Thanks useful information Thanks useful information:  1

Thread: Future D800 owners: Which Lens are you most excited about using

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What are peoples thoughts on manual focus prime lenses - such as the nikkor 28 mm f/2.8 AIS? I am thinking about buying a manual focus lens or two for landscape photography (not that I am buying a D800, but who knows, maybe in the future).

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Lazyshooter View Post
    What are peoples thoughts on manual focus prime lenses - such as the nikkor 28 mm f/2.8 AIS? I am thinking about buying a manual focus lens or two for landscape photography (not that I am buying a D800, but who knows, maybe in the future).
    I had a 28 mm MF lens for 20 years but for landscapes I think a bit wider would be a good idea. Maybe look around for a 17-35 f 2.8 AF-S? I have one of these I got off ebay and I love it on DX. Really looking forward to seeing it on the D800 as it is only about 24mm equivalent on DX. The other one you might find cheap is the discontinued 24-85 f3.5-4 AF-S. I also have one of these and it is a great lens on FX but I found I was often reaching for the 18-55 kit lens when traveling in New Zealand to get the extra width. You would get one for around $300-$400. I paid about $800 or so for mine back in the film days about 6 years ago.

So with these 2 lenses and a 70-200 f2.8 I have the poor mans Holy Trinity. There is a zoom lens simulator on the Nikon site and there is not much difference between 17 and 14mm.
    RodW
    Brisbane south side