User Tag List

Thanks useful information Thanks useful information:  0

Thread: screw on filter or filter and holder?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

screw on filter or filter and holder?

Hi all
    I am shopping for a nd filter. Never used one before but am keen to try. I have 2 lenses, both 77mm, a tamron wide angle zoom and a sigma 24-70. The tamron takes a screw in "slim" uv filter.
    Would you recommend one type over the other? I can see storage and care of the flat type could be an issue but other than that I know diddly squat.
    I will be in Sydney in a couple of weeks. Where could I shop and try? We will be staying in Dee Why and using public transport but will have all Saturday to look!

cheers
    Jan

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ricstew View Post
    Hi all
    I am shopping for a nd filter. Never used one before but am keen to try. I have 2 lenses, both 77mm, a tamron wide angle zoom and a sigma 24-70. The tamron takes a screw in "slim" uv filter.
    Would you recommend one type over the other? I can see storage and care of the flat type could be an issue but other than that I know diddly squat.
    I will be in Sydney in a couple of weeks. Where could I shop and try? We will be staying in Dee Why and using public transport but will have all Saturday to look!

cheers
    Jan
    i am currently waiting for my cokin set up too arrive.

id ask rick, he has a z series cokin and knows all about them. ( he let me play with his for a few shots and since then i was hooked )

good luck

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi there,

I have recently wondered the same thing and I am currently leaning towards the filter+holder combo.

Mostly for the reason that I would like to get some graduated ND filters and I think that in a holder the become more adjustable (can move where the graduation is)... I could be wrong here though.

Good luck, I will watch this post with interest.

Paul
    Australian Nature Photography

Nikon D7000
    Nikkor 12-24, Nikkor 28-70/2.8, Nikkor 50/1.8, Tamron 60/2, Sigma 100-300/4, Sigma 180/3.5 macro, Nikkor 500/4, 1.4x TC, 1.7x TC

(Comments And Critique On My Images Most Welcome)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ricstew View Post
    Hi all

cheers
    Jan
    Google the three words: sydney camera stores
    It will give you a host of stores in the Sydney CBD
    The first four are worth visiting as they are near each other.
    "The greatest camera in the world is the one you hold in your hands when shit happens." ©2007 Raoul Isidro

Ausphotography Site Sponsor/Advertiser OzzieTraveller's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    G'day fellas

for 77mm dia each, glass will be more expensive than a cokin (or similar) flat filter
    I would suggest therefore to go for the flat filters ... and go for an ND8 and a couple of grads as well

Regards, Phil
    Of all the stuff in a busy photographers kitbag, the ability to see photographically is the most important
    google me at Travelling School of Photography
    images.: flickr.com/photos/ozzie_traveller/sets/

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    How wide angle are you talking - The smaller P series Cokin Filter holder might show its edges on your UWA lens.. make sure you take your camera and lens with you when you go to try them out at the store and THEN BUY THEM ON THE INTERNET.. Much cheaper.

I go for the screw on NDs because there is less fiddling around with them and its easier to keep your grubby finger marks off the filter. I can mount a filter holder on the front of the ND filter if I want to add a GND (flat) to the mix. In short, you may end up with both, screw on NDs and flat GNDs. If I was to get just one right and now and I wanted an ND I would go for the screw on and get a good quality 3 stop ND like B+W from the internet.
    Last edited by David; 02-09-2010 at 10:04pm.
    Comments and CC welcome..

Gear: Canon 6D & 1Ds Cameras l Canon EF 17-40mm F 4.0 L USM l Canon EF 24-105mm F4.0 L IS USM l Canon EF 70 - 200 F4.0 L USM Lenses I Manfrotto Tripods I Adobe Photoshop CS6 l Lightroom 3.0 I Lee Filters

"The real voyage of discovery consists not in seeking new landscapes but in having new eyes." Marcel Proust 1871 - 1922

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Go filter + holder, it's more versatile and it'll do well when you get into nd grads.

Cokin P series is a good place to start.

Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks guys
    The tamron is the 10 -24 so vingetting is an issue. I think the flat filter in nd8 and a couple of grads may be the way to go. There is a 'slim' style for wa.........anyone have any experience with that one?
    I will have to try before I buy I guess.....
    cheers
    Jan

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The Cokin GND's have a known issue with magenta casts. The lee filters, although more expensive are of much higher quality. the Zpro's should fit without vignetting, I have the siggy 10-20 and a P series cokin and vignetting is a problem below 14mm. above that is just fine.
    I do love my coking polariser, and the infared is kinda cool too.
    Greg Bartle,
    I have a Pentax and I'm not afraid to use it.
    Pentax K5
    Sigma 10-20 | Tamron 17-50 F:2.8 | Sigma 50 F:1.4 | Sigma 70-200 F:2.8 Plus a bunch of Ye Olde lenses

Would you like to see more?
    http://flickr.com/photosbygreg

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi Jan

Even in Sydney you will struggle to find too many stores with a selection to look at - esp anything more than Cokin P or 67mm.

I went through the same thing 6 mths ago. I ended up getting the Cokin P WA (given the price and availability I figured I could go up from 10 to 12ish mm to avoid encrouching on the shot and that seems to work. I did order Hitech filters from the UK though rather than Cokin ones given various warnings. Either way I think if you stack them it opens up more room for the cast issue. As it turns out I have used them only once so it was a bit of a waste but maybe it the future Ill get more chance.

FotoReisel in the city did have a Cokin Z ND Grad kit when I was looking - they may still have it.

Good luck with the search.

Cheers
    Josh
    Check out my new site - www.wattsgallery.com - feedback welcome

Gear - Canon 5D, 40D, 10-22, 24-70 2.8L, 200 2.8L, 50 1.8, 430EXII

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Jan - ps if you want to just borrow my Cokin P WA and filters to test it out while your down here just let me know, it would be good to know they were being used. That way you can go and do a proper shoot if you want. We live pretty close to Dee Why so should be easy to arrange.

Cheers
    Josh

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Rattus79 View Post
    The Cokin GND's have a known issue with magenta casts. The lee filters, although more expensive are of much higher quality. the Zpro's should fit without vignetting, I have the siggy 10-20 and a P series cokin and vignetting is a problem below 14mm. above that is just fine.
    I do love my coking polariser, and the infared is kinda cool too.
    Fair enough, but cokin P are a good way to get started with filters, and zpro/lees are a fair bit more expensive. Singh ray make filters for the P sized holder and are a future upgrade path if magenta casts are an issue. In addition, the P sprocket polarizers are cheaper, and possibly more convenient than other options.