User Tag List

Thanks useful information Thanks useful information:  10
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: What is in your "standard" kit?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I see you mention there are birds!!! All I need is my 1D4 and 600/4 attached to tripod

Maybe my teleconverters as well
    Last edited by mrDooba; 12-07-2011 at 9:48pm.
    Chris

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Bec,
    The above advise is very good advise and I cannot add to it because I am not a Canon user and the above advise is mainly related to the gear to use.

I am taking the moment to add a little technique advise which will hopefully help you get improved results from the gear you have and may purchase in the future. I am focusing on your desire to get SHARPER shots.
    At a general level I believe one way to get sharper shots is to use the "Fastest Shutter Speed" you can and to " hold the camera/lens as still as you can".

I would suggest the best photographers on this forum have all mastered holding their cameras/lens dead still to assist in achieving their sharp results.

As an exercise can I suggest you set your ISO to 400 (as a beginning) and practice taking some shots with a shutter speed of 1/500 sec or higher and concentrate on holding your camera as still as possible. Rest the camera on anything you can (Monopod, tripod, branch, post, bean bag, car door or knee supported arm, anything) that will help you hold that camera still. Hopefully you will see an improvement in the sharpness of your shots.
    The use of ISO 400 will also give you greater reach with your flash for flash fill photos.

I hope the above helps and enjoy practicing as much as possible.
    Cheers
    Darey

Nikon user, Thick skinned and wanting to improve, genuine C & C welcomed.

Photographs don't lie ! - Anonymous Liar

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I believe that the equipment you use isn't going to make that much of a difference, photographers with less experience always think that more equipment they have will make them a better photographer....my cameras and lenses have never left at dawn to shoot a sunrise while I stay in bed.....it's you the photography that will make the images. An experienced or should I say a talented photographer can make great images from any camera/lens. Use what you have and enjoy the day photographing as best you can and when you have mastered what you already own then think of upgrading, Not the other way round!

Over the years I have seen many a time when people go buy the biggest and best camera on the market because they can, only to find they can't use it because "it's too complicated" or "too heavy" or because someone said "this is the lens you need"....it's all rubbish use what you are comfortable with and learn to use it well and your images will be treasured, while the person with all the fancy gear who doesn't know how to use it will just have a pile of wasted cash.

Also it must be remembered that everytime you upgrade a camera you have to learn how to use it and that in itself takes time, most people don't have the time to learn what they already own let alone something new.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    FWIW and in relation to the Abbey ( which I attended for pleasure - which it was )- I carried what I normally carry on all my jobs.

Which is this is what I describe as my basic kit:
    5Dmk2 & 1DS (although for Abbey I borrowed a 7D to try it out - and I like it)
    16-35 2.8 L
    24-70 2.8 L
    70-200 2.8 L
    Manfrotto Monopod
    Sekonic Light Meter
    64Gb of Cards

BTW I find that lens range covers most of what I shoot

optional - ie not always - but carried it all for Abbey
    100 2.8
    300 4 L
    1.4 TC
    580 ex 2 & External Battery Pack

Spare stuff (extra flash/batteries/tripod etc) were kept in the car. In hindsight I didnt use any of the optional stuff, and should have left it in the car As I was shooting for pleasure and not work.
    Last edited by Longshots; 13-07-2011 at 9:13am.
    William

www.longshots.com.au

I am the PhotoWatchDog

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Bec, you said you weren't happy with your photos from the day due to lack of sharpness. There are a number of reasons why the images may not have been sharp - motion blur, camera shake, misfocus, poor exposure, high ISO noise, etc. And yes, it may be the quality of your lenses causing the problem, but if it is one of the other reasons, buying a new lens isn't going to solve the problem.

As has already been suggested, post some of your photos from the day and get some critique. There are some very knowledgeable and helpful people here on AP who can give you really good technical advice on improving your shots, plus help you figure out what type of lens to buy if your gear is letting you down.
    Canon DSLRs & lenses | Fuji X series & lenses | Ricoh GR

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BecdS View Post
    I just don't know. I took a tonne of pictures at the Medieval Tournament (I keep banging on about that because it's the first "event" I've been to in a really long time, and the first opportunity that I've taken to photograph something that wasn't just "snapshotting" my cats), but I was -so- disappointed when I got home. I took some with both lenses and they just don't seem to have the sharpness of images I see around. No doubt it has more to do with my lack of skill, but I thought there may be a lens (or some other equipment) that more seasoned photographers believe is a "must have" in even the most basic kit. I caught a thread here the other day about the "nifty fifty" and there were a lot of comments about how it's an invaluable piece.

I haven't seriously practiced in a pretty long time. I live in a very rural area, so I've driven around in the past and snapped on things that seemed interesting. I try to take pictures of my cats, dogs and horses, but I find animals quite hard. Anyone else find that? I went through a stage of taking a tonne of macro type shots of flowers. I would love to take pictures of people, but not really portraiture.. more like casual, natural type ones. I took a few of my nieces and nephew in the park, but I felt like everything was wrong, ie lighting etc, and I didn't really feel confident in what I was doing. I'm also stupidly shy, so I try to capture people from a distance. This may have led to some of the disappointment at my pictures from the Tournament, because I was mostly too shy to ask people.

I guess I'm just extremely unconfident (is that a word?).
    Bec,

I don't want to alarm you! But given what you are saying here about wanting to photography people and because you are shy you often photograph from a distance, you will still need to get their permission to take their photograph. If you take someones photo without their permission and they see that image in a publicplace they can sue you for a breach of copyright (of their image) and an invasion of privacy. Don't think it won't happen, you only need one mean spirited person and you could end up with a whole heap of grief!

If you want to take photos of people it is far better to have them sign a "release form" (which can be a simple form they sign giving you permission to photograph them) and cover your back in case of trouble down the road.

It's the same with entering private property to take photographs, it's always best to get permission in writing...just in case.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That's not quite true, you don't need anyone's release if you are taking photos on public land and you're nit going to use that image commercially. You also don't need permission on private land either if using the image for domestic or private reasons. Displaying people's images even in an art gallery or editorially or in say an awards evening is ok either.

So, in general for most situations for most of us and for most the time you will not need a model release in my opinion

That's not saying that you shouldn't get one if the opportunity is there or you think you might ever use that image commercially
    Darren
    Gear : Nikon Goodness
    Please support Precious Hearts
    Constructive Critique of my images always appreciated

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yep, you don't hold copyright of your image in Australia (obviously different laws to the USA). And, there's no expectation or 'right' to privacy in public.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by kiwi View Post
    That's not quite true, you don't need anyone's release if you are taking photos on public land and you're nit going to use that image commercially. You also don't need permission on private land either if using the image for domestic or private reasons. Displaying people's images even in an art gallery or editorially or in say an awards evening is ok either.

So, in general for most situations for most of us and for most the time you will not need a model release in my opinion

That's not saying that you shouldn't get one if the opportunity is there or you think you might ever use that image commercially
    Here in Queensland, you are treading on very thin ground if you don't get permission, especially if you take photos of children (if your a male) and take photos of someone elses children you are likely to be arrested!

Sure what you do on private property and with your friends is between you and the other party....but when it comes to anything in the public domain all I was saying it is worth checking the laws that apply and seeking permission before you shot. Many tourist places don't allow you to take photos without a permit or permission. All I'm saying is be carefull and aware of what the rules are, copyright, IP laws are complicated and are changing all the time and it's better to be forwarned than to go through the trouble of defending yourself later.

Also with regards to Public places, Airports, shipping ports, military bases, government buildings , images of pulic transport such as trains etc will all get the attention of authorities and have a whole set of different laws even though they are public places!

Bottom Line, do your homework and find out what applies where you plan to shot regardless of whether it's for profit or private use.

Just as an example of how complicated these laws are, last year there was a law suit by someone who was photographed drunk and vomitting in a toilet by a friend on his Ipone, that friend then posted the photo on facebook. The person in the photograph sued and won because his image is his and permission is required to be reproduced.

Another more high profile case....The ADA recruit that was filmed having consenual sex but the footage was skyped to others live without her permission. Result, breach of copyright!!

Under very few circumstances do you have the copyright of someone elses image without permission regardless of whether it is for private use or commercial use.
    Last edited by JamesDoylePhoto; 14-07-2011 at 8:26pm. Reason: additional infomation

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by JamesDoylePhoto View Post
    Here in Queensland, you are treading on very thin ground if you don't get permission, especially if you take photos of children (if your a male) and take photos of someone elses children you are likely to be arrested!

Sure what you do on private property and with your friends is between you and the other party....but when it comes to anything in the public domain all I was saying it is worth checking the laws that apply and seeking permission before you shot. Many tourist places don't allow you to take photos without a permit or permission. All I'm saying is be carefull and aware of what the rules are, copyright, IP laws are complicated and are changing all the time and it's better to be forwarned than to go through the trouble of defending yourself later.
    Children are afforded no additional protection than adults, there is some protection afforded re privacy if the child is under protective custody etc

So, I'd love you to justify your statements here with some actual facts and links to legislation rather than pandering to hysteria.

There are very few tourism spots that have any restrictions at all, once again please list your source

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm not going to get into an argument about this, I was just saying ask first and be forewarned!
    My final say on this matter is this; Adopt a professional attitude; Ask permission if you can, Prepare a simple and rational answer to the question Why did you take that photograph!?; Be clear and confident when confronted but not cocky or argumentative; Always remember you have rights, but don't forget your subjects have them too, Finally, it is always easier to put your camera away than engage in street-lawyer shouting matches.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm not going to get into an argument about this, I was just saying ask first and be forewarned!
    My final say on this matter is this; Adopt a professional attitude; Ask permission if you can, Prepare a simple and rational answer to the question Why did you take that photograph!?; Be clear and confident when confronted but not cocky or argumentative; Always remember you have rights, but don't forget your subjects have them too, Finally, it is always easier to put your camera away than engage in street-lawyer shouting matches.
    And you will not have an argument if you state facts James.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    OK Your right and I'm wrong if that makes you feel a better Man....each to our own then!!!!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don't need to be right to feel better, but you are giving completely made up advice to other photographers here presenting them as facts, and that's the point. Please just do some research first.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Also with regards to Public places, Airports, shipping ports, military bases, government buildings , images of pulic transport such as trains etc will all get the attention of authorities and have a whole set of different laws even though they are public places!
    They aren't public places though.

Bottom Line, do your homework and find out what applies where you plan to shot regardless of whether it's for profit or private use.
    Always good advice.

Just as an example of how complicated these laws are, last year there was a law suit by someone who was photographed drunk and vomitting in a toilet by a friend on his Ipone, that friend then posted the photo on facebook. The person in the photograph sued and won because his image is his and permission is required to be reproduced.
    Do you have a source for that? As I don't believe that would be the case.

Another more high profile case....The ADA recruit that was filmed having consenual sex but the footage was skyped to others live without her permission. Result, breach of copyright!!
    Invasion of privacy, and breach of duty I've heard in relation to that case, but never breach of copyright. When having sex in a bedroom, you have a reasonable expectation of privacy, but you don't own copyright of your image. If you commissioned someone in Australia to come in and photograph you, then you may own copyright. But that's different of course.

Anyway, we should probably get back to talking about lenses.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    In an attempt to end this conversation....Let’s stop playing semantics with the definition of words like copyright, invasion of privacy, rights, laws, private property etc....these are all words that are many things to different people and the legal professionals ague the meaning and definition in courts. I’m not a lawyer and I don’t work in the legal profession and certainly don’t claim to have a definitive answer to these questions.

My original “post” in hindsight was probably badly written on my part with the use of such words as copyright, invasion of privacy etc but I do believe that the main point I was trying to get across to most people was that there are many things to consider when taking images of people without their knowledge or when photographing on other people’s property and one persons interpretation of what the legalities are can often become a source of anguish either to the person being photographed or to the photographer.

One thing I think if we are all honest is that this area, which for some photographers can be a complicated and confronting part of our photography and none of us really have all the answers.

Hence why I wrote (badly as it may have been) just to be aware that there is in more likelihood some “issues” to be considered and it is always best to ask questions first and if possible get the permission or their agreement before we photograph.

I believe this is just good principles that all photographers should operate under and is a mark of professionalism for our craft.

Happy photographing!!!!!

Moderately Underexposed
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    In an attempt to end this conversation....
    Yes, we are going to end this conversation right here James, thanks for asking us to do so.

It was a conversation that you started and it was totally off topic, rather irrelevant and very misleading.

Remember, we DO NOT condone offering legal advice on Ausphotography.
    Andrew
    Nikon, Fuji, Nikkor, Sigma, Tamron, Tokina and too many other bits and pieces to list.

Ausphotography Site Sponsor/Advertiser DAdeGroot's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thought I'd chime in (late) with what I used at the Abbey.

During the day:

5DII with 400/5.6L
    1DIV with 70-200/2.8L IS

After dark I swapped out the 400 for a 35/1.4L and the 70-200 for an 85/1.2L

Fair bit of weight to lug around (had flashes on me as well), but the focal lengths worked well at that event.

However, coming from your 350D, that's a huge investment in kit for an event you're unlikely to make much (if any) money on. Given that these things are usually windy and dusty, changing lenses in the field should be avoided if possible, so a decent telephoto zoom would get you by (70-200/2.8 or even the f/4). Shallow depth of field is very handy given how busy the backgrounds tend to get and a flash can help in direct sun (to soften the shadows).
    Dave

http://www.degrootphotography.com.au/
    Canon EOS 1D MkIV | Canon EOS 5D MkII | Canon EOS 30D | Canon EF 400mm f/5.6L USM | Canon EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS USM | Canon EF 17-40mm f/4L USM | Canon EF 85mm f/1.2L II USM | Canon EF 35mm f/1.4L USM | Canon TS-E 17mm f/4L & some non-L lenses.

Threadstarter
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by DAdeGroot View Post
    Thought I'd chime in (late) with what I used at the Abbey.

During the day:

5DII with 400/5.6L
    1DIV with 70-200/2.8L IS

After dark I swapped out the 400 for a 35/1.4L and the 70-200 for an 85/1.2L

Fair bit of weight to lug around (had flashes on me as well), but the focal lengths worked well at that event.

However, coming from your 350D, that's a huge investment in kit for an event you're unlikely to make much (if any) money on. Given that these things are usually windy and dusty, changing lenses in the field should be avoided if possible, so a decent telephoto zoom would get you by (70-200/2.8 or even the f/4). Shallow depth of field is very handy given how busy the backgrounds tend to get and a flash can help in direct sun (to soften the shadows).
    Thanks so much! Using the flash in direct sunlight is definitely something I'm going to have to read up on.

I very much welcome and appreciate your feedback and constructive criticism!

If you would like to edit any image I post here, please feel free to do so! I would love to see what you can come up with and learn your method.

Account Closed
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I would recommend the new EF-S 18-55 $117, the new EF-S 55-250 $190 and the 430 EXII flash $268. Total $575.

I know you are seeing multi-thousand-$ lenses recommended in this thread, but the above items are significantly optically better than the older kit lenses you have, insanely cheap in relation to optical performance, and have IS that really works.

The flash is more important than one might first think. Outdoor events are often overly contrasty especially for faces in the sun, under hats etc. and fill flash can make a big difference. There is a learning curve but practice makes perfect! And you will be so excited when you start bouncing that flash indoors....

I'm shy too and the long lens is always tempting but the short answer is get closer, don't ask, shoot first, then say hi if you have their attention and move on. This will also move you into range of the flash. Seriously, at the sort of event you described everyone is expecting to be photographed, even the visitors. It's just open slather!

P.S. the 350D is several generations behind but should be fine for the shooting described in this thread. Make sure you are using point AF focus not area AF. If you really want a new body then a twin lens kit gets you the above two lenses for even insanelier cheaplier money.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12