Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Threadstarter
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Wow. Thanks for all the replies.

I've used it some more and noticed that at over 10m. it will front focus if i leave the mico AF at 0. If not it's bang on before 5m. AI servo on the 7D works a treat VS one shot mode. Probably due to what a few of you guys mentioned, body movement. I don't intend to take too subjects over 10m so it's fine for what it is.

I compose and then use my joystick to get a focus point and with spot/area focusing. A good habit that i've aquired over the 2 years as i know the focus and recompose causes lots of problems with fast lenses due to the thin DOF. I have my AF-on button on my 7D as AF-off. I have gotten accustomed to manual focus (i use a rangefinder, AE-1 etc with decent success) and do use it to turn off AF and manual focus on the fly.

As for the halo. I realised it's due to LoCA. So again it's fine.

I did try the tripod test before posting, but only at 45 Degrees to a piece of paper with text to test for front or rear focus. I didn't try the tripod mounted at a fixed distance and defocusing to infinity. I shall give a shot with that today. I suspect the results will be that the focus is accurate.

I'm absolutely loving this lens and will be running around with it for the next couple to few weeks to get used to it. It is really a harder lens to get right when it's wide open.

I have had the opportunity to use a Sigma 1.4 with relative ease. I wouldn't have throught the 1.2L was so much harder.
    Last edited by KeeFy; 29-08-2011 at 4:55pm.