Page 1 of 8 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Defects in D800

A. P's Culinary Indiscriminant
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Defects in D800

As indicated before, Mongo has waited 8 years to upgrade his camera body waiting for the quantum leap instead of the yearly incremental steps from his D200. So he bought a D800 about a month or so ago and about $3500 later. In many respects the camera disappoints but some are to scared to say so. More and more Mongo sees others on the net pointing out faults. They ring a familiar bell with Mongo.

Speaking to Sar recently, we both seem to have had at least one similar negative experience i.e. the focus seems to just "lock" at times and not refocus when you aim at something else or "freezes" on the object you last focused on and not refocus. Luckily, these were temporary "freezes" which thawed out moments later but annoying nonetheless and what Mongo considers is a design or factory fault !! Many others have reported the same experience on the net. Too many to be a coincidence.

Additionally, Mongo was unhappy with the sharpness/focus he was getting from time to time. There are countless owners who reported the same problem on the net world wide. The specific problem being that the left side AF sensors do not focus accurately. Generally, the middle and right have not been reported as being affected or as badly affected. Mongo did a quick test today to get it out of his head. Unfortunately ,that just put more steam in his head which whistled even more loudly from his ears.

Mongo's results show what he considers to be very bad AF focus from the left sensor(s) slowly improving across the middle sensor to the right sensor which is better again than the left (by far) and the middle (by a noticeable amount). Whilst the right sensor is the best of all, Mongo is in no way convinced that even it is functioning as accurately as it could or should be - it just happen to be the best of a bad lot.

3 test images appear below from far left to middle to right sensors. Mongo took several sets and they are all consistent with the set Mongo has attached here. Mongo thinks the difference is quite evident but becomes even more evident when you look at the first and then the last (skipping the middle image). Moreover, the original images show the differences even more dramatically on Mongo's screen at home.

The images have been standardised in that they have been taken and processed identically. They were taken in Jpeg and no sharpening (except "+1" which had been set in camera) or processing other than reduction for the web has been applied. In any event, Whatever has been done to one image,has been done identically to the others.

Test details: D800 on FX Jpeg fine, tripod, 70-200VR on aperture priority wide open at f2.8 set to 200mm, VR -off, single spot sensor used for AF, ISO 100, spot metering (but note that all exposures were identical in any event i.e 1/800th, f2.8, +0.7EV), distance to subject about 10 to 12 metres, all images were taken within seconds of each other.

Mongo used a 70-200 because of its accuracy and sharpness but set at 200mm. Apparently, this problem is far worse and noticeable when trying to use the AF sensors on a wide angle lens , say, wider than a 50mm.

You wonder how it could ever get through quality control and leave the factory in this state. Mongo has always said that if he wasn't so heavily invested in Nikon gear, he would be buying Canon. Mongo has had enough and it's going back to Nikon tomorrow.

left sensor
    A---left-focus.jpg

middle sensor
    A--middle-focus.jpg

right sensor
    A-right-focus.jpg
    Last edited by mongo; 20-06-2012 at 4:43pm.
    Nikon and Pentax user

Ausphotography Regular
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Oooh thats not nice Mongo! I wouldn't say any of the images look crisp as the should.

Can you point out where the focus point was on these? On the ivy?
    Call me Roo......
    Nikon D300s, Nikon 35mm 1.8 DX, Nikkor 50mm 1.4 Af-S, Nikon 18-200mm VR, Nikon 70-200VRII 2.8, Sigma 105 Macro, Sigma 150-500mm f5-6.3 APO DG OS HSM, Tokina 12-24mm, Sb-600, D50, Nikon 1.7 T/C, Gitzo CF Monopod

Threadstarter

Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by rellik666 View Post
    .....Can you point out where the focus point was on these? On the ivy?
    Roo it is roughly in the area marked in red. Could not be precise as this data was lost in converting the files for the web

A---left-focus-point.jpg

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    looks like a misalignment of the Af sensor...as you say the far right is the best of the bunch....Ive read posts where this has been fixed is a service..so you should be good after Nikon have realigned the AF array ....a pisser I know. but at least yours is better Than Chris's...his is locking up all the time...in some ways Nikon hit a home run with the D800...but there's a few home goals in there too.

another reason Im waiting... I've vowed never to be a early adopter again after a Pentax K5 fiasco
    Cheers and my name is Steve

OMD Em1...Now with two lenses !

http://www.flickr.com/photos/steve_tompsett/
    http://tommo.smugmug.com/

Fishy
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It doesn't seem to matter which brand you purchase the rush to get it out there before the opposition compromises the end product. The bugs which could be easily fixed with proper testing detract from the pleasure and joy of an expensive purchase. You have had the camera for 1 month and found this fault so what were the original testers doing? Quality control? It would appear the dollar is more important and if there are a few complaints we expect a certain percentage so what...... I dealt with a company that supplies faulty products but they would only replace those who complained the loudest. No compensation just replace product. The fact that it could be a 2 hour replacement job didn't seem to matter to them. I lost many clients over that and of course they told all their friends not to use this product. The damage done far out weighs the recall of a product. Good luck with your endevours. cheers Brian
    Cheers Brian.

Canon 7D Kit lenses EFS 18-55 IS EFS 55-250 IS EF28-90 Canon EF 2xll Extender Sigma DG150-500 OS Speedlight 420EX. 580EX

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sorry to here that Mongo, I'm sure once the bugs are fixed Mongo will be very happy again , Bit of a bugger though , William can feel your pain
    Canon : 30D, and sometimes the 5D mkIII , Sigma 10-20, 50mm 1.8, Canon 24-105 f4 L , On loan Sigma 120-400 DG and Canon 17 - 40 f4 L , Cokin Filters

Way Down Yonder in the Paw Paw Patch jim's Avatar
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Disappointing considering how much you invest in these things.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Mongo

just for the sake of it I just tried my D700 with a 60mm micro D lens..and guess what..at the outer most AF points..its soft..come in one point either end and the problem goes away...have you tried your D800 one click in from the outer most points ?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hmm, interesting analysis Mongo. Im particularly concerned that the focus for the middle isn't spot on, as that tends to be where I hunt most frequency. Will be doing a check of mine as well.
    John
    Nikon D800, D700, Nikkor 14-24 F2.8, 24-70mm F2.8, 50mm F1.8D, 70-200mm F2.8 VRII, Manfrotto 190XB with Q5 PM Head,
    SB-900,600, portable strobist setup & Editing on an Alienware M14x with LR4 and CS5 and a Samsung XL2370 Monitor.

Stormchasing isn't a hobby...its an obsession.
    For my gallery and photography: www.emanatephotography.com

Moderately Underexposed
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yep, the problem is real.
    It was one of the first things I checked with our bodies and both behave the same way.
    The outer left AF point simply isn't.
    The problem manifests itself to a greater degree with apertures wider than F/4.
    I'm sure that a few have been fixed by now around the globe so sending bodies back now is probably about the right time to start.

I am NOT going to let one small problem mar my experience with a camera that is otherwise excellent and I feel that it is purely going to be a minor focus screen shimming alignment problem ( hopefully ) but at this stage I look at as if it is just another hiccup in photography, not the end of the world.

As for singling out Nikon as being any better or any worse in respect to "new model problems" than any other maker I still reckon they are ahead by a short nose on the right side of the post to most.
    Andrew
    Nikon, Fuji, Nikkor, Sigma, Tamron, Tokina and too many other bits and pieces to list.

Ausphotography Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    D800 owners may be interested in this story from Nikon Rumours:

http://nikonrumors.com/2012/06/18/ru...out-soon.aspx/
    Waz
    Be who you are and say what you mean, because those who matter don't mind don't matter and those who mind don't matter - Dr. Seuss...
    D700 x 2 | Nikkor AF 50 f/1.8D | Nikkor AF 85 f/1.8D | Optex OPM2930 tripod/monopod | Enthusiasm ...

Threadstarter

Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for all your replies. Waz, is spot on with what has been happening in his attached links.

Contacted Nikon and its going back tomorrow for the firmware update to fix the freeze problem and to correct the well known AF problems of which they appear to have done many recently and they know for sure they can correct it.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    as nice as the d800 appears, teething problems are exactly why I have not ditched my d3x in a mad rush for latest and greatest. once problems are established and corrected the 800 will be a formidable camera. dont give up on nikon just yet mongo. the IQ is ahead of a lot of other systems out there.
    Successful People Make Adjustments - Evander Holyfield

Account Closed
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Can certainly understand your angst, but on the bright side, it sounds like its a known issue & plans are in place to have it resolved instead of being palmed off as a random event by only a couple of users.
    Hope all gets fixed quickly.

It's all about the Light!
    Tech Admin
    Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Modern cameras are extremely complex mechanically and electronically.
    As much testing etc. that goes into them it is impossible to have this tech 100% bug free.
    I guess this is why we buy local (support) and not so much grey esp. camera bodies.
    I'm sure Nikon will sort this issue PDQ.
    regards, Kym Gallery Honest & Direct Constructive Critique Appreciated! ©
    Digital & film, Bits of glass covering 10mm to 500mm, and other stuff

Threadstarter

Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    forgot to mention that the camera focuses far more accurately on "live view" (which Mongo never uses) because a different set of focusing tools/parameters are used to establish focus. Just interesting to note. Mongo tried it quickly and the focus was far more accurate on live view.

Mongo is certain they will fix it but it is still a big pain to Mongo and countless other owners over the world so it still reflects badly on Nikon. Other manufacturers may have problems like this also from time to time but they do not charge the sort of money Nikon does - so Nikon have a far bigger responsibility to get it right. It is not good enough to for Nikon or for us to think that because it happens to others its OK to happen to one of the most expensive brands as often or as much. That's just what Mongo thinks.

Site Rules Breach - Permanent Ban
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Really sorry to read you going through this with your new purchase.

How long can you own something like this for before you have to send it back to Nikon instead of (if you chose to) take it back to where ever you purchased it from for a full refund as "Not fit for purpose as sold"?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I got mine grey from SG as some may have read. It doesn't exhibit any of the focus point issues, no lock-ups (I updated the "B" firmware as it was released) and whilst I agree Mongo it would be very frustrating with a new toy, Nikon are no worse than any other manufacturer. In fact Nikon have had a good run of recent bodies behaving well out of the box, and some have been excellent performers. Think D3/s, D700 exceptional cameras.

A note as well regarding the cost, Canon's new 5DMKIII is more exe than the D800..

Mine has a production date on the box of 04/12

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    What firmware do you have Mongo, and is it the latest downloadable one from Nikon? Your camera may not need to go back, just need the firmware update, which Nikon make available so the user can download and update.

We have seen these types of 'teething' issues repeatedly. Remember all the Canon 5D's that had their mirrors fall off?

I too, hold off on buying early batches now, cause of this repeating cycle, not just in camera gear, but all electronics.
    "It is one thing to make a picture of what a person looks like, it is another thing to make a portrait of who they are" - Paul Caponigro

Constructive Critique of my photographs is always appreciated
    Nikon, etc!

RICK
    My Photography

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi Mongo,

I was warned by Lance B on this possible AF defect the first day I got my D800.
    In the first week, I did a quick check with my 85/1.4G and couldn't detect any anomaly.
    Last Monday morning when you called me and told me about this left sensor defect, I did about 10 photos using one of the left farest AF points on my D800. All of the focuses were spot on.
    Here is one of them :

200-400 VRI+TC-20EIII, wide open, 1/125", @800mm, AF-C & Dynamic 51-points, handheld.

Crop

I'm sorry that yours has this focus defect. I'm looking forward to hearing the explanation from Nikon Australia on this problem.
    In the meantime, I'm going to do some more tests with my other lenses and with different settings...
    Last edited by Sar NOP; 21-06-2012 at 7:35am.

Page 1 of 8 1234 ... LastLast