User Tag List

Thanks useful information Thanks useful information:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: So I got a free iPad 2

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    A little birdie told me that the new iPad 3 will be out early next year, and I think I'll wait for that.

If you have a smartphone, and a data plan, it's easy to use the phone as the "modem" to get your wi-fi iPad online wihtout having to pay for a second data plan etc.
    Maybe the new iPad will also have a USB port so you don't need to buy an extra gadget to plug your camera into.
    All my photos are taken with recycled pixels.
    Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit.
    Wisdom, is knowing not to serve it in a fruit salad.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    "personal hotspot"

sounds rude dont it ?
    Darren
    Gear : Nikon Goodness
    Please support Precious Hearts
    Constructive Critique of my images always appreciated

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hadn't thought of it before but yes, yes it does.
    That's what it's labelled as in the phone so not my fault.

Ausphotography Veteran
    Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by cam bicknell View Post
    Xenedis you can use your iPhone as a personal WiFi hotspot for the iPad. Go to Setting and it is either ther in the initial screen or it may be under General to start with. After we had used it a few times the button moved itself to the opening screen of Settings. We do this for my wifes iPod Touch when not at home.
    Thanks for that. I'll look into it.

That would solve two problems:

1. I could use my iPad out and about without WiFi access; and
    2. I can do the above without maintaining a second data plan which would rarely get used.
    Last edited by Xenedis; 28-11-2011 at 4:15pm.

Ausphotography Veteran
    Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Xenedis you can use your iPhone as a personal WiFi hotspot for the iPad. Go to Setting and it is either ther in the initial screen or it may be under General to start with. After we had used it a few times the button moved itself to the opening screen of Settings. We do this for my wifes iPod Touch when not at home.
    I looked into this, and got nowhere.

There isn't any setting in the iPad re personal hotspot.

I looked on my iPhone for that option, and it's there, but when I try to use it I get a message advising to contact my provider, which I gather means having to get my provider involved and having to pay more money.

It looks like I'm stuck with WiFi only.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    When I turn on the personal hotspot (the innuendo just gets worse and worse) it makes the phone discoverable.
    On the iPod we go to Settings and then look under WiFi and it shows the phone as an available network. The iPhone gives you a password that you need to type into the iPod to connect it. This password entry is only required the first time but the process of turning the hotspot on (smirk) has to be repeated each time you require action, of the internet kind that is, although many people use the internet for that too.
    I am assuming that the process is the same for the iPad but this may not be the case.
    We didn't get any messages about contacting our provider (Telstra), the iPod just uses the phones data capabilities and allowance with no extra charges unless we go over the amount allowed in the plan.
    Hope this helps.

Ausphotography Veteran
    Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    When I turn on the personal hotspot (the innuendo just gets worse and worse) it makes the phone discoverable.
    The issue is that I cannot even enable the personal hotspot on the phone. A box pops up and tells me that to enable Personal Hotspot on the account, contact my provider.

It seems to be a carrier service.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Bummer.
    Our plan is nothing special so it might not cost much extra.
    Would be worth checking as it will add a lot of functionality to the iPad.

Ausphotography Veteran
    Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It sounds like something that's going to cost money, and what I've found with mobile broadband is that it's just not intended for people who use it only very occasionally.

I'm not interested in something that will either expire, or cost me on a monthly basis when it's just not going to be used.

I am older than I look.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Large drinks coaster?
    Cheers

PeterB666

Olympus Pen F with Metabones Speed Booster and Laowa 12mm f/2.8 or Voigtlander 10.5mm f/0.95 or Nikon D800 with the Laowa 12mm f/2.8. The need to keep in touch with the past is a Nikon Photomic FTn or Nikon F2A and a Nikkor 25-50mm f/4 AI

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I was out shooting in a group about 2 weeks ago and 1 of the others had his canon tethered to his ipad.

I did look up the software later but as it only seems to support Canon & nikon I lost interest. I can't remember the apps name but I do remember it was by onone software if that helps

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Have iPad (1) wifi ,use it for net surfing and e-mails when hotspoted to iPhone,displaying some photo galleries,watching the odd movie when needing to pass some time,use it as e-reader,alarm clock when I am traveling away from home,used for navigation.I find just a nice size for taking everywhere with me more compact than my laptop.
    Mike
    Canon 5DmkII, Canon 1DmkIIN, EF 24-105 f4LIS, EF 70-200 f2.8LIS, EF 135 f2L,EF 300 f4LIS, EF 17-40 f4L, EF 100 f2.8 Macro USM, Sigma 50 f1.4 EXDG, 580EX & 420EX,Cokin P filters.
    Tamrac Ultra Pro 17 bag,Lowpro Toploader 75AW,Lowpro Outback 200 belt pack,Black Rapid RS-5 and R-3,Aperture 3,Elements 8.
    Wacom Intuos 4 tablet.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12