User Tag List

Thanks useful information Thanks useful information:  3

Thread: Copy Protection

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Copy Protection

Has anyone tried this product, and if so, what was your experience?

http://www.artistscope.com/artis-secure-web-reader.asp
    or this,
    http://www.artistscope.com/copysafe_web_protection.asp

I'm thinking of setting up a website and given some of the stories I've heard from other photographers around here with kids copying their images, I was hoping that installing this right from the word go might help reduce the problem.

I can't quite get my head around how it works other than it installs on the browser of the visitor somehow, or disables browser add-ons.

Cheers,
    Tim

- - - Updated - - -

I also meant to share this link too.

http://makingamark.blogspot.com.au/2...r-blogger.html

Seems that people keep finding ways to use us as unpaid photographers.
    Last edited by Kym; 19-12-2012 at 2:55pm. Reason: Fixed link

Ausphotography Site Sponsor/Advertiser OzzieTraveller's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    G'day Tim

Seems quite smart - I'd guess that anyone whose web pix are 'the very best' and who are selling their stuff would be very interested in something like this

Regards, Phil
    Of all the stuff in a busy photographers kitbag, the ability to see photographically is the most important
    google me at Travelling School of Photography
    images.: flickr.com/photos/ozzie_traveller/sets/

Threadstarter

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi Phil. Not just the best, but images where there us only one possible customer, like school formal photos and sporting event photos. Anything shot on spec really.

I was hoping to read some testimonials, but I can't find any online. $300 as a once-off cost is probably worth it, but I'd want some idea of how it performs before I spend the money..

Cheers

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Warbler View Post
    I can't quite get my head around how it works other than it installs on the browser of the visitor somehow, or disables browser add-ons.
    I've never used it myself but from what I've read on the link you provided, it would appear that there are two options available for the hosting site (you); allow download of a browser plug-in that is reasonably secure where the average user is concerned, but not immune to knowledgeable abuse, and only allow viewing by downloading the custom web browser.

My concerns would be the fact that the Reader appears only to be available for Windows PCs... straight away you alienate Mac, Linux, IOS, Android users etc. And secondly, as a user myself, I'd very strongly avoid installing any
    application like the WebReader that may be used on 1 site only. For example, if I was a casual browser of your site, I'd go elsewhere as soon as the 'download app to browse this site' button appeared, never to return.

Personally I think that hosting low resolution or watermarked images is your most user-friendly option.
    --
    Nikon D90
    Nikkor 18-200mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR II, Nikkor 35mm f/1.8G
    Nikon SB-700 Speedlight
    RRS BH-55 Ballhead & B2 AS II Clamp
    (no legs yet)

It's all about the Light!
    Tech Admin
    Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I would not bother.
    Leave heavily watermarked lo-res proofs online and sell the real images as required.
    regards, Kym Gallery Honest & Direct Constructive Critique Appreciated! ©
    Digital & film, Bits of glass covering 10mm to 500mm, and other stuff

Threadstarter

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    There is apparently a third method which involves insertion of an encrypted image file on every page that you wish to protect. When read into the browser this attempts to disable certain plug-ins and scripts within the browser. Of course that will probably trigger an anti-virus warning or malware warning.

The problem is that a friend of mine has continuing problems with theft of images that even contain watermarks indicating that his images have been stolen. These knuckleheads apparently just take them anyway and post them all over Facebook. I've been waiting for him to tell me he has this system working on his website before I give it a try.