It won't be a problem asking questions of the person getting the gift. She specifically asked me for the photos as a gift for Christmas.
So there'll be no need to make it a surprise etc.
She's interstate so there won't be a dinner invite to sus out the location either unfortunately.

The photos she wants are pretty much the last three in this thread http://www.ausphotography.net.au/for...some-questions but she'll be getting only one of them, not three, so I might have to get her to narrow down her selection a little. I don't think she has much idea what it would cost to get 3 large size prints.

Maybe I'll be a super-cheap brother, and send her the file in an email and the instructions on how to get it printed and framed, that's about the size of my bank account at present
She actually works in a pretty exclusive gallery, so I might just send her the print, I'm sure she has access to the framing at her work.
Yeah, I know, being a cheapskate again.

Thanks heaps for all the information, you've all taken so much of the guesswork and uncertainty out of it all.
I don't have a calibrated monitor, however, I can see almost all of the white, grey, black squares in the image someone has up on the site for checking your monitor. The last two whites are just one colour to my monitor. I guess that's another expense if I'm to get into photography in any serious way - a proper monitor.
Will let you all know how I go with it.