Thanks useful information Thanks useful information:  4
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Lessons from the 7D

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Lessons from the 7D

After upgrading from a 450D my new 7D has taught me a few lessons over the last few days of shooting.
    1. Focus, recompose is no longer required. Funny thats a really hard shooting habit to break. On the 450D I only used centre point focus because it was the only reliable one. Even though I've only scratched the surface of the 7D focussing system I'm amazed at how accurate it is and how easy it is to tell the camera what I want in focus.
    2. The image quality is superior. Despite the fact of using L glass on both systems the files that come out of the 7D seem sharper, then when you pixel peep, OMG.
    3. I think I like MF adjust. I sent my Sigma glass and 450D in to CR Kennedy to have the glass callibrated to camera. They were gone for 4 days! (I only have iphone photos). I did this same adjustment at home in 15mins for all my lenses.
    4. My second hand $30 ebay tripod finally makes sense. The head was always a bit stiff moving around even when fully loosened now I know it's because its a video tripod. Panning my videos is so easy.

I'm sure there's more lessons to come.

My wife might be right, I don't have affairs or gamble or drink, I buy camera gear.
    See my work on

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I love my 7D too. I've had it for over 2 years now and am still learning how to drive some of the features. I've found you just have to pick a couple of features at a time sit down, work out how to use them and them practice. The odd camping weekend is usually when I get time to spend doing it.

I've found the AF always favours closer objects. So if I'm shooting with a shallow DOF, I have to watch that.

I'm looking forward the the V2 firmware that's been anounced - but I've read that we won't see it until mid August.
    Cheers,

Greg
    "Photography can be an extreme sport!"

Canon: 7D + BG-E7, 60D, 580EX, 24-105 L IS F4, 100-400mm L IS F4.5-5.6, EF 1.4x III
    Sigma: 10-20mm F4-5.6 EX, 18-200mm f3.5-6.3 DC OS.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Had mine for a couple of years and also updated from a 450d, when I look back I think it is a great body and has produced some great shots for me. I have only scratched the surface of the 7d.
    I lost my photo mojo for a while and are just starting to find some inspiration
    Canon 7d efs 15-85mm, Sigma 150-500mm. Nicon coolpix 5400

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Can I attend this love-in?

I've had the 7D for about a year (up from a 350D) and absolutely love it. Yes, pleanty of things to fiddle with, but when you settle into a groove.....wow!

I recently managed to spend three weeks away on a trip and taking photo's (almost) every day. By two weeks in I was very comfortable with it and getting great (for me) results.

Cheers,
    Jason.
    7D, 350D and some glass

Ausphotography Regular
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by GJC View Post
    I love my 7D too. I've had it for over 2 years now and am still learning how to drive some of the features. I've found you just have to pick a couple of features at a time sit down, work out how to use them and them practice. The odd camping weekend is usually when I get time to spend doing it.

I've found the AF always favours closer objects. So if I'm shooting with a shallow DOF, I have to watch that.

I'm looking forward the the V2 firmware that's been anounced - but I've read that we won't see it until mid August.
    7th August it is. Not too long to wait.
    http://www.canon.com.au/about-canon/...id=scfb1206047
    The age of entitlement isn't over, it's just over there where you can't get to it.
    When several possibilities exist, the simplest solution is the best.
    "There are no rules" Bruce Barnbaum, The art of Photography
    Graham

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    what are you shooting with now Gra

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I also love my 7D and have had it for just over 2 years now and am also still getting to grips with all of the features and functions. i upgraded from a 450D. Only thing is i've noticed that it seems very noisy at high ISO's much more than I expected. I thought it was suppsed to great at higher ISO'S but I haven't been that thrilled with the results. Anyon else have that issue?
    What is the firmware upgrade going to do/fix?
    Canon 5diii; Canon 7D; Canon 3.5 15-85mm IS USM; Canon 4-5.6 70-300mm IS USM; Canon 1.4 50mm , Canon Macro 100mm 2.8 L IS USM, Canon 35mm 1.4 L USM, Canon 24-105mm L IS USM, CPL and UV filters, manfrotto tripod and Lowepro backpack plus dreams for so much more!!

Ausphotography Regular
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Duane Pipe View Post
    what are you shooting with now Gra
    Me?
    7D of course.
    15-85 same as you, 100mm f 2.8 macro non L, and the 70-300 f4-5.6 Is USM L

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by agb View Post
    Me?
    7D of course.
    15-85 same as you, 100mm f 2.8 macro non L, and the 70-300 f4-5.6 Is USM L
    Sorry I missed the firmware bit

Ausphotography Regular
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'll join the 7D love in too

I do love mine, but at the moment we have had to part. My wife has taken it overseas with a 18-200 as her travel camera so I only have my 50D here at the moment . Never mind I just did the unthinkable and ordered a 5D3, so my 7D will have to be relegated to secondary duties, but I'll still love it like a child
    Mic

Photography is the art of telling stories with light.

www.michaelgoulding.com

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Good one mic Look forward to the first shots
    Last edited by Duane Pipe; 29-06-2012 at 8:15pm.

Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    7D Love in, I like it.
    Mic, Why didn't you just go all out for a 1DX?
    The firmware update I only read about on canon rumours, I didn't know it was announced.

Ausphotography Regular
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hey Daniel, nah 1DX is over rated, I mean 15MP? No I have the 7D for speed and reach and add the 5D for pure image quality, indoor work etc.

The 7D firmware update was confirmed today (or yesterday) it will be available on 7th August from memory. Looking forward to it, the Auto ISO limiter will be a welcome addition.

Account Closed
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Lantern View Post
    ...my new 7D has taught me a few lessons....
    [LIST=1][*]Focus, recompose is no longer required. ....
    Why not? (PS glad you love your 7D like I do mine!)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    7D..... *sigh* one day

Ausphotography Veteran
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I love my 7D too. I upgraded in Feb. 2010 from my 400D and have taken over 45000 shots with it and I am still learning.
    Keith.
    Keith

Canon 400D Gripped, Canon 7D LCD Timer Gripped, Canon 70-200 f2.8L is ii. Canon 2X iii Extender, Canon 50mm 1.8, Sigma 150-500, Sigma 18-250, Sigma 17-50 F2.8, Sigma 10-20, Tamron 90mm Macro, Yonguno YN460 & 460ii Speedlights and a Hanimax TZ 1 Flash, Wireless Triggers ,LED Macro Ringlight, Extension Tubes, 3 tripods, 2 monopods, PS Elements 5 & 10, PSP9 and canon s/ware, various filters and other photographic paraphernalia all packed in a computrecker backpack. NEW:- Panasonic GX8, 45-150, 14mm F2.5. PSE 2018.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by GJC View Post

Last edited by MarkChap; 03-07-2012 at 10:54pm.
    Smoke Alarms Save Lives, Install One Today
    I shoot Canon
    Cheers, Mark

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I also love my 7d. Bought it before going around Australia last year. Used it mostly for my birds. Love it! Used my 450d for most of the landscapes,as I have a lot to learn with landscape photography.

What is the new firmware going to do for me? Is it software for the computer or camera. Bit dumb about it.

Thanks
    Cheers Jan

My Gear - Canon 450D, 7D, 60D. Lens - EF-100mm f/2.8L Macro, EF 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L IS USM, EF 400 5.6L, EF 24-105mm 1:4 L IS USM, EF-S 10-22mm 1:3.5-4.5 USM, kit lens, twin flash, 580 Flash, monopod and tripod. Lots to learn.

Ausphotography Regular
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Brandy View Post
    I also love my 7d. Bought it before going around Australia last year. Used it mostly for my birds. Love it! Used my 450d for most of the landscapes,as I have a lot to learn with landscape photography.

What is the new firmware going to do for me? Is it software for the computer or camera. Bit dumb about it.

Thanks
    This. http://www.canon.com.au/about-canon/...id=scfb1206047

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Here's DP Review's take on the v2 firmware:
    http://www.dpreview.com/news/2012/06...2-major-update

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast