Quote Originally Posted by ameerat42 View Post
The 1st bit is interesting. You couldn't focus the stars? A 550D and live view? Doesn't it also have some sort of live view magnification? Did you set your camera to Manual and set focus to "infinity"?

"Normal" conditions don't really apply for astrophotography, so you have to take more control of your settings.

This is early in your astrophotography, and you got a fair result, not a bad one by any means. I'm only saying what to look out for. Another thing has occurred to me: did you take it from somewhere in Sydney? If so, you are really battling the light pollution and unclear skies. As such, the result is as good as you can expect for a static exposure as you took it.
Am.
As much as you may be correct, you have to understand a couple of other factors.
1 - it was a grass field and it was cool and wet. The mosquitos were eating me alive.
2 - Yes, setting the lens to "infinity" would have worked - probably. But in the past when I have tried, "infinity" is too far and I get blurred images.
3 - the lens focus isn't marked. I am still stuck knowing which way to turn it manually to focus close and far. Yeah, I'm an idiot. I've been told, many times.
4 - it wasn't the main objective of the mini-trip. I was taking images of the moon, some buildings and a party which was going on, and some planes.

No, this photo was taken in the Hunter Valley so the light was not a problem and it really was a nice clear-ish night and I looked up and saw Orion and thought I would "give it a go".

And don't mis-read my reply as upset or annoyed. I am not. I'm just mentioning things - which I maybe should have earlier.

I've got a whole heap of images to go through from other things done those three days.