User Tag List

Thanks useful information Thanks useful information:  1

Thread: Wait for the 5dmk3?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Wait for the 5dmk3?

Ive decided to upgrade from my 550d to the 5dmk2, that was until i heard 'rumors' theres a 5dmk3 coming out. This was about 1 month ago.

As these are just rumors should i just stop waiting, bite the bullet and get the 5d2? or has anyone heard any confirmations?

I dont want to buy the 5d2 only to find out the 5d3 has just been announced. Im sure others dont like this happening either..
    Last edited by 13ulletz; 17-05-2011 at 1:13am.
    Cheers
    H.B

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi 13ulletz,

I have no idea when a 5D III will come out - not only am I not privvy to Canon's trade secrets, but I have not troubled to follow developments and rumours of late. But I have a firm opinion just the same -wait.

Normally, I advise people asking this sort of question to just buy the damn thing now and get on with taking photographs - there are always new models, and not one of them has ever stopped the old one taking pictures.

But in the case of the 5D II, I think you just have too much to lose by getting stuck with the old model. Don't get me wrong, a 5D II takes great pictures and there is absolutely nothing wrong with the image quality when everything goes right, but it is nevertheless a seriously compromised camera. In particular, the auto-focus system is out of the Ark. It is just not the standard of AF system you would want to be using on a $3000 camera. Even on lesser models like (e.g.) a 40D or 50D, it is clunky. On a 5D II, it's a major drawback.

(Tannin ducks for cover as hordes of deluded 5D II owners shout at him! No matter: truth is my shield. I have never owned a 5D II, but I have owned plenty of cameras with essentially the same AF system. Back when Canon fitted the first version of it to my 20D in 1995, it was pretty decent. For a $3000 camera in 2011 it's simply not good enough. Canon won't put a 1 Series AF system into the 5D III, nor even a 7D AF system, you wouldn't think, but they will surely improve on the old one by a big margin.)
    Last edited by Tannin; 17-05-2011 at 3:23am.
    Tony

It's a poor sort of memory that only works backwards.

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    hahaha. the old "Gear Loop"!

So now you decide to wait for the 5Dmk3, cause it is rumoured to be announced soon, well guess what, once the 5Dmk3 is released, the rumours will start about the 5Dmk4, which will be about 18 months later and have some great features not seen on the mk3. Yep you are stuck in the Gear Loop, either waiting for the next release, or upgrading cause a newer model is out there. Under the premise of waiting for the next version, you would never actually buy anything, hence the "Gear Loop"

The 5Dmk2 is a great bit of gear, go and buy it and use it, waiting for the next big thing is a waste of time in my opinion, cause think of all the great photo opportunities you might miss out on cause you don't have your new camera now.
    "It is one thing to make a picture of what a person looks like, it is another thing to make a portrait of who they are" - Paul Caponigro

Constructive Critique of my photographs is always appreciated
    Nikon, etc!

RICK
    My Photography

Way Down Yonder in the Paw Paw Patch jim's Avatar
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It's a trap isn't it. But I think that in this case Tony has a specific issue with the current camera that he thinks merits waiting. Seems reasonable. After all H.B. has a camera of some description now, and is taking pretty nice pictures with it too, so waiting is a feasable alternative.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well I'm a happy 5DII owner, but have to agree with Tony that the AF system could be better. Will the AF system in the 5DIII be improved? No one knows. And no one will know until the camera is officially announced.

Buy a 5DII now if you want to enjoy it now. Or, if you are a patient person, wait until the 5DIII is announced, review the specs and decide if the improvements are substantial enough to warrant buying the MkIII. If not, you can probably pick up a MkII model at a reduced price once the new version is out.

In the interim, consider your lens lineup. Get the best glass you can afford. Glass is where the real investment lies, to my mind.
    Last edited by Jules; 17-05-2011 at 9:41am. Reason: Punctuation
    Canon DSLRs & lenses | Fuji X series & lenses | Ricoh GR

Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jules View Post
    review the specs and decide if the improvements are substantial enough to warrant buying the MkIII. If not, you can probably pick up a MkII model at a reduced price once the new version is out.
    That was my exact plan.

Thanks guys for the feedback

I am aware of the gear loop, it exists majorly in the IT world lol although if and when the 5d3 is announced/released my mind would be made up, not 18 months down the track when a new piece of gear is rumored again

The next lens ive considered is the 14mm f2.8L to replace my tokina 11-16 but i am yet to read up on it:P

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi,
    I think both sides of the "argument" are well represented above.

If you are still after rumours for the MKIII... this is the place http://www.northlight-images.co.uk/c...Canon_5d3.html
    Latest "prediction" is 19 point AF system, 3 cross-type points, DIGIC 5

There is an interesting graph of all the existing Canon DSLR's mid way down page showing time between release dates.

Do what you will with the information... good luck!

Cheers
    John

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The OP is stuck at a complicated point in the camera cycle IMO

The 5D2 is well and truly about to be replaced soon, no ifs or buts about it - I mean, I did play with the pre release models way back in mid 2008! My advice is to just use your existing camera and wait out for the 5D3 which is inevitable, or find a 2nd hand 5D2 for a good price, I dont see the rationality in buying a new one unless Canon is offering a cash back or clearance sale at the end of its life cycle.

Judging from your lens list, you have no lenses which will be able to fully utilize and resolve the high MP sensor of the 5D3 when it comes out, it will be higher than the current 21mp - thats a given. Even when the 5D2 came out it exposed the flaws in some lenses due to its sensor - ie. the 17-40 L, and a lot of EF lenses in the ability of the glass to resolve enough details. So you would need to invest in some good expensive/medium priced lenses to make the most of the 5D3.

I was never happy with the 5D2's AF system, but I never used it where it was not meant to be ie. sporting or birding or action. Serves me fine for fashion/wedding/landscapes/travel etc.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by JM Tran View Post
    The OP is stuck at a complicated point in the camera cycle IMO

The 5D2 is well and truly about to be replaced soon, no ifs or buts about it - I mean, I did play with the pre release models way back in mid 2008! My advice is to just use your existing camera and wait out for the 5D3 which is inevitable, or find a 2nd hand 5D2 for a good price, I dont see the rationality in buying a new one unless Canon is offering a cash back or clearance sale at the end of its life cycle.

Judging from your lens list, you have no lenses which will be able to fully utilize and resolve the high MP sensor of the 5D3 when it comes out, it will be higher than the current 21mp - thats a given.
    Not really. Given that the 5D Mark II's sensor is already resolving optical aberrations in L-series lenses, it doesn't make a huge amount of sense to push sensor resolution significantly higher. Also, many of the recent de-facto body upgrades have seen only marginal/non-existent upgrades to resolution (e.g. 550D/600D or 100D/1100D), and the resolution of some Canon models has not changed for 4 generations (e.g. G9/G10/G11/G12 - all 10 megapixels). I think any change to resolution on a revised 5D will be minimal, lest even more optical aberrations show up in higher resolution images; the push in image quality is more likely to be in high ISO performance rather than resolution, and auto-focus (given that the 5D Mark II has the same comparatively awful 9-point AF as the first-generation 5D).
    --=3 In Veritas Lux E=--
    Bodies: Canon EOS 5D Mk II, Canon EOS 550D
    Lenses: EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II USM, EF 24-105mm f/4L IS USM, EF 50mm f/1.4 USM
    Strobist: 2 x Speedlite 580EXII, 4 x Yongnuo RF-603 Radio Tranceivers, Yongnuo ST-E2 IR Transmitter
    3 x Manfrotto Light Stands, 2 x Softboxes, 2 x Bounce Brollies
    Tripod: Vanguard Alta Pro 263AT, PH-50 Panhead

Moderately Underexposed
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ElectricImages View Post
    , and the resolution of some Canon models has not changed for 4 generations (e.g. G9/G10/G11/G12 - all 10 megapixels).
    Nope, canon realised where they went wrong in chasing big numbers.

G9 = 12.1 megapickles.
    G10 = 14.7 megapickles.
    G11 = 10 megapickles.
    G12 = 10 megapickles.
    Andrew
    Nikon, Fuji, Nikkor, Sigma, Tamron, Tokina and too many other bits and pieces to list.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ElectricImages View Post
    Not really. Given that the 5D Mark II's sensor is already resolving optical aberrations in L-series lenses, it doesn't make a huge amount of sense to push sensor resolution significantly higher. Also, many of the recent de-facto body upgrades have seen only marginal/non-existent upgrades to resolution (e.g. 550D/600D or 100D/1100D), and the resolution of some Canon models has not changed for 4 generations (e.g. G9/G10/G11/G12 - all 10 megapixels). I think any change to resolution on a revised 5D will be minimal, lest even more optical aberrations show up in higher resolution images; the push in image quality is more likely to be in high ISO performance rather than resolution, and auto-focus (given that the 5D Mark II has the same comparatively awful 9-point AF as the first-generation 5D).
    I disagree, the 5 series has always been positioned between the 1D and 1Ds models. I am willing to bet my career that it will be similar to the 1Ds4 when that comes out, in terms of IQ and MP. We are talking full frame sensors here not APSC sensors or smaller which Canon reversed its trend on.

How can you even compare a 5 series to the ***D and ****D series in terms of evolution? Those entry level cameras have always had incremental changes and upgrades with a much shorter lifespan. The 1 and 5 series have always had significant changes every time a new model is released, and its generally 3 years in between not 12 to 18 months like those models.....

Account Closed
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I wouldn't be buying a mk11 or any computer/electronic gear for top dollar toward end of its product cycle. Although it's nearing it's 'supposed' 3yr replacement, it may be further delayed with all the problems of the earthquake & tsunami over there.