Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Lens advice for Africa trip.

Account Closed
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by monty1104 View Post
    ....As for a telephoto zoom, thats where I need help.... I am looking at either the Canon EF 70-300mm f4-5.6 USM or the Tamron equivalent. ....
    The standard Canon 70-300 USM IS is a very good lens and at a decent price too.

Make sure you get an IS version. Not much extra $$$ and well worth it.

Take a tripod for the landscapes but for safari I recommend a mini beanbag to rest the camera on vehicle door sills or other parts of the vehicle. You may well be going on dusk drives for big animals and you will need a support even with IS but there will be no room for a tripod. A suitable bag is better than a monopod.

Hope this helps.

Ausphotography Regular
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I went to Africa in 2007 with a Canon 350D and the Canon 70-300 non IS lens and in most cases the lens was sufficient for photos, but when the animals were further away, I could have done with a longer lens. I am hoping to go again soon and now have the Canon 100-400 L series which I can't wait to try out. If you are taking the Kenko macro extension tubes, the 70-300 will also double as a macro lens (I used this combination for a couple of years until I could afford a proper macro lens). You can view my set on Flickr if you wish on:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/8364607...7601849785568/

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I used to live in Africa, but in those days there was only film. However, I have been back with a 100-400L, and I can vouch for the fact that this is an ideal lens for game. The w/a lens for the desert is a must, and the Sosusvlei dunes are just magnificent, early am or late evening. As mentioned elsewhere, do take a set of extention tubes. They are very useful for close ups of butterflies, insects, lizards and the like. Put a 20mm on the 100-400, and you will have close ups you never dreamed possible.
    Cheers, Mike.

Threadstarter
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks so much to everyone for the advice. I ended up getting a 12-24mm tokina and a Canon EF 70-300mm IS USM. Got both second hand and both are in really good nick so I'm pretty happy overall

Account Closed
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    cheers, good buy, and you are going to have such a great time in Africa!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12