Thanks useful information Thanks useful information:  28
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Sydney antics

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Sydney antics

Currently in Sydney with a group of students. Sydney weather is perfect.

I was dared at bondi beach to approach someone saying I was from the Sydney herald and take their photo. I promptly went up to a group of young men near surf rescue with students cracking up and teachers videoing me (now on Facebook). The guys believed me and I got a great group shot - but I didn't think too much about my settings - they were all smiling beautifully for me.

Talk about out of my comfort zone.
    Shelley
    (constructive criticism welcome)

www.shelleypearsonphotography.com

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well done, but I am not sure about the ethics of misrepresenting yourself. If they had simply assumed you were media = ok... but...
    Canon 7D : Canon EF 70-200mm f:2.8 L IS II USM - Canon EF 24-105 f:4 L IS USM - Canon EF 50mm f:1.8 - Canon EF-s 18-55mm f:3.5-5.6
    Sigma APO 150-500mm f:5-6.3 DG OS HSM
    - Sigma 10-20mm f:3.5 EX DC HSM
    Speedlite 580 EX II - Nissin Di866 II - Yongnuo 460-II x2 - Kenko extension tube set - Canon Extender EF 1.4x II
    Manfroto monopod - SILK 700DX Pro tripod - Remote release - Cokin Z-Pro filter box + Various filters

Current Social Experiment: CAPRIL - Wearing a cape for the month of April to support Beyond Blue
    Visit me on Flickr

Threadstarter

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Fair comment - itnwas a dare and I think the guys caught on. They were young and having fun and no harm was meant.

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Scotty72 View Post
    Well done, but I am not sure about the ethics of misrepresenting yourself. If they had simply assumed you were media = ok... but...
    Says he who has wangled his way into the media pit at events. : http://www.ausphotography.net.au/for...-support-forum
    Last edited by ricktas; 11-07-2011 at 9:35pm.
    "It is one thing to make a picture of what a person looks like, it is another thing to make a portrait of who they are" - Paul Caponigro

Constructive Critique of my photographs is always appreciated
    Nikon, etc!

RICK
    My Photography

Threadstarter

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I feel better now.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rick,

The difference is: I just turned up; I did not claim to be anyone; they just assumed

Perhaps a small difference but, an important one.

Scotty

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Rick,

The difference is: I just turned up; I did not claim to be anyone; they just assumed

Perhaps a small difference but, an important one.

Scotty
    To you maybe, but in the end its just semantics! I see ZERO difference. From your comment to Shelley above, my opinion would be that you are acting as the eithics police, albeit with a tainted history yourself. What is it they say about glass houses?

I think Shelley could/should be commended on getting outside her comfort zone and doing something a bit daring.
    Last edited by ricktas; 11-07-2011 at 9:51pm.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    its always important to get out of your comfort zone when it comes to photography - the pity is that in this day and age its considered risky to get a group of strangers together and take their picture on a beach.
    William

www.longshots.com.au

I am the PhotoWatchDog

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ricktas View Post
    To you maybe, but in the end its just semantics! I see ZERO difference. From your comment to Shelley above, my opinion would be that you are acting as the eithics police, albeit with a tainted history yourself. What is it they say about glass houses?

I think Shelley could/should be commended on getting outside her comfort zone and doing something a bit daring.
    Your last statement I totally agree with.

But, I do believe that not correcting the mis-assumptions of others is at one side of the ethical line whilst actively seeking to mis-represent yourself is on the other. I think you will find a possible legal difference as well.

Mostly, because telling people you belong to a newspaper (when you don't) is transgressing against the reputation of that newspaper.

In the same situation, you could tell them you were shooting free-lance and hoping the Herald would pick-up your photo essay (don't we all hope that one day our photos will get noticed).

My point was, you shouldn't claim you represent an organisation you don't - in much the same way that we should go around claiming to represent AP. That is all. Would YOU consider it ZERO difference if I did that? (not if you are smart )

Scotty

Way Down Yonder in the Paw Paw Patch jim's Avatar
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Tend to agree with Scotty. But more important, where are the pictures?

Threadstarter

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We had been to Canberra, snowfields and then Sydney. We had24 students and approx. 10 of them caught a vomiting and diaroher bug through a seven day period (12/14 yrs old), poor kids it was terrible.. we teachers were stuffed. We messed about a bit and the students were really enjoying it, do it again to cheer them up.
    Last edited by Shelley; 11-07-2011 at 10:16pm. Reason: Forgive my spelling errors

Threadstarter

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jim View Post
    Tend to agree with Scotty. But more important, where are the pictures?
    When I get back to Perth I will show and tell - really was fun and our girls liked the guys. I have some great photos from the snowfields - Some I cannot show as they are students.

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

My point was, you shouldn't claim you represent an organisation you don't - in much the same way that we should go around claiming to represent AP. That is all. Would YOU consider it ZERO difference if I did that? (not if you are smart )

Scotty
    People do that every day, when they wear AP hats, AP Polo's, AP t-shirts. When no harm is done, I don't care, and I do not believe Shelley harmed anyone.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I often impersonate a photographer, and a nice guy, but hardly ever at the same time

I don't think you should say you're media (or a typist for that matter) when you aren't, either explicity or implicitly
    Last edited by kiwi; 11-07-2011 at 10:26pm.
    Darren
    Gear : Nikon Goodness
    Please support Precious Hearts
    Constructive Critique of my images always appreciated

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by kiwi View Post

I don't think you should say you're media (or a typist for that matter) when you aren't, either explicity or implicitly
    Can you please tell Julia Gillard that?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I remember a collaborative shoot with another potographer and a moving pictures guy, three models, mua and gear everywhere, it all looked like a big fashion location shoot and we were approached by two young ladies with consumer grade dslr's asking what we were doing. He told them we were shooting for Vogue. Imagine our suprise, when they were sitting in the row in front of us at a lighting workshop the next week. We all had a giggle, but it goes to show you never know when something you say can come back to bite you.....still sometimes you have to expand the edges of the envelope a bit !
    Andrew
    D700, D5000, Various Nikon and Sigma Lenses and lots of other expensive thingys with buttons and knobs (some even go Bing !!)
    www.andrewplacephotography.com.au

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ricktas View Post
    Can you please tell Julia Gillard that?
    I don't get this, did she once impersonate a journalist?

I know Mark Latham does from time to time

Site Rules Breach - Permanent Ban
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I personally think the term "Media" and "Press" is used way to much by people / photographers attempting to get into events, games etc.... listened to a interesting conversation between some brisbane and gold coast actual media / newspapers togs at educational press call we had at Tweed Heads early this year re public education changes under the current federal government. They all made comments on weekend warriors / part timers / and amateurs getting media passes to events / incidents / concerts etc under dubious applications, and they just jam up photo points and get in the way of actual working press togs. Apparently this is an all to common problem .....

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Still, there is no official definition of press / media: you start a blog, you are media. It must remain that way if we are to keep the press free.

Site Rules Breach - Permanent Ban
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Still, there is no official definition of press / media: you start a blog, you are media. It must remain that way if we are to keep the press free.
    Really - its that easy is it........ hmmmmm now to start my own Media empire but just opening a blog ..... Curious to see what some one from an actual full time working Media Agency thinks about that..

Here is a challenge then - go to Cricket Australia, Tennis Australia, the NRL, Australian Parliment, any major rock concert, any major police incident, education press call, V8 super cars, olympic games ( both summer and winter ), world cup rugby, world cup soccer, with the guise that you have a blog and that you are media and can i please have a media / press pass to get in and see what that say.

Perhaps some of the sports togs on here might be able to help out with what is required for gaining passes for major sports . But i am sure it is more then just having a blog.

As for your claim " It must remain that way if we are to keep the press free " i think you may be mixing up free speech with free press. How many truly "FREE PRESS " agencies are there in this country ??
    Last edited by Chris Michel; 12-07-2011 at 4:04pm.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast