User Tag List

Thanks useful information Thanks useful information:  1

Thread: How the prices really are!

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

How the prices really are!

As we reflect back about our photography purchases, and look at the newly released gear, it is often lamented how expensive gear has become.

So here is a little reminder.

Way back in the dark ages of August 2006, a Nikon D70 kit was selling for $1998.70 inc. GST at Vanbar's in Melbourne. The D70 offered : 6.1 Megapixel CCD, 30 - 1/8000 sec, 200-1600 ISO. The 'kit' contained the D70 and the AF-S DX 18-70mm f/3.5-4.5 len. Yep all that for $1998.70 (incl GST).

Today $1998.00 would get you a Nikon D7000+18-105VR,55-300VR KIT. The Nikon D7000 offers 16.2MP CMOS, ISO 100-25,600 and 30 - 1/8000th sec.

I just found it interesting doing the price comparison from August 2006 to today.
    "It is one thing to make a picture of what a person looks like, it is another thing to make a portrait of who they are" - Paul Caponigro

Constructive Critique of my photographs is always appreciated
    Nikon, etc!

RICK
    My Photography

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yep. Compare a DVD player 2000 to now......very different. Seems patience is good for the wallet !
    Last edited by Kerrie; 19-05-2012 at 9:19am.

Pentax K-r
    Da 15mm & 70mm Ltds, Fa 35mm f2, F 50mm f1.7
    Da*200mm, Tamron 90mm Macro, Sigma 28-105 f2.8

Moderately Underexposed
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think it is one compelling reason to never grumble about "everyone being a photographer" cause "they" are the ones buying large numbers of cameras which flows on to us being able to buy goods cheaper.

I like it that way.
    Andrew
    Nikon, Fuji, Nikkor, Sigma, Tamron, Tokina and too many other bits and pieces to list.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Technology has certainly have come down in price.

WhenI bought my forst flat screen TV, a 40" Fujitsu, which was about the best screen I could find at the time, about 10 years ago, it cost me over $12K with hard bargaining.
    A year or so ago, I got a new Samsung 46" 3D Series 8000 with all the bells and whistles for just $1550 delivered and its picture quality is just so much better than the Fujitsu!
    All my photos are taken with recycled pixels.
    Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit.
    Wisdom, is knowing not to serve it in a fruit salad.

Ausphotography Veteran
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Use your example there Rick, just goes to show the value of good glass, the D70, in all regards 'Back in the Day' was the hobby top ender, add good glass, there you go.
    The new D7000 + to average bits of glass, most if not all will eventually ditch the glass and go for a better F stop, maybe third party to keep the cost down, but never the less, better glass.

I just helped a friend buy his new setup, he chose Canon, by feel and comfort for him (600 Body) from/over the rest of the makers, but I convinved him to get 1 good lens rather than the twin lens kit, Body alone (Grey) was $180.00 cheaper then the twin lens kit, says something if you ask me, but his neighbour has the Canon kit lenses, so he tried it and was blown away (amazing I here you say) at the IQ difference.

The kits lenses are just a sweetner to get you in, IMO, but the cost is all relitive to the Body and technology. We see this through all the electronic gizmos..

Our two favs are more than likely wondering how to squeeze a bit more ISO out and slightly more information gathering technology out of the respective black boxes, to be in the fore-front of one another, it just goes on and on.

The bloke/gal that invented the wheel should have put a patent on it, it hasn't changed, but what we do with it has. A bit like the 'Box Brownie' to our nowadays gismo/feature packed bodies, that some will still leave in 'P' just to shoot the kids in the park. It's all relative in the end.

Enough rambling for now.
    They call me "Blue" it's a red head thing.
    "My Flickr Site"
    Canon Bodies - 1DMk2N + 50D - Lenses - 17-35mm F2.8 L - 24-70mm F2.8 L - 70-200mm F2.8 L - 300mm F4 IS L - Sigma 18-50mm F2.8 - Sigma 10-20mm - DJI Mavic Pro Platinum
    " I Never get tired of looking at our diverse country, even if its through the lens of someone else".
    CC is always appreciated.

Ausphotography Veteran
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Kerrie View Post
    Seems patience is good for the wallet !
    !!!GOLD!!!
    Last edited by Roosta; 19-05-2012 at 8:08pm.