Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: 8 Of The Biggest Photographic Clichés

Moderately Underexposed
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Danielle10 View Post

Babies in some sort of vintage suitcase with a blanket or somewhere in the bush. Uugh and pregnant bellies? I have seen some ok ones but it just erks me.
    Wow!!!

I bet your facebook friends list just shrank by 50%
    Andrew
    Nikon, Fuji, Nikkor, Sigma, Tamron, Tokina and too many other bits and pieces to list.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I just found this link http://files.petapixel.com/assets/up...atic2_mini.jpg on photographic clichés that gave me a good chuckle
    Its good to see that although the technologies changed a hell of a lot the clichés haven't really.

My fave at the moment is the jetty in various states of repair extending out onto the tranquil water of the idyllic lake/river/pond/ocean at sunrise/sunset. Which I intend to perfect because I quite like them and they seem to sell well at work.

I am with allot of you, who really cares if its cliché, if its special to you or brings with it a feeling or moment for yourself or someone else, what harm is it doing.
    Now cliché mediocre music on the other hand is a different story.
    At least you don't have look at a photo you don't appreciate. Its much harder to switch off your ears

Cheers Dan
    "Before you judge a man, walk a mile in his shoes. After that who cares, Youre a mile away and have his shoes!!" Billy Conelly

Eos 550D Sigma 17-50 2.8 EX DC OS HSM, 55-250mm IS, Nifty 50 and training wheels

Formerly : Apollo62
    Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Danielle10 View Post
    Wait!! I can add a 9th cliche'

Babies and maternity shots.
    I'm sorry but I just hate them!!

Babies in some sort of vintage suitcase with a blanket or somewhere in the bush. Uugh and pregnant bellies? I have seen some ok ones but it just erks me.
    Yes, I agree and I forgot all about this type of genre when I made the original list. Anne Geddes type photos were all the rage at one point in time until the novelty wore off and they really started to look VERY cliché.

I haven't had time to look at this thread for a while as I had to fly home to Tassie for my mothers funeral but I'm glad it's generated a bit of debate which was my intention all along. How people approach the taking of any kind of image and their motivation behind doing so is a matter of personal preference but it never hurts to think outside the box every once in a while.

Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ving View Post
    Sorry about the lack of appropriate setting

Nope, you're still doing it wrong Ving. You have to have somebody else in the shot with you (preferably sticking their tongue out) otherwise, if you were to post this on Facebook, everybody would think you were pretty sad because it looks like you have no friends.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have a good picture of a rubbish tip - from Botswana, not local - because it was covered in vultures!
    malcolm

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Can't all photos be described as cliche to a certain extent? Most scenes / occurrences have been seen or done before at some point. There is nothing wrong with getting creative and doing something truly out there but it's what an image evokes in you hats important. Seems like saying rock and roll is cliche so find something else.

Jb

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    the biggest cliche here is the fact that this appears to be the similar/same topic to one I'd read a month earlier, on a different website. Clearly very roughly rewritten, with two exclusions from the original 10 biggest photographic cliches.

http://www.australianphotography.com...in-photography

Perhaps its ironic that even this isnt original
    William

www.longshots.com.au

I am the PhotoWatchDog

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Apollo62 View Post
    I actually collected these from various sources on the web and rewrote them because some of them were rather inflammatory but my aim was to generate discussion about percepted "cliché" type photos and garner the opinions of people who are actually into photography to see what they thought.
    So based on Longshots' post above, seems the various sources, were just one source, albeit re-worded, and dropped a couple off the list.
    "It is one thing to make a picture of what a person looks like, it is another thing to make a portrait of who they are" - Paul Caponigro

Constructive Critique of my photographs is always appreciated
    Nikon, etc!

RICK
    My Photography

Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ricktas View Post
    So based on Longshots' post above, seems the various sources, were just one source, albeit re-worded, and dropped a couple off the list.

Nope, because I left out maternity shots, Dragan effect (a technique used by Andrzej Dragan) and tilt shift where the resultant photo makes it appear that the subjects look like they are miniature. Anybody else feel like sticking the boots into me?

[top]

Amor fati!
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Nope, you're still doing it wrong Ving. You have to have somebody else in the shot with you (preferably sticking their tongue out) otherwise, if you were to post this on Facebook, everybody would think you were pretty sad because it looks like you have no friends.

I am trying damn it! i am trying!!!!!!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Nope, because I left out maternity shots, Dragan effect (a technique used by Andrzej Dragan) and tilt shift where the resultant photo makes it appear that the subjects look like they are miniature. Anybody else feel like sticking the boots into me?

[top]

OK I'll take up the challenge.
    Why not move on and give photography a miss if you think that every aspect of photography is a cliche? For goodness sake, do something productive instead of knocking everything in photography. All I read here is a host of resentment.

Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Longshots View Post
    OK I'll take up the challenge.
    Why not move on and give photography a miss if you think that every aspect of photography is a cliche? For goodness sake, do something productive instead of knocking everything in photography. All I read here is a host of resentment.
    Show me exactly where I said or even implied that I think EVERY aspect of photography is a cliché? For the record, if you look at my original post, I never said ANYTHING or gave my opinion about what I thought about photographic clichés. Just because I made the original post does not mean that I agree with what was written. The purpose was to generate discussion which, I admit, was done in an emotive way but it had the desired effect. The original post was a collection of rewritten quotes from OTHER PEOPLE, not me.
    From a lot of the posts, I get the impression that a lot of people have a very weird interpretation of the word cliché (
    A trite or overused expression or idea ) which somehow got interpreted to mean that EVERYTHING in photography is cliché which, of course, it is not. For the record, these are my opinions about the 8 biggest photographic clichés:

1: THE ARMS LENGTH SELF PORTRAIT (SELFIES) - Fine if you are young and want to have a record of a good night out or whatever but not something that I think any serious photographer would intentionally execute with anything other than a mobile phone camera. Facebook is filled with shots like these.

2: THE HEADLESS NUDE - Not being an afficianado of nude photography myself, headless shots of nudes hold no interest for me but if I were to attempt one, I would most probably use a professional model.

3: A CHILD'S FACE SMEARED WITH FOOD OR DIRT - This kind of thing tends to appeal to those to whom the subject is related but I think having a face smeared with food has been overdone and there are so many more different approaches to child photography that really do make the subject look cute.

4: SUNSET/SUNRISE - I don't agree with this because no two sunsets/sunrises are the same due to the variables associated with prevailing weather conditions at the time the image is shot. There may be a lot of sunrise/sunset shots out there but I challenge anybody to show me two that are exactly the same.

5: COLOUR POPPING - This is one of those subjective kinds of techniques because some images work really well and some don't. An excellent technique to use to draw the viewers attention to an element within the image. You used to see a lot of this when it first came into fashion but not so much now so I would hardly call this cliché.

6: SHOTS OF HOMELESS PEOPLE - I can't really see how this could be seen as being exploitative when you consider that such images are useful in highlighting the plight of the homeless. As a big fan of street photography, taking pictures of somebody who is homeless is not something that I've done but if I were to take such an image, I'd at least give whoever the subject was some money and ask if I could take their photo.

7: SOFT or MILKY WATER - To a certain degree, I have to agree with this but only on the grounds that the resulting picture looks unnatural when the water resembles mist and there are lots of examples of this type around. Using a slow shutter speed to show that the water is moving is fine and, in my opinion, looks far better.

8: OVERLY MANIPULATED PHOTOS - This is another subjective category because it often depends upon what kind of result is being aimed for. Photos can look better than the original image if they have effects applied that make them look graphical or look like a watercolour painting however, there may be a case against images that are overly saturated to the point where the colours don't look natural. HDR is another technique that can look fine in some examples and not in others. Some people like them and others don't so it's a matter of personal preference but you do see a lot of examples.

*removed- personal attack. do it again and I will ban you* : Admin
    Last edited by ricktas; 25-01-2012 at 9:12am.

Ausphotography Veteran
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by FallingHorse View Post
    No mention of cliched Monks in orange robes?
    If you've seen one orange-robed monk, you've seen them all...

Ausphotography Veteran
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Anybody else feel like sticking the boots into me?
    You could ditch the large Times New Roman in your posts...
    Last edited by Xenedis; 25-01-2012 at 2:08pm.

Ausphotography Veteran
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    THE ARMS LENGTH SELF PORTRAIT (SELFIES)Fine if you are young and want to have a record of a good night out or whatever but not something that I think any serious photographer would intentionally execute with anything other than a mobile phone camera. Facebook is filled with shots like these.
    It should be remembered that for many people, photography is not a a method of producing fine art; it's simply a way of capturing their lives and sharing it with their families and friends via social media.

Of course a serious photographer won't usually take such a shot; but those people who do take those shots are aren't thinking "gee, this is going to be grainy, and the light source is harsh; I should have bought a soft box attachment for my iPhone".

SOFT or MILKY WATER - To a certain degree, I have to agree with this but only on the grounds that the resulting picture looks unnatural when the water resembles mist
    If the water is blurred at all, it doesn't look 'natural', because that's not what our eyes see. We see movement; it's constant. A stills camera can either freeze motion, or create a sense of motion in a stills image, by blurring or abstraction of details.

Using a slow shutter speed to show that the water is moving is fine and, in my opinion, looks far better.
    As a seascape photographer, I use both techniques. I like to introduce motion blur into the water, but preserve the details as well. That requires a certain amount of light and a fairly confined range of shutter speeds.

This is the result:

If you're shooting water in the pre-dawn light, it won't be possible to do this, as there simply isn't enough light; you'll be using long shutter speeds which will 'milkify' the image. This is the result:

There's no getting around that in such (low) light.

If some consider milky water a photographic cliché, then I cannot say I'm the slightest bit concerned.
    Last edited by Xenedis; 25-01-2012 at 2:09pm.

It's all about the Light!
    Tech Admin
    Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This is one of my personal favs... Slow enough to get a bit milky but fast enough to keep the wave form.
    Click the thumb for full image

Photo of the Week #246
    Entry: 6516 - Voting Token: V131_0019 - Kym

Title: Photo of the Week #246
    131 - Photo of the Week #246 --- Entry: 6516 - Voting Token: V131_0019 - Kym
    Last edited by Kym; 25-01-2012 at 2:27pm.

A royal pain in the bum! arthurking83's Avatar
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    ...... Show me exactly where I said or even implied that I think EVERY aspect of photography is a cliché? For the record, if you look at my original post, I never said ANYTHING or gave my opinion about what I thought about photographic clichés. Just because I made the original post does not mean that I agree with what was written. The purpose was to generate discussion which, I admit, was done in an emotive way but it had the desired effect. The original post was a collection of rewritten quotes from OTHER PEOPLE, not me.
    That's got to be one of the most extreme back flips I've ever read on AP .. ever!

Firstly, you posted the 8 cliché topics as direct text, not linked to the any of original author's of those 8 topics.

You hadn't had the foresight to add an addendum anywhere in the original post to alert anyone to the fact that these topics were other than your own thoughts in any way.

Read that OP a zillion times over and any sensible AP member would simply assume that ideas and topics in that body of text were the author's own!

Read the original post and you will see where YOU said and implied, in a strangely formatted type, all of those topics were cliché.
    Without referring material and sources we can only assume that the person posting the text in their own posts is the originator of those ideas.
    There is simply no other way to read the posts.
    That is, I'm not posting these words on behalf of my son, or my daughter, who have a pretty limited grasp of the English language. It's pretty good considering their age, but they'd have no idea what this thread is about!

But, now you've opened up the opportunity for me to cop out or wriggle my way out of any situation, and I can declare that the thoughts and ideas in my post here are not my own, but my parent's .. or my children's .. or even my (as yet to be born) grandchildren!!

If you are going to post in this manner, then you need to provide reference material, and if you don't agree with the sentiments of the text you write in your posts.. make it clear with some additional comments.

As it stands, the text in the OP seems to reflect your point of view on the subject, there's simply no other way to read the post.
    Nikon D800E, D300, D70s
    {Nikon}; -> 50/1.2 : 500/8 : 105/2.8VR Micro : 180/2.8 ais : 105mm f/1.8 ais : 24mm/2 ais
    {Sigma}; ->10-20/4-5.6 : 50/1.4 : 12-24/4.5-5.6II : 150-600mm|S
    {Tamron}; -> 17-50/2.8 : 28-75/2.8 : 70-200/2.8 : 300/2.8 SP MF : 24-70/2.8VC

{Yongnuo}; -> YN35/2N : YN50/1.8N

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by I @ M View Post
    Wow!!!

I bet your facebook friends list just shrank by 50%
    Why? I already deleted them age ago- sick of seeing their ugly babies in boxes in the middle of no where lol
    "I press buttons and hope for the best!"
    Check out my Flickr page

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by arthurking83 View Post
    That's got to be one of the most extreme back flips I've ever read on AP .. ever!

Firstly, you posted the 8 cliché topics as direct text, not linked to the any of original author's of those 8 topics.

You hadn't had the foresight to add an addendum anywhere in the original post to alert anyone to the fact that these topics were other than your own thoughts in any way.

Read that OP a zillion times over and any sensible AP member would simply assume that ideas and topics in that body of text were the author's own!

Read the original post and you will see where YOU said and implied, in a strangely formatted type, all of those topics were cliché.
    Without referring material and sources we can only assume that the person posting the text in their own posts is the originator of those ideas.
    There is simply no other way to read the posts.
    That is, I'm not posting these words on behalf of my son, or my daughter, who have a pretty limited grasp of the English language. It's pretty good considering their age, but they'd have no idea what this thread is about!

But, now you've opened up the opportunity for me to cop out or wriggle my way out of any situation, and I can declare that the thoughts and ideas in my post here are not my own, but my parent's .. or my children's .. or even my (as yet to be born) grandchildren!!

If you are going to post in this manner, then you need to provide reference material, and if you don't agree with the sentiments of the text you write in your posts.. make it clear with some additional comments.

As it stands, the text in the OP seems to reflect your point of view on the subject, there's simply no other way to read the post.
    Soooo, soo well said - had to quote it all again, thanks Arthur.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast