Thanks useful information Thanks useful information:  4
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: graveyard etiquette

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Arrow graveyard etiquette

well, I guess everyone eventually wants to try to take some photos in a graveyard.

what is the etiquette in doing such shoots? ie, is it OK to touch the stones, are there places we shouldn't walk, things the model shouldn't touch or do?

the model wants to do some vampire stuff, we haven't found a graveyard yet, but want somewhere with long rows of stones close together to get the immersive feel.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This depends on exactly what type of shots you were planning with the model.

Normally, my attitude is.

Don't desecrate: she'll be right. So, it you don't walk over; spit on; make fun of; or try to demean...

Applying the "would I like it if it were my mum's grave" test: I'm not sure I would like a bikini or nude model sprawled all over her head-stone (if it were my grave = bikini models = most welcome).

I think a vampire theme may also be a little disrespectful.

At the very least, I'd go to a very old (19th C) graveyard where there are unlikely to be grieving relos turning up.

Scotty
    Last edited by Scotty72; 11-06-2011 at 1:05pm. Reason: dumb error
    Canon 7D : Canon EF 70-200mm f:2.8 L IS II USM - Canon EF 24-105 f:4 L IS USM - Canon EF 50mm f:1.8 - Canon EF-s 18-55mm f:3.5-5.6
    Sigma APO 150-500mm f:5-6.3 DG OS HSM
    - Sigma 10-20mm f:3.5 EX DC HSM
    Speedlite 580 EX II - Nissin Di866 II - Yongnuo 460-II x2 - Kenko extension tube set - Canon Extender EF 1.4x II
    Manfroto monopod - SILK 700DX Pro tripod - Remote release - Cokin Z-Pro filter box + Various filters

Current Social Experiment: CAPRIL - Wearing a cape for the month of April to support Beyond Blue
    Visit me on Flickr

Ausphotography Regular
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    In additon to the above, don't show names on stones. It's almost always possible to shoot from behind the stone and get virtually the same look so do that if you can. It also improves the shot IMHO.

JJ

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Scotty : Applying the "would I like it if it were my mum's grave" test

This sounds very reasonable to me as well
    Canon : 30D, and sometimes the 5D mkIII , Sigma 10-20, 50mm 1.8, Canon 24-105 f4 L , On loan Sigma 120-400 DG and Canon 17 - 40 f4 L , Cokin Filters

I am older than I look.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My mum doesn't have a gravestone, just a brass plaque. BTW, no problems with someone walking over her grave either as it is a lawn cemetery.

I wouldn't complain about a nude model on my grave, but when you are dead, it is hard to complain about anything including the stuff you wouldn't like. I think my dad would appreciate the nude model. He liked the girls, just wasn’t allowed to keep any of them.

BTW, vampires in grave yards - a bit clichéd isn’t it?

If the graves are really, really old, then most respectable stuff should be OK.
    Cheers

PeterB666

Olympus Pen F with Metabones Speed Booster and Laowa 12mm f/2.8 or Voigtlander 10.5mm f/0.95 or Nikon D800 with the Laowa 12mm f/2.8. The need to keep in touch with the past is a Nikon Photomic FTn or Nikon F2A and a Nikkor 25-50mm f/4 AI

A royal pain in the bum! arthurking83's Avatar
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by peterb666 View Post

..... .
    ditto!

I'm thinking something more current, appropriate and with the times!

.... Parliament House!

.. not that they're blood sucking, bottom feeding, lowlifes or nuth'n up there .. of course I would never imply anything like that.

Look for cemetery in some old sparsely populated country town. They generally remain untouched since the turn of the century, and have more room to move about freely with lower visitation rates.
    Unless you want to shoot in the middle of the night, you don't want to have distracting elements in the scene, nor do you want to be impeding any current processions and suchlike.
    Nikon D800E, D300, D70s
    {Nikon}; -> 50/1.2 : 500/8 : 105/2.8VR Micro : 180/2.8 ais : 105mm f/1.8 ais : 24mm/2 ais
    {Sigma}; ->10-20/4-5.6 : 50/1.4 : 12-24/4.5-5.6II : 150-600mm|S
    {Tamron}; -> 17-50/2.8 : 28-75/2.8 : 70-200/2.8 : 300/2.8 SP MF : 24-70/2.8VC

{Yongnuo}; -> YN35/2N : YN50/1.8N

Ausphotography Veteran
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What is that gravyvard you always see in Sydney film production? looks like it disappears into the ocean, from on-high, my guess is on the way to the Southern Beaches.

Any body know?

That would offer some specie views, early morning light and gravestones, or the sun to the back adding depth and shadow.
    They call me "Blue" it's a red head thing.
    "My Flickr Site"
    Canon Bodies - 1DMk2N + 50D - Lenses - 17-35mm F2.8 L - 24-70mm F2.8 L - 70-200mm F2.8 L - 300mm F4 IS L - Sigma 18-50mm F2.8 - Sigma 10-20mm - DJI Mavic Pro Platinum
    " I Never get tired of looking at our diverse country, even if its through the lens of someone else".
    CC is always appreciated.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Roosta View Post
    What is that gravyvard you always see in Sydney film production? looks like it disappears into the ocean, from on-high, my guess is on the way to the Southern Beaches.

Any body know?

That would offer some specie views, early morning light and gravestones, or the sun to the back adding depth and shadow.
    I think you mean the Waverly cemetery, at Bronte.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    But I think that may be fenced off and have restricted hours.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hey Roo, that is Waverly cemetary. i think henry lawson is buried there
    cc and enjoy

Photography is painting with light

K1, Pentax 18-250mm zoom, Pentax 100mm macro, Sigma 50-500mm, Pentax 28-105mm
    Velbon Sherpa tripod Photoshop CS6

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    i think that before you do anything ask yourself 'would i likec that done to my grave site' if answer is no, then don't do it.

Site Rules Breach - Permanent Ban
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you are photographing a model in a cemetery, I guess this could be seen as a commercial activity & you will need councils permission to enter & do the shoot. Even in a so called public recreational park you would need permission.
    The council will probably have guidelines & make an appointment for you so as not to clash with other cemetery activities.
    Col

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    while what is commercial and what isnt a tricky line to understand, you might like to see what Arts Freedom Australia are currently highlighting on their website blog.

http://www.artsfreedomaustralia.com/blog/?page_id=14

FWIW last time I got involved in a discussion on AFA, I was not part of the organisation - I was recently invited to join the AFA board, and accepted.
    Last edited by Longshots; 12-06-2011 at 6:02pm.
    William

www.longshots.com.au

I am the PhotoWatchDog

Site Rules Breach - Permanent Ban
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by reaction View Post
    what is the etiquette in doing such shoots?.
    Call out loudly "Going to take some photographs. Does anyone have a problem"? ................... Then listen for a reply.

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I organised an AP meet last year at Rookwood Cemetery with about 10 members turning up. We didn't use any models but just generally wandered around the grounds taking our photos of headstones, plaques, statues, etc. We were all very aware of being intruders in what is a very private and emotional place and we payed our utmost respect to the deceased members of the public residing there. Whilst we were there a couple of services were scheduled but we steered clear of them to be respectful of the grieving families.

I did seek permission for our group to have the meet there, which was granted on the provision that the images were not to be used for commercial use. The groundsmen were alerted that our attendance was happening on the date applied for and we were left alone - no questions asked.

Basically - just use commonsense and make sure both you and your models have some fun but with respect to the deceased. Make sure you leave the place just the way you found it......take your rubbish home with you.
    CAMERA: Nikon D800, Nikon D7000
    LENSES: AF Nikkor 50mm f/1.8, Tamron SP AF 90mm F/2.8 Macro, Sigma 10 - 20mm F/4 - 5.6, Sigma 150 - 500mm F/5 - 6.3 APO DG OS, Nikkor 18 - 200mm F/3.5 - 5.6 VRII,
    Sigma 70 - 200mm f/2.8 APO EX DG OS, Tamron SP 24 - 70mm f/2.8 Di VC USD, Sigma 85mm F/1.4 EX DG, Nikkor AF-S 16-35mm F/4 ED VR, Nikkor AF-S 200-500 f/5..6E ED VR
    MY WEBSITES: www.nawimages.com, http://nelliewajzerphotography.smugmug.com/, http://NellieWajzerPhotography.blogspot.com

Ausphotography Veteran
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Scotty72 View Post
    I think you mean the Waverly cemetery, at Bronte.
    Thanks Scotty, would lobe to see it when next in Sydney.

Account Closed
    Threadstarter
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by peterb666 View Post

probably is, but it's my 1st grave shoot, and that's what the model wants. I can't really think of what else to do at a graveyard if you're not paying respects

Quote Originally Posted by arthurking83
    Unless you want to shoot in the middle of the night
    I can tell you now I'm not going near a graveyard at night!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Zombie shoot would be more appropiate for a graveyard would it not?
    Cartel Imagery
    Flickr

Nikon D7000
    Sony a65
    Canon 5D MKII

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Roosta View Post
    Thanks Scotty, would lobe to see it when next in Sydney.

Here

A quick fly-by this morning.

Taken from over the fence in the pouring rain.., I didn't hang around to get a good shot

_MG_5598 by CyclingScotty, on Flickr

I am older than I look.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Do note that that cemetary is locked at night. It is also patrolled by a private security firm.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast