Quote Originally Posted by mR_CaESaR View Post
Hmm a little strange on canon's part. I guess they are sick and tired of everyone purchasing from overseas.

It my experience too with canon lenses, I've had one time where I needed to get a lens serviced as it had dust on inside the glass.

All other experiences with canon equipment have been positive.
I don't think Canon the manufacturer would care, cause it would/could be assumed that the product straight from the factory sells at a basic unit price. Say $100.00 USD. That is then distributed around the world. My guess is that in the distribution chain, the Canon companies in each country are probably the ones who put the pressure on Canon worldwide to do something. Cause Canon worldwide still gets its $100.00 per unit, anyway.

The country based Canon distributors and retailers would be the ones putting the pressure on. After all if that $100.00 unit could be bought retail from Hong Kong for $200.00, but in Australia it is $300.00, it is the Australian Distributor and retailer who are loosing out, not Canon (they still have their $100.00). If the government really wants to do something for retailers, they should be looking at why/who is causing the disparity in pricing in the chain. If Australian companies cannot buy the product for the same price (comparatively) as say their Hong Kong counterpart, then that is what needs investigating and resolving.

This issue (and the price of goods in Aus) is not necessarily retailers price gouging, they are just the last in the chain and therefore seen to be the rip off merchants, compared to the retail prices elsewhere for the same products.

I reckon this non international warranty, is disguising the real issue behind all this, and that is to hide the steps in the chain where we are being ripped off.