Thanks useful information Thanks useful information:  5
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: new canon lens for wedding shoot

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    mysticaldreamz

I am sorry but I forget to mention you need truck loads of extra batteries too, for you cameras, and the speedlites (or anything that runs on batteries)

Edit: only just saw the OP has mentioned about the batteries herself, so all good
    Last edited by andylo; 12-12-2011 at 1:09pm.

Account Closed
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hey mys, don't get too nervous. These guys are posting advice as if you are going to BE THE PROFESSIONAL PHOTOGRAPHER. On that basis, their advice is right.

Make it clear to the rellies you are not a professional photographer and you are not going to produce the same standard as a pro. If they are going to demand "dream come true" photos from you then tell them to pay for a professional, AND cross their fingers. Tell them your photos will be in between the standard of the shutterbugs and the pros. Tell them if both your cameras don't work on the day then that's that and it's not your fault; you will revert to guest and enjoy the wedding like anyone else there. There are good reasons why it's a job for experts.

OTOH in my experience some people aren't super nuts about their wedding photos. If you are clear on that, and have made it clear and they agree to stick with you, then go ahead.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    With respect, if you engage a photographer to photograph your wedding your expectation re standard is high. Joe public don't understand the differentiation in my experience.
    Darren
    Gear : Nikon Goodness
    Please support Precious Hearts
    Constructive Critique of my images always appreciated

Ausphotography Regular
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Arg View Post
    Hey mys, don't get too nervous. These guys are posting advice as if you are going to BE THE PROFESSIONAL PHOTOGRAPHER.
    No.
    I did not.

But rather I answered the question about lenses and then gave advice as best to be commensurate with a Novice using the gear at a Wedding for the first time and for doing "a Favour".

In summary: to keep it as simple as possible.

WW

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Mine's just a "survival guide on equipment" that I build from my experiences in the near pass.
    Last edited by andylo; 12-12-2011 at 4:15pm.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Arg View Post
    Hey mys, don't get too nervous. These guys are posting advice as if you are going to BE THE PROFESSIONAL PHOTOGRAPHER. On that basis, their advice is right.

Make it clear to the rellies you are not a professional photographer and you are not going to produce the same standard as a pro. If they are going to demand "dream come true" photos from you then tell them to pay for a professional, AND cross their fingers. Tell them your photos will be in between the standard of the shutterbugs and the pros. Tell them if both your cameras don't work on the day then that's that and it's not your fault; you will revert to guest and enjoy the wedding like anyone else there. There are good reasons why it's a job for experts.

OTOH in my experience some people aren't super nuts about their wedding photos. If you are clear on that, and have made it clear and they agree to stick with you, then go ahead.
    Maybe some people treat their hobbies more seriously than others, understands what it takes to make the day memorable, as uneventful as possible and in addition does ensure that they do their best if they do promise to help rather than a shady job. The OP is taking the place of a professional photographer and in that aspect IMO is taking the right steps to ensure that he's up to the job and that the special day is immortalised. I absolutely agree with the bit of setting their expectations.

In my experience there i've only come across a handful of people who don't appreciate good photos. Most people do and can spot the difference between good photos and crappy ones, but it doesn't matter what other people are like in regards to photos as it's the OP's friends who are the ones requesting the service. It boils down to if they are picky or not, so experience with other people is moot really. It's can't be generic, the client/friend/relative's taste must be catered for.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by kiwi View Post
    With respect, if you engage a photographer to photograph your wedding your expectation re standard is high.
    Yep, and there lies the problem. They think enough of you and your work to photograph their wedding, so don't be under any illusion to the contrary, they will expect good results. The fact you are a relative and a novice with wedding photograhy will mean very little when it comes to seeing the finished product. There is plenty of good advice already given. You need to think about this while there is time to get out of it, or if you are willing to commit you need to take some of the advice already been mentioned, plus study up and practice. The more practice you get in the better your chances. You certainly do not want to walk into that or any wedding without doing what William W suggests re the speedlite knowledge. Never underestimate, plan and practice until you know exactly how your gear will behave and what results it will give you in just about any situation.
    Lloyd
    Canon 5D2+40D+L+Σ+S100
    Never make the same mistake twice, there are so many new ones, try a different one each day
    Flickr

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I just recently finished my first ever wedding photography. Fortunately it was for friends who had very little expectation, and just wanted a few good shots from the day. However, I did take it as a full project and went for the wedding journalism style (photographing everything from morning to late).

The gear I ended up using:

Canon 50D
    Canon 7D (borrowed from a friend)
    4x 8Gb memory cards
    Canon 24-70 L -- This lens was used for about 80% of all photos.
    Canon 50mm f/1.8 -- I used this mainly to isolate subjects and photograph trinkets and other small items (instead of using the macro)
    Canon 18-200mm kit -- this is the longest lens I owned so only used it for distant headshots where I couldn't get close. I also gave it to my partner to take any random shots that she came across. She's not a photographer, but she actually managed some good shots that went into the album.
    Canon 10-22mm -- I definitely needed this for the big group photo, and the occasional 'setting' photo
    Canon 580EXII speedlight (with diffuser) -- I only had one flash so it was a bit of a risk.

I also had 2 strobes but reserved this for the photobooth at the reception (which is worth thinking about - people love it). However the strobes can be placed around the dancefloor and pointed to a reflecting wall/ceiling which allows an even light as you scout the room. You can pick cheap ones up with stands for under $500.

Finally, some post-processing wouldn't go astray. Especially if you don't have the skills to nail the shot perfectly each time, every time.

If I could change anything, I'd add a good quality long lens (up to 200mm-300mm) and another flash.

Finally (and I really wish I did this), if you are using 2 bodies, make sure you date/time is set accurately on both. That way, when you download your photos, they will list together in the right order on your computer.
    http://bit.ly/dnc5cT

Threadstarter
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    appreciate all the suggestions and feedback, I will do the best I can on the day and they tell me they will be happy with that, its been a very daunting experiance thus far, was nervous before but i have 2 months to get ova the nerves and get to it..
    so thanks to all, I really appreciate all your help.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I am not going to tell you not to do it, but make sure they realize your shots will not look like the ones in the bridal mags. maybe do an engagement shoot with them, Good practice for you and sets the expectation for them.

As for gear, what post software do you have? This is where the magic happens, and having lightroom and some nice presets (free download) will make all the difference.

As for lenses, I would think a Sigma 24-70 2.8, Canon 50mm 1.8 (incase its really dark) and a cheap chinese speedlight would do just fine, I think you are better spending your cash on entry level gear that gives you options, than one lens, especially when it is just a favor and you are not planning to go pro.

Watch some videos on youtube, read up, find some models to practice on, scrub up your skills in post and you will do just fine
    Part time Real Estate and Product photographer | CANON

Threadstarter
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I just purchased the Canon 50mm 1.8 and a cheap chinese speedlight yesterday
    as for software i have just about everything.

adobe photoshop elements 10

adobe photoshop cs5

coral paint shop photo pro x3

paint shop pro x4

photo impact 12

panorama make 5

lightroom 3.2

so i think i have the software covered , been experimenting and learning some of it.

thanks for you input i really appreciate it..

Threadstarter
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    well the wedding day has come and gone, personally i think i got some lovely shots, a lot of work involved but it ran quiet smoothly.IMG_2568.JPGIMG_2614.JPGIMG_2514.JPGIMG_2572.JPG

Ausphotography Regular
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If the B&G are happy and you are happy and the day went smoothly then that is good.

They all appear a relaxed: and that comes across in your photos.

WW
    Last edited by William W; 13-02-2012 at 11:11am. Reason: to improve clarity of meaning

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    they all seem very soft to me, sorry, and the white balance seems out on the last two unless she her dress is a lilac blue

Glad you had a good time, but I think these pics need work still personally, the shutter speeds look very slow, 1/30s ? iso100 ?

Account Closed
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Using the Auto camera modes was probably not a wise choice, but too late now to do anything about that. If you get to do another one of these, I'd stay well away from those and shoot in RAW as well. Now you're just going to have to get to work on them in your editor and make the best of them.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    ^^^^ A lot of good points. There are a lot of good angles other than standing and shoot as well. Looking at the photos it feels as if you were inadequately prepared for the wedding in terms of experience, how long have you had your camera and how often do you use it? Don't be shy to pose the people and have a look at other wedding photographers photos to get some inspiration, the 2nd photo is very unglam for the bride. There's still work to be done with the photos and it can be made better like in the last photo i reckon a little bit of cropping may make the photo better.

Glad you had fun! It is a wonderful experience and should you wish to take more in the future, i'd recommend you to get to know the fundamentals of photography better and shoot more often + grab better gear.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You had a go , thats the main thing . From what I see sure there can always be room for improvement but we all have to start somewhere . One step at a time we learn .

Bubbleyboy.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Bubbleyboy View Post
    You had a go , thats the main thing . From what I see sure there can always be room for improvement but we all have to start somewhere . One step at a time we learn .

Bubbleyboy.
    Good on you for having a go. I still vividly remember the sheer terror I faced when my sister asked me to do what you have done at her wedding and that was over 20 years ago! Back then it was film so it was a nervous wait till Monday morning to see the results but it all turned out in the end. The modern wedding photos are much more creative today than in my era which had a lot more formal shots. I had somebody who really cared about the print quality when the films were processed and took his advice on the film etc before I started.

Before I did this wedding I always took a lot of photos at every wedding i attended and once one pro lost a roll of film at the lab and the people would not have had an album without my shots. After that I told people I was their insurance!
    RodW
    Brisbane south side

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12