Thanks useful information Thanks useful information:  7

Thread: What print paper to use?

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Now, my choices purely came down to the following factors (in order of importance):
    1. Cost.
    2. Quality.
    3. Support.

I chose Ilford as my paper of choice, they have ICC profiles to help you get started which usually do require a little tweaking. Cost isn't too bad overall. I mean, it all depends on how long you want you image to last (I'm assuming forever for some) so with the Epson Claria ink and Ilford paper they say it lasts for "99 years". I guess that would be in optimal conditions too.

So, here's some more info (copied from various sites):
    Gloss paper:
    Glossy photo quality paper is designed to make printed photos look sharp, vibrant and more like a traditional photograph. Handling of glossy paper is important as the paper can quickly and easily be marred by fingerprints and dirt. Glossy photo paper comes in several varieties including a specialty color protect or color life paper, semi-gloss and premium (professional) grade.

Matte Paper:
    Unlike glossy paper, matte paper produces nice quality prints but does not have that vibrant color finish. Matte paper is not vulnerable to being marred by fingerprints and it produces a non-glare photo. Types of matte inkjet paper include photo quality matte, premium (professional) grade, double-sided matte, and semi-matte.

Now if you're going to go get it printed, PLEASE for the love of god and all that is holy DON'T go to Big W, Hardley Normal or any other mass chain. While sometimes they turn out a decent print, their color profiles are crap at the best of times.
    Last edited by I @ M; 30-08-2011 at 8:57am. Reason: Members with under 30 days membership or 50 posts cannot promote businesses.