 2500

Ausphotography Regular
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by nwhc View Post
    Yep im looking at second hand at the minute to.

5D2 = 1-1200 (all seem to have grips and 4 batteries)
    24-70 2.8 1-1200

samyang 24mm 1.4 $500

pretty sure i can get all that into 2500
    I reckon that's a good start buying second hand. I'd suggest a standard zoom first up

But if you (mrrunx) buy a 24 - 70 F/2.8 L, my opinion is that you are wasting $500 on that 24/1.4: especially considering that you do have a final kit in your mind (most people don't) I would work toward that final kit and not futz about with deviations.

WW
    Last edited by William W; 21-02-2013 at 6:28pm.

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Neither of his EF-S lenses will fit a FF camera. He doesn't want to take two bodies with him. With the recommendations above, his longest lens will be 70mm. The zoo ain't looking too good unless you hire Jason. BTW, there's no on-board flash on a 5D of any persuasion either. You'd be better off with a $850 grey 7D. At least you could use your EF-S lenses and the pop-up.

http://www.eglobaldigitalcameras.com...r-cameras.html
    Last edited by Warbler; 21-02-2013 at 7:53pm.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    the 24 is on my list not his.

Warbler weren't you recommending hiring anyways?

Scrap the 24 and put that towards the renting of a big zoom or prime, I would rather that over a 7D. And you can sell the crop body and efs lenses

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by nwhc View Post
    the 24 is on my list not his.

Warbler weren't you recommending hiring anyways?

Scrap the 24 and put that towards the renting of a big zoom or prime, I would rather that over a 7D. And you can sell the crop body and efs lenses
    Yeah I was replying to the suggestions for OP, not your wish list.

Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for the replies, suggestions and your opinions people.

I went to the shops to have a feel of the cameras and I'm liking the 6d because it feels much lighter than the 5d mark ii and I'm wanting to get into night photography so shooting in higher ISO is also whats pulling me in. As for what lens I'm still undecided but knowing I'm not in a rush leaves me some time to save up more. What lenses I end up with will also depend on weather or not I can sell my current camera + lenses and for what price.

Ausphotography Veteran
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What is wrong with the 500D and why do you want a full frame are the first 2 questions I would ask. I went through a similar dilemma just over 3 years ago with my 400D, 18-250 and 10-20 Sigma's.
    For myself with a $2500 budget I would get (did get) a 7D and a 150-500 Sigma and keep the 500D as a backup as the return selling this kit would be very little.
    Cheers
    Keith.
    Keith

Canon 400D Gripped, Canon 7D LCD Timer Gripped, Canon 70-200 f2.8L is ii. Canon 2X iii Extender, Canon 50mm 1.8, Sigma 150-500, Sigma 18-250, Sigma 17-50 F2.8, Sigma 10-20, Tamron 90mm Macro, Yonguno YN460 & 460ii Speedlights and a Hanimax TZ 1 Flash, Wireless Triggers ,LED Macro Ringlight, Extension Tubes, 3 tripods, 2 monopods, PS Elements 5 & 10, PSP9 and canon s/ware, various filters and other photographic paraphernalia all packed in a computrecker backpack. NEW:- Panasonic GX8, 45-150, 14mm F2.5. PSE 2018.

Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I want full frame mainly for the better picture quality but if to be honest I'm abit materialistic when it comes to buying things. Some people buy nice cars, clothes or eat at fancy restaurants whereas I like to save up and splurge abit on camera equipment. I may or may not need a 6d but I think it will fit my needs perfectly compared to the 500d. I think keeping the 500d will just collect dust whereas selling my current equipment will allow me to purchase another lens/flash/filter system etc.

Cheers

Ausphotography Regular
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mrrunx View Post
    I went to the shops to have a feel of the cameras and I'm liking the 6d because it feels much lighter than the 5d mark ii and I'm wanting to get into night photography so shooting in higher ISO is also whats pulling me in. As for what lens I'm still undecided . . .
    . . . your ‘wish list’ revolves around a final kit of three zooms.

Logically the most ‘versatile’ for the most general range of photography, are the two 24 to 70 lenses – so the choice will likely come between those two.

Therefore, I suggest you think through the: “Image Stabilization vs. Extra stop of Aperture Speed” arguments.

Of course, if you choose that Image Stabilization has the advantage for you, then the EF 24 to 105F/4 IS USM, must then reckon in contention – and I wondered why it was not included, in the first inst..

WW

Ausphotography Regular
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by bricat View Post
    I would buy the 5d3 grey and hire a lens for the overseas trip. Sell your old gear and buy 24-105 or 17-40 around the $700 grey JMHO cheers Brian
    I back what Brian has said, except I would strongly suggest the 24-105mm. It's more versatile.
    My website has my most recent work - mostly music photography. I am a photographer for Violent Soho, Dune Rats and more.

I also have a photography podcast you might love, or download some Lightroom presets.

Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by William W View Post
    . . . your ‘wish list’ revolves around a final kit of three zooms.

Logically the most ‘versatile’ for the most general range of photography, are the two 24 to 70 lenses – so the choice will likely come between those two.

Therefore, I suggest you think through the: “Image Stabilization vs. Extra stop of Aperture Speed” arguments.

Of course, if you choose that Image Stabilization has the advantage for you, then the EF 24 to 105F/4 IS USM, must then reckon in contention – and I wondered why it was not included, in the first inst..

WW
    After reading a few reviews I am quite sold on the 24-70 f4 compared to the 24-105 f4 although the price difference is like double! I've read that its sharper at the 24mm side and on par around the 70mm side. The extra zoom is nice but not necessary as in the future i'd like to own a 70-200mm lens. The 24-70 f2.8 is just out of my budget and doesn't have that macro mode i'm interested in.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Fedgrub View Post
    I back what Brian has said, except I would strongly suggest the 24-105mm. It's more versatile.

5d3 would be awesome to own but it's out of my budget unfortunately and would rather spend the money on lenses instead. Family members will be heading to Hong Kong before my American trip so ill be getting them to buy my equipment there

Ausphotography Regular
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    After reading a few reviews I am quite sold on the 24-70 f4 compared to the 24-105 f4 although the price difference is like double! I've read that its sharper at the 24mm side and on par around the 70mm side. The extra zoom is nice but not necessary as in the future i'd like to own a 70-200mm lens.
    Thanks for expanding on that point

Understood.

WW

Ausphotography Veteran
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    After reading a few reviews I am quite sold on the 24-70 f4 compared to the 24-105 f4 although the price difference is like double! I've read that its sharper at the 24mm side and on par around the 70mm side. The extra zoom is nice but not necessary as in the future i'd like to own a 70-200mm lens. The 24-70 f2.8 is just out of my budget and doesn't have that macro mode i'm interested in.

- - - Updated - - -

5d3 would be awesome to own but it's out of my budget unfortunately and would rather spend the money on lenses instead. Family members will be heading to Hong Kong before my American trip so ill be getting them to buy my equipment there
    Just a touch over what your looking at but well worth it.
    By all reports, the 6D and the 24 - 70 F4 are a great buy, the range will suit most of your needs, and as mentioned above, if you really find a need for a long focal length, just rent it. As for the 70 - 200 mm, you will be hard pressed to get a better zoom lens than this. A must for your kit down the line, also a very good long landscape lens, mountain shots and the like.

Brian500 one of the regulars, runs a yearly most used lens topic, it seems that the short focal lengths wins every year. You can search under F/Stop forum from memory..

Enjoy your trip.

P.S. Incase you haven't come across here and here
    Last edited by Roosta; 01-03-2013 at 3:06pm.
    They call me "Blue" it's a red head thing.
    "My Flickr Site"
    Canon Bodies - 1DMk2N + 50D - Lenses - 17-35mm F2.8 L - 24-70mm F2.8 L - 70-200mm F2.8 L - 300mm F4 IS L - Sigma 18-50mm F2.8 - Sigma 10-20mm - DJI Mavic Pro Platinum
    " I Never get tired of looking at our diverse country, even if its through the lens of someone else".
    CC is always appreciated.

Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Roosta View Post
    Just a touch over what your looking at but well worth it.
    By all reports, the 6D and the 24 - 70 F4 are a great buy, the range will suit most of your needs, and as mentioned above, if you really find a need for a long focal length, just rent it. As for the 70 - 200 mm, you will be hard pressed to get a better zoom lens than this. A must for your kit down the line, also a very good long landscape lens, mountain shots and the like.

Brian500 one of the regulars, runs a yearly most used lens topic, it seems that the short focal lengths wins every year. You can search under F/Stop forum from memory..

Enjoy your trip.

P.S. Incase you haven't come across here and here
    Thanks for your opinion Roosta!

I wish the 24-70mm f4 was cheaper. For $2800 I could pick up 6d + 17-40mm f4 + 24-105mm f4 which i think is a wiser move. I won't have money for the 70-200mm this year so I'm going to look into hiring that for America. I still have to save up for my Lee filters aswell.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast