Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Full frame landscape options

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Full frame landscape options

Hi Canon users.

Looking at a wide lens for my 5D mkII, would like a fast lens aswell as im enjoying shooting the stars at the minute.

So far i have found.

canon 16-35 2.8
    samyang 14mm 2.8

What other options are out there being used?

any help would be great.

cheers

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The 17-40 is a pretty popular combo with the 5D for landscape work although it isn't a 2.8. I have heard lots of good things about the 16-35 though as well.

Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks Warus, Yeah if i didn't want to play with the stars that would definitely be an option is looks good value for money.

Moderately Underexposed
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by nwhc View Post
    What other options are out there being used?
    Available in Canon mount are the Tokina 16-28 F/2.8 and 17-35 F/4 . Although we are not Canon users, we have found the 16-28 to be a very handy landscape lens (plus other uses) at a reasonable price.
    Andrew
    Nikon, Fuji, Nikkor, Sigma, Tamron, Tokina and too many other bits and pieces to list.

Ausphotography Veteran
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I was on the crux of buying the Tokina 11 - 16 mm F2.8 for my 50D, but ended up with the Sigma instead, as I didn't really need the F2.8 for what I shoot. I have used the 16 - 28 and nothing but great results with it (Golden Hour Landscapes though)

But you could try here.

And this.

They always seem to rate very highly, as on dpreview.com as well
    They call me "Blue" it's a red head thing.
    "My Flickr Site"
    Canon Bodies - 1DMk2N + 50D - Lenses - 17-35mm F2.8 L - 24-70mm F2.8 L - 70-200mm F2.8 L - 300mm F4 IS L - Sigma 18-50mm F2.8 - Sigma 10-20mm - DJI Mavic Pro Platinum
    " I Never get tired of looking at our diverse country, even if its through the lens of someone else".
    CC is always appreciated.

A royal pain in the bum! arthurking83's Avatar
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    An important point that needs to be reiterated again as to the benefits of having an f/2.8 aperture lens.

It's not just about using this wide open aperture value to get shallow DOF and other such obvious endeavours.
    There's also the major benefit of having a brighter viewfinder and/or liveview image to help in setting up the frame too.

smaller aperture lenses don't allow the same image brightness through to the viewer as do larger aperture lenses, and this can be important in some situations
    (ie. as in shooting astro landscapes).

Of course the advantage of shooting at f/2.8 compared to f/4 at infinity is also a bonus .. once again especially for subject matter such as starfields.
    Nikon D800E, D300, D70s
    {Nikon}; -> 50/1.2 : 500/8 : 105/2.8VR Micro : 180/2.8 ais : 105mm f/1.8 ais : 24mm/2 ais
    {Sigma}; ->10-20/4-5.6 : 50/1.4 : 12-24/4.5-5.6II : 150-600mm|S
    {Tamron}; -> 17-50/2.8 : 28-75/2.8 : 70-200/2.8 : 300/2.8 SP MF : 24-70/2.8VC

{Yongnuo}; -> YN35/2N : YN50/1.8N

Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Cheers, They dont seem to have the full frame tokina in stock, but ill look into it.

I already have the 24-105 at F4 so i would really like the step up to 2.8 for my basic astro shots.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The zooms mentioned above are great, I've found the 16-35 2.8L II to be a very nice lens to work with. Some minor issues with flare, but I'm very happy with it.

Ausphotography Veteran
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Cheers, They dont seem to have the full frame tokina in stock, but ill look into it.

I already have the 24-105 at F4 so i would really like the step up to 2.8 for my basic astro shots.
    Can also try here mate.

Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks Roosta not sure if im blind but i cant see the full frame canon option anywhere.

I have just spent 5 minutes over at 500px looking through the samyang 14mm pics its gets more and more tempting each time.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I really rate my 16-35, the hood is a complete pain in the butt to pack but other than that I can't fault it. Be perpared for buying into 82mm circular and 100mm wide square filters though.

Ausphotography Veteran
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks Roosta not sure if im blind but i cant see the full frame canon option anywhere.

I have just spent 5 minutes over at 500px looking through the samyang 14mm pics its gets more and more tempting each time.
    From that link, in the last 4 lenses, there's 3 FX lenses, if you click on "More Info" and you can select Camera Mount, they're all Canon mount available.

Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mikec View Post
    I really rate my 16-35, the hood is a complete pain in the butt to pack but other than that I can't fault it. Be perpared for buying into 82mm circular and 100mm wide square filters though.
    Cheers Mike, it does look like the pick of the bunch I just need to justify the outlay!

Thanks Roosta found it not sure how i missed that

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I would not recommend anything other than cannon lens I previously owned the canon 17-40 f4 which is a fantastic lens I then got the 16-35 f 2.8 II found out that flaring is an issue with this lens even if I place the tripod low near the ground other wise the focussing is quiet fast the focussing ring is smooth for manual focussing the other ultra wide is the 14mm f2.8 l very very sharp but cannot use any filters with it due to the curvature of the front element.
    Dwarak Calayampundi

Canon 5D Mark II, 7 D Lens Canon 24-105mm L Canon 16-35mm II L Canon 100mm Sigma 10-20mm Canon 50mm 1.8
    http://www.wix.com/dwarak/landscapes

Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dwarak View Post
    I would not recommend anything other than cannon lens I previously owned the canon 17-40 f4 which is a fantastic lens I then got the 16-35 f 2.8 II found out that flaring is an issue with this lens even if I place the tripod low near the ground other wise the focussing is quiet fast the focussing ring is smooth for manual focussing the other ultra wide is the 14mm f2.8 l very very sharp but cannot use any filters with it due to the curvature of the front element.
    Cheers Dwarak,

I would love to be able to grab the canon but spending that much for a hobby at the minute is a bit steep, especially now i just bought another gopro
    I will wait until after xmas now and see how much money i can find.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have the Canon 17-40 and am really happy with it, but if you need f2.8 it is not for you.... As a general landscape lens, I am really happy with it, but I don't know what the requirements of astro photography are, so I am not qualified to comment on your particular use. From the posts above, it appears to be useless for shooting the stars, but it is awfully nice for shooting landscapes
    Enthusiastic amateur..... Canon 5D Mark II Canon 7D Canon 17-40 L Canon 24-105L Canon 70-200L F4 IS Tamron SP 90 macro Kenko 1.4x Pro 300 DGX Teleconverter

Ausphotography Regular
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Looking at a wide lens for my 5D mkII, would like a fast lens as well as im enjoying shooting the stars at the minute. So far i have found: canon 16-35 2.8; samyang 14mm 2.8. What other options are out there being used?
    What does “shooting the stars” mean, exactly?
    Because you specifically mention wanting 'a fast lens', I shall assume you are wanting to shoot nightscapes showing celestial detail.

Then, the 24mm F/1.4 L MkII is the ultimate solution; more budget conscious, the EF28F/1.8, is a good alternative choice.

Using either of the F/2.8 lenses you mentioned for this type of work, will be pushing the ISO very high and / or necessitate the use of an Equatorial Mount: but that can only be used if no foreground is to be included in the shot.

For this type of nightscape work a fast and wide Prime Lens is essential.

WW

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I second William on the primes 24mm is quiet wide for full frame camera I am myself leaning towards the primes the 24mm L f 1.4 ii is probably one of the best lens canon has made I am planning on selling the 16-35 and getting the prime lens myself.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Can someone help me

I'm looking for a canon 16-35 mm lens for my girlfriend where is the best place and obviously good price?? can someone assist me I need it ASAP I leave for the northern lights 10th jan...

This is my first post on here so forgive me if I'm a noob.
    Last edited by ricktas; 26-12-2012 at 2:59pm.

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Danger09 View Post
    I'm looking for a canon 16-35 mm lens for my girlfriend where is the best place and obviously good price?? can someone assist me I need it ASAP I leave for the northern lights 10th jan...

This is my first post on here so forgive me if I'm a noob.
    Good price, do you mean CHEAP. Remember that many online stores that are cheap do not stock the items, and only order them in when you place your order, thus your chances of getting it before you leave on the 10th reduce. I would just go to Sydney and buy it off the shelf from one of the stores if needed by a set date. Yes you can order online, but do you want to risk going without the lens cause it hasn't arrived, or pay a bit more and get it. Note that I also edited your post and removed your reference to a particular store (read the site rules, in particular 3-7).

Also you do not tell us which camera you have, this is a FULL FRAME lens discussion thread, and therefore the info in here may not be relevant to you. If you have a crop sensor camera, look at the Sigma 10-20 as 16mm is not really that wide on a crop sensor.

I also hope we get to see some of your photography and advice to other members soon as well. AP is about GIVING back to other members, as well as getting the advice you need.
    Last edited by ricktas; 26-12-2012 at 3:04pm.
    "It is one thing to make a picture of what a person looks like, it is another thing to make a portrait of who they are" - Paul Caponigro

Constructive Critique of my photographs is always appreciated
    Nikon, etc!

RICK
    My Photography

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast