User Tag List

Thanks useful information Thanks useful information:  28
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Does everyone want to be a photographer now?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Does everyone want to be a photographer now?

I've noticed in the last couple of years that so many people want to be photographers.

I love it as a hobby but even if i decided in the future to pursue a career in it (although highly unlikely) i can't imagine how one can make a living from it these days as there are so many out there.

It seems everyone is doing a course or workshop, buying SLR's (yes of course this doesn't make anyone a photographer) etc.
    Sometimes i wonder what the future of photography will be, is it an art that has kind of become cheapened in the sense that so many can do it....although not necessarily professionally or even well?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yes. Yes they do.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've wanted to be a photographer since I was about 8 or 10. At least in my lifetime, pretty much everyone has been able to take family snaps. The gear's much better these days though, and budding photographers are more prolific. I don't think that cheapens photography though... buying a DSLR and posting family snaps on Facebook does not the pro photographer make, no more than buying a nice guitar at your local music store makes you a musician. I've seen great guitarists play amazing music on a cheap Squier, and I've seen people really suck on an expensive custom instrument. Similarly I've seen loads of sucky pictures taken on a high end DSLR and some amazing images snapped on a cheap POS.
    Last edited by Eberbachl; 12-05-2012 at 1:22am.
    Please don't hesitate to provide me with CC! I'd love to hear your thoughts regarding any of my images. Thanks!

Fishy
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What is probably not good now for the pro is nearly everyone is taking snaps with the iphone/and other types and being "Johnny on the spot" that shot is being used by the media outlets. Pro's will always have work they might just have to reinvent the wheel. cheers Brian
    Cheers Brian.

Canon 7D Kit lenses EFS 18-55 IS EFS 55-250 IS EF28-90 Canon EF 2xll Extender Sigma DG150-500 OS Speedlight 420EX. 580EX

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I think your title says it all 'does everyone WANT to be a photographer'.

Go on FB and look at the number of people who have photography pages and yes it would seem so, cause most of them still should be in the WANT category. Facebook is free, and therefore they can setup their 'business' with a few clicks and voila. It would be interesting to see how many of them have an ABN, registered business and take our public liability insurance, etc.

The future of photography will be a lot of dusty entry level DSLR's in cupboards around the world, or up for sale on E-Bay to the next gen of 'wannabes', and those that take the time and learn the skills needed, setup a 'proper' business and work hard will still be the professional photographers.

Most people own cars, and some dream of being a race car driver, but even though cars are everywhere, only a relative few make it to the top.
    "It is one thing to make a picture of what a person looks like, it is another thing to make a portrait of who they are" - Paul Caponigro

Constructive Critique of my photographs is always appreciated
    Nikon, etc!

RICK
    My Photography

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    So of just want to take good photo of our sport and friends and Family as I now where I live, especially in the sport that I do their no one that goes around the draft and sell their photo's (their a few photography that go to couple of the events. An the other point is that not everyone can a pay the price of a pro photographer as I now from my self when I got married and had my little girl the price of have newborn shot where 650 - 800 dollars for 4 photo's with one of then being printed at 11 x 15 inch to put on the wall and when I got married the best price I got from pro photograph was $3500 with out travel and for only 3 hours ( they guy to did my wedding came for the whole day and I end up with over 200 hundred photo instead of 100. I can understand why pro price are that as the gear that you use are not cheap

As me personal is not trying to a pro but would like one day to sell draft photo's

I believe that their will always be a place in pro photography as i know few people gone out and brought a flash DSLR cameras taken done it for 1 year or two then you never see take photo's again, to me it just the latest crazy that everyone want too do.

Arch-Σigmoid Ausphotography Regular ameerat42's Avatar
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You pick up a camera, you take a photo, you do it regularly.

That is CLEARLY the behaviour of a giraffe!

Thanks for pointing out my error of terminology.

Hey I went to the zoo once and I saw this photographer. He was tall and yellow and spotted...

Anyway, he was a great hit with all the giraffes there...
    CC, Image editing OK.

http://steveaxford.smugmug.com/
    About in the middle between Byron Bay, Ballina and Lismore
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Giraffes?

Everyone who takes photos is a photographer. Then there are exceptional photographers, and then there are professional photographers. We tend to get confused about which is what.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I kind of missread your meaning from the title. I thought you meant, does everyone want to own a camera and take pics (be a photographer)? Probably, the answer is most people! But, I think of myself as a photographer, but have NO aspirations to ever be a pro photographer. I guess it's like, if you have a guitar and play music you're a musician - but that doesn't make you a pro musician.

In my opinion (not terribly educated on the matter) what will change the landscape for pro photographers will more likely be photoshop and other editing tools. The company I work in, every one of the IT guys has a DSLR. Whilst I think I take better photos than them, I certainly don't edit better than them... and as for one of their friends who's also a web designer... his work is amazing.

Of course, none of it looks "real" anymore - but one more generation and I reckon "real" will become irrelevant.
    Cheers,
    Terri

Nikon D90 | Olympus XZ-1 | Nikkor 35mm f1.8 | Nikon 17-55mm f2.8 | Nikon 105mm f2.8 Micro | Nikon 50mm f1.4 | Nikon 18-105mm VR | Photoshop Element 7.0 | Manfrotto 190X

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    For me my aims are simple, ) take photos for my personal enjoyment and have something to remember places I have been or things I have done, and 2) get a great storm photo one day that I can print large. No interest in making money and I am under no illusions that I have the talent to do so.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Lazyshooter View Post
    For me my aims are simple,....... get a great storm photo one day that I can print large.
    Brilliant!

Ausphotography Regular
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don't think EVERYONE wants to be a photographer. There must be at least 1 or 2 that don't, some where.

JJ

Arch-Σigmoid Ausphotography Regular ameerat42's Avatar
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve Axford View Post
    Giraffes?

Everyone who takes photos is a photographer. Then there are exceptional photographers, and then there are professional photographers. We tend to get confused about which is what.
    QED.

Ausphotography Regular
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The contex of the whole thread is professional photography, ie charging for services.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The race driver analogy is an interesting one.

In another life, I used to give people demonstration runs on a racetrack.
    I would take them around for 3 laps.
    The first lap at about 8/10's, the second at around 9.5/10's and if they weren't screaming by then (and many of them were), I'd show them some drifting for the last lap.
    When you go into the first corner at around 160km/h then throw the car sideways, it really seperates the wannabees!
    At the end of the 3 laps, most of the people were white and shaking, and many people would tell me that they thought they were good drivers, but they could NEVER drive like that, and live.

Same with wannabee photographers.
    They THINK they are good, until they start comparing the skills and experience of a good pro tog.
    All my photos are taken with recycled pixels.
    Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit.
    Wisdom, is knowing not to serve it in a fruit salad.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Great thread. Saturday must be my rant day......( apologies, its long)

One thing I've discovered, only recently having gone into photography as a committed hobbyist, is that I like the creative side of things, and therefore would lean towards the label ( if i had to have a label) of photograpic artist.

You don't see lanscapes in B&W, or anything else for that matter, and as I love monochrome treatments mostly, I believe I will still apply PP to finalise my works in the future () so I think 'artist' would be a better description of what I 'want to be' . I just use a camera & photos & PC as my tools.

Art is subjective. This means everyone can have a go & should, dont you think? That's the whole idea of art - expression from individuals.

"Susan Boyle" didnt sing publicly until she was able to. I wonder if she considered herself a singer before her debut? And what a sad loss if she had to have someone else tell her she could sing before she did venture out and sing. We'd miss alot of good stuff if we limited peoples rights to create on a basic level.
    ( I think )

As for being ' among the best' - with technology being a base for all education today, and digital graphic design and other degrees available to graduates, who learn everything & all techniques available in a structured way that gives them a tested competency of the craft, I know its a long learning path for me. But that's the point. I'm learning, having fun, being creative & maybe even getting better - with no pressure, as it is not my job. It's my passion. It may take me 20 years to become and be regarded as adequate, while a 25 year old who made the decision to do it at 16 will blitz me with technique & skill and produce very competant works in no time. But that doesnt concern me. This is my journey. And I dont pretend its anything else. In 20 years time when I retire ( pending lotto letting me down) I want something to do! Thats why I got into it. I like beautiful photos. I wanna make some! Some day

If someone likes something I do one day enough to commit cash to it, then wonderful! It may pay to remember Picasso had no $ or real respect until after he died. It didnt stop him from being an artist though, because that's what he wanted to be. And even today some dont like his work. Art is subjective.

I do see the same thing you do & understand what you mean. People taking rubbish photos and proclaiming to be 'photographers' is frustrating when as a learner you are always learning - just to be better at the art ( ok I said it) . Seems they are self validating their work. Kinda like marketing. People think it's good 'cos they says so. People like some pics I put on Facebook. I know better than to think it makes me a 'professional photographer' or even a competent one.

When it comes down to it, serious professional high end photographers can be accredited members of AIPP, who test togs in field after they have been paid professionals for 2 years+, and give them a serious tick of approval, to separate them from us 'artists'. But I am sure, and know, there are many photographers out there that take outstanding photos and are professionals who have no tick from AIPP. At the end if people want to pay you for what you do , then its their perogitive to do so, even if there are others out there doing a better job.

I think everyones doing it , 'cos everyone can. Can 'have a go' that is. Isn't it wonderful everyone like photos / digita images / art. I think so.

end soapbox
    Last edited by Kerrie; 12-05-2012 at 3:03pm.

Pentax K-r
    Da 15mm & 70mm Ltds, Fa 35mm f2, F 50mm f1.7
    Da*200mm, Tamron 90mm Macro, Sigma 28-105 f2.8

Amor fati!
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    i had no idea being a photographer meant i'd have to have good eye sight.... why did you pick the forums smallest font?

yeah its all mainstream now, yeah anyone can do it... i have no intention of going pro so theres one less competitor for you all

A. P's Culinary Indiscriminant
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    of course ! isn't everyone already...?
    Nikon and Pentax user

Account Closed at member's request
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Plenty of people play cricket, football, afl, rugby etc and yet they don't consider themselves professional sportsmen although no doubt they would want to be if the opportunity arose. Photography like anything else is a combination of talent and hard work.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    In my other life, I am also a jewelllery designer and maker and the same question can be asked and the same answer can be given. Those with the talent and true desire to become pro WILL. Those who don't will dabble for a bit and eventually stop. This shit is actually 87% hard work and business, 10% is doing what the client wants and 3% fun stuff. Most people back off when that sinks in. So you will forever see people starting up micro businesses with dreams of making it big that peter out, it's a never ending cycle. The ones who stick it out are the ones who go pro... and later lament about this very thing. LOL
    [- Instagram -]

Nikon Slave... (D90 & D300S)
    -- CCs extremely welcome, further editing of my photos is not. Thanks!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast