Darren
    Gear : Nikon Goodness
    Please support Precious Hearts
    Constructive Critique of my images always appreciated

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I am waiting with baited breath. I too have an inflexable rule about no third party lenses...until looking at the price that is. I have two Sigma lenses and must say they perform well...but, sometimes I wonder if the Nikkor would have been just a bit better, or is it just my incompetence. I have used the Nikkor 85mm1.4 G and OMG it is great but at approx $2500 it would also need to wash the car and mow the lawn.
    Andrew
    D700, D5000, Various Nikon and Sigma Lenses and lots of other expensive thingys with buttons and knobs (some even go Bing !!)
    www.andrewplacephotography.com.au

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The Sigma is a real competitor to the AF-S Nikkor, especially at the Sigma price point, but hopefully longevity isn't the weak point, because the Nikkor will likely go for 100 years.
    I did consider the upgrade (if you could call it that) from the AF-D version to the AF-S, but from what I have seen and read the focus speed of the AF-S is quite slow for a lens of it's kind, where I find my AF-D quite snappy for screw driven, even on the D700 and image quality is hardly if at all discernable to the eye.

I'll be interested to hear your view Darren.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by reflect View Post
    II have used the Nikkor 85mm1.4 G and OMG it is great but at approx $2500 it would also need to wash the car and mow the lawn.
    Whoever is getting that price for them needs a patch over one eye..

Buy from the USA, brand new about US$1600, and around US$1500 mint on the used market. There are plenty floating about on the used market, because lots of people are finding they don't focus much faster than the older AF-D at 1/2 the price. The old AF-D used price has remained very buoyant since the AF-S release, and I can see it remaining that way for some time yet.

Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    yeah, still I paid $830 so i'll take a small risk I guess with it.

I'm not a focus chart type of guy, but will share real world images when I get a chance. Still tracking to arrive Monday some time.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by arthurking83 View Post

Get myself an older still useful and perfectly creamy AF-D lens, OR get me a Sigma version at a good price(still cheaper than the AF-D lenses around the traps on ebay) plus one of those 're-branded' Samyang spin offs, for a bit of macro fun too.

ATM, the Samyang spin offs(Rokinons, Vivitar, etc) is on my get now list.
    They are hard to find second hand tho.
    I have one of the 85mm f1.4 samyang lens (the non chipped version) I picked one up second hand for a good price and I would say its a pretty damn good lens, even for the full price of 300-400 it makes it a real alternative for dipping your toe into this focal length and aperture. They are built quite well (i woudl say equiv. to recent tokina quality).

The sharpeness of these (samyang) is apparently equiv (or very close too) to the nikkors and the bokeh is said by some to be better.

The biggest issue I have with the samyang is the manual focus, i do not shy away from the manual focus lens, moreso i embrace them, however nailing the focus at 1.4 is difficult at best, i would estimate my strike rate at 25% for anything other than a non-moving target with more than 10secs to focus. That said I am blown away with the level of quality for a lens that cost me a couple of hundred bucks and at the very least it has wetted my appetite for this length and aperture.

I am looking at upgrading to the nikkor or sigma version with particular interest in the focus side of things so I love to hear how you go with this lens Darren.
    Some Nikon stuff... gerrys photo journey
    https://plus.google.com/+GerardBlacklock
    No amount of processing will fix bad composition - trust me i have tried.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Wayne View Post
    Whoever is getting that price for them needs a patch over one eye..

Buy from the USA, brand new about US$1600, and around US$1500 mint on the used market. There are plenty floating about on the used market, because lots of people are finding they don't focus much faster than the older AF-D at 1/2 the price. The old AF-D used price has remained very buoyant since the AF-S release, and I can see it remaining that way for some time yet.
    topbuy (highly reputable ) is the cheapest I found at 1675+79, do you have any links to a USD1600 one?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    hmmmmm

Mel just got her Zeiss, no AF but the glass is AWESOME.. will post some puics up in a few days when i get my hands on it...

M
    www.pbase.com/mcphotographics loooots of pictures!
    hmmm Eq list... 1D II, 5D II, 7D, 100-400 LIS F4.5-5.6, 70-200 F2.8L, 135 F2, 85 F1.8, 24-70 F2.8L, 16-35 F2.8L, 420EX, 580EX II x2 ST-E2 Cir polar filters and much much more all in a neat back pack that kills my back!

Adobe CS5
    Week 16 Sheep Winner
    If you have a question about car / action / sports photography or Canon Cameras PM me...

Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I was thinking of the alternatives, but, I just cant live without fast AF, i'm weak

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeah i think Mel will strugle with it... but i am sure she will work it to her advantage in the end...

M

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by kiwi View Post
    I was thinking of the alternatives, but, I just cant live without fast AF, i'm weak
    You're not the only one.

Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    first impressions, im impressed by the lens build and feel

seems sharp enough at 1.4 and I like the bokeh
    Attached Images Attached Images

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Nice portrait of the little man. Nice bokeh, but how do you feel about the AF speed/accuracy?

Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    i only had a quick play as Dominic skootered around the driveway, seemed ok, more testing needed
    Attached Images Attached Images

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    the build quality of the 85 Sigma was the only thing I wasnt that impressed with, very plasticy compared to their other top EX lens range. But after using it for a few months in varying weather and overseas, I had gotten used to it and has caused no problems for me.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    did you have any front/back focusing problems?
    kevinLi - Melbourne fashion, advertising photographer/assistant

kevinLi Portfolio | kevinLi Blog | 500px

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12