User Tag List

Thanks useful information Thanks useful information:  2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: CPL, UV & ND - Filters for Sigma 10-20mm ?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by arthurking83 View Post
    The video of the HD range of filters from Hoya is interesting!!

The only thing that makes the Pro1D nicer to use is if I get it dirty, where it's much easier to get clean. The coating do seem to help with cleaning, where the cheaper quality hoya CPLs I have seem to require more effort, or more care in cleaning to get them completely streak free.

It's not every day that ball bearings will hit the front of your lens. But my thoughts were that if it could withstand that, then I could clean the glass with anything I wanted (shirt, toilet paper, even printing paper) without scratching the glass.

For some reason, I have the opposite experience with my Pro1Ds (which prompted me to get the HDs). I often check the filter, see the dust / dirt and think "no!! must clean it". But once I put the microfibre cloth on it, the residue then smears out into long streaks all over the glass, "noooooooo!".

A royal pain in the bum! arthurking83's Avatar
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Caring View Post
    For some reason, I have the opposite experience with my Pro1Ds (which prompted me to get the HDs). I often check the filter, see the dust / dirt and think "no!! must clean it". But once I put the microfibre cloth on it, the residue then smears out into long streaks all over the glass, "noooooooo!".
    Oh! that's weird.

The only real reason I haven't rid myself of this close to useless filter is that it cleans so easily.
    Is your cleaning cloth 'clean'?

Anyhow this shouldn't make too much difference I think, as I've used the same cloth for nearly three years now, and I get these streaks on my normal CPLs, and drudge though the process of carefully cleaning the cheaper filters, but with the same cloth the Pro1D cleans so much more effortlessly.. both in the amount of force required on the glass itself and the number of times I have to wipe around and around and around ...... and around again to finally remove the last streak.

Another point I seem to have noted too, is that my 62mm filter(used for the macro lens) is harder again to clean than the 67mm CPL I have(for the standard range zoom lenses I also have), but the 62mm is one step higher in the Hoya range than the lowest of the lows which is the 67mm CPL.

67mm is the lowest Hoya in Purple packaging
    62mm is slightly higher in the multicoated range in a grey packaging
    77mm Linear polariser is about 20 yo and cost about $40 way back then
    77mm Pro1D works well, but at $200 it bloddy well should!
    It's very annoying to use tho and to store too.
    Because it's the ultra slim type with no front threads, and barely 1mm of front ring, you can't attach it to another filter and then cap them off in some way to protect them from transit trashing, so I have to store it in my Cokin filter case. Problem with this is that when the hands are numb with frost bite early morning, I can easily drop it or mishandle it and get either dirt/grass/dew marks on it, or finger prints on it from trying not to drop it. And they wipe off easily within a few circular motions.

the 62mm sometimes seems so hard to get it perfectly clean(as I generally tend to do with all my filters when I can, or if the need calls for it) and on two occasions now I've accidentally separated the two parts of the filter as the retaining ring has obviously loosened enough to allow this.
    I think I've now fixed it by 'stretching' the ring to make it a tighter fit onto the outer bezel.

my fave is the old Linear Pol.
    People say that you shouldn't use them for AF lenses, or that it affects metering or whatever other rubbish they want too, but from my experience with it over the past 6 years, none of those problems have ever surfaced on my two 77mm lenses(10-20mm and 70-200mm).

In the next few weeks I'm going to get a series of these Marumi CPL's I may have mentioned either here or elsewhere just for another set, as I have way too many lenses, and they're sometimes buried deep within the bag. Soemtimes it's just easier to have one CPL for each lens, where it's removed on those occasions where the filter is of no help. The lens cap stays on the filter and the filter is unscrewed. This way when the filter is required, it's already there.

The only lens that doesn't really need a CPL is my son's 18-105VR. If he ever asks for one, there will be one somewhere for him to use.
    (now he has polarised sunnies, he understands how effective a polariser can be)
    Nikon D800E, D300, D70s
    {Nikon}; -> 50/1.2 : 500/8 : 105/2.8VR Micro : 180/2.8 ais : 105mm f/1.8 ais : 24mm/2 ais
    {Sigma}; ->10-20/4-5.6 : 50/1.4 : 12-24/4.5-5.6II : 150-600mm|S
    {Tamron}; -> 17-50/2.8 : 28-75/2.8 : 70-200/2.8 : 300/2.8 SP MF : 24-70/2.8VC

{Yongnuo}; -> YN35/2N : YN50/1.8N

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Oh! that's weird.

The only real reason I haven't rid myself of this close to useless filter is that it cleans so easily.
    Is your cleaning cloth 'clean'?
    Yep, clean cloth. I also often use a LensPen. I reckon that whilst multicoat might improve IQ, some coatings may clean better and others may smudge better.

Because it's the ultra slim type with no front threads, and barely 1mm of front ring, you can't attach it to another filter and then cap them off in some way to protect them from transit trashing, so I have to store it in my Cokin filter case.
    Me too! The B+W MRC KSM Slim CPL is a pain because of that too. That one does come with a suction cap, and it really does suck - as in it simply must fall off the filter by the time you have deposited your camera into your bag. So in the end the filter cannot be left on the lens.

You know... B+W has released a new XS-PRO series that is ultra-slim but yet has a front thread (not really sure how it defies space and time continuum). However, the price tag is a balls-breaker.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12