Thanks useful information Thanks useful information:  51
Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 345678 LastLast

Thread: RAW vs JPG

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Camera won't shoot raw

I have a canon 1000D, but when I put it onto raw mode it only takes JPG shots. Any ideas?

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by svlord View Post
    I have a canon 1000D, but when I put it onto raw mode it only takes JPG shots. Any ideas?
    Do a 'reset' on the whole camera (check your manual on how to factory reset) then change it to RAW format again and see how you go.
    "It is one thing to make a picture of what a person looks like, it is another thing to make a portrait of who they are" - Paul Caponigro

Constructive Critique of my photographs is always appreciated
    Nikon, etc!

RICK
    My Photography

Account Closed
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I suspect you're trying to shoot in Picture Mode. Those picture modes on the dial don't allow you to shoot in RAW. neither does auto. You'll need to shoot in the semi-auto modes like Av, TV, P, or Manual to shoot RAW.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thank you, I was in AV, the reset must have done it.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    OK, got a CR2 file, but when I double click to open it, CS3 comes up with the error message "could not complete your request because it is not the right kind of document". I have also formatted the memory card. Any ideas on what i need to do so CS3 opens the file?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by svlord View Post
    OK, got a CR2 file, but when I double click to open it, CS3 comes up with the error message "could not complete your request because it is not the right kind of document". I have also formatted the memory card. Any ideas on what i need to do so CS3 opens the file?
    CS3 is simply too old to open up CR2 Raw files from Canon,

or it may still be possible if you have downloaded the latest raw updates for CS3, small chance your camera will be supported

if its still not supported, download the Adobe DNG Converter and convert your CR2 files into Adobe's DNG files so it can open the raw files again for processing

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yes CS3 is showing its age and I am about to get my laptop upgraded this week so I will hold off until the new laptop arrives.
    Thanks all for your help

Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    According to the Adobe Help thing I read last week, "Camera RAW" was bundled with CS2. You might need to download it separately as a plug in however, depending which version of CS3 you got. Then it seems you use Adobe Bridge to find the file, click it and choose "Open with Camera RAW".

The version of CS4 I have didn't have that though, I need to search for Camera RAW from somewhere if I want to use that.

Decided to "shave" my signature ;]
    Now mostly shoots with: Canon 5D MK3 & Canon 24-70 f/2.8/50mm f/1.8 (also have a 550D with a variety of lenses/goodies and a Sony Nex-5N)
    PP with: Lightroom only, Photoshop is merely a 9-5 work tool for me.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Alot of info here guys, pros and cons etc, found it to be a good read as im more inclined to shoot RAW only for weddings and corporate. Might try it with portraits etc and see what i come out with.
    I have issues though sometimes with my computer and editing raw files, is there any specific addon i can get for either cs4 or lightroom?
    cheers

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Kylamie View Post
    Alot of info here guys, pros and cons etc, found it to be a good read as im more inclined to shoot RAW only for weddings and corporate. Might try it with portraits etc and see what i come out with.
    I have issues though sometimes with my computer and editing raw files, is there any specific addon i can get for either cs4 or lightroom?
    cheers
    Adobe Camera Raw is the add-on you seek, but if you ensure your copy of lightroom and PS are up to date, using Auto-Update, you should not have an issue. The only time issues occur is as a camera model gets older, Adobe no longer support it in newer versions of the add-on
    Last edited by ricktas; 07-09-2011 at 6:58am.

Account Closed
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Actually, you've got that round the wrong way Rick. They DO support older models in new versions of ACR. It's newer models they don't support in old versions of ACR. When they release a new version of Photoshop for instance, they no longer update older versions of ACR for new camera models.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    i have found if shooting jpg a colorchecker passport can also help
    |Gear|Canon 5D MkII + Grip |Canon 7D + Grip |Canon 580EXII x 3|Canon EF Fisheye 15mm F/2.8 |Canon EF 16-35mm F/2.8L Mk II | |Canon EF 400mm F/5.6L |Canon EF 70-200mm F/2.8L IS |Canon EF 24-105mm F/4 L IS |Canon EF 100mm F/2.8 Macro |Canon EF 50mm F/1.8 MK II |Sekonic L-358 Lightmeter |Manfrotto 055XPROB Tripod + 322RC2 Head |Manfrotto 628B Monopod | Wireless Remote Flash Trigger PT-04 CN & 5 Receivers| Plus Too Much More (Filters Ect)
    Chris | http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=119829358036800 | http://www.flickr.com/photos/chrisprendergast |

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by camerasnoop View Post
    Actually, you've got that round the wrong way Rick. They DO support older models in new versions of ACR. It's newer models they don't support in old versions of ACR. When they release a new version of Photoshop for instance, they no longer update older versions of ACR for new camera models.
    Ooops, thanks for the correction. Brain was in neutral

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'll be going to Canada in two weeks for just a little over two weeks. I'm wondering if 24 gb of storage space will be enough for the shots I want to take assuming I will do them all in RAW. So excited can't wait! But will totally need to practice while I am still in Aus so I don't hold up my significant other from just enjoying the sites.
    Nikon D90 - 18-105mm kit lens

Account Closed
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Would it give you any assistance if I said I shoot more that that at a wedding that takes only 12 hours? 8Gb cards are cheap. Of course they may be even cheaper in Canada. It just depends on where you'll be in Canada. You may not find many bargains in the snowfields. The thing that struck me about Canada was the mountains and the lakes. Don't get many of those around here and I took thousands of shots of them. If you're doing the full guided tour stuff, then you probably will take just as many as I did.

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Agree with Snoop. 24Gb would be no where near enough for me. In Canada I could shoot 24gb a day, the scenery is stunning. My suggestion take a laptop with you (with a decent hard drive) and put the photos onto it each night, also take a small external HDD and copy them onto that, keep it in a separate bag (luggage etc) in case something goes 'missing'.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If yours good enough at photography or not good enough at post processing just shoot jpeg.
    Darren
    Gear : Nikon Goodness
    Please support Precious Hearts
    Constructive Critique of my images always appreciated

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I just had 6 weeks in the USA and came home with 250 gig of raw files on my laptop.
    Pentax K5
    Pentax K10 D Limited Edition
    Pentax FA*28-70mm f/2.8
    Pentax FA*80-200mm f/2.8
    Pentax 100 MACRO f/2.8
    Pentax FA 31mm 1.8 Limited
    Pentax FA 15 mm Limited Wide Angle.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for the info guys, I think it'll be easiest if I just bring a portable HDD and transfer from my cards when I can access a computer at the hotels. Can't wait!

A royal pain in the bum! arthurking83's Avatar
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    24 G's of space on a D90 should equate to approximately 1000 photos(give or take).

If you can be ruthless in culling images that are clearly not going to make the cut, then this shouldn't be hard.

On the other hand, if you take a portable computing device that can store a few hundred gigs of images(such as a netbook or something similar ... I got a 320Gig tablet device for this purpose), then a single card should suffice and you transfer at the end of every day's travel.
    Nikon D800E, D300, D70s
    {Nikon}; -> 50/1.2 : 500/8 : 105/2.8VR Micro : 180/2.8 ais : 105mm f/1.8 ais : 24mm/2 ais
    {Sigma}; ->10-20/4-5.6 : 50/1.4 : 12-24/4.5-5.6II : 150-600mm|S
    {Tamron}; -> 17-50/2.8 : 28-75/2.8 : 70-200/2.8 : 300/2.8 SP MF : 24-70/2.8VC

{Yongnuo}; -> YN35/2N : YN50/1.8N

Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 345678 LastLast