13 25.00%
  • I can't be bothered

10 19.23%
  • I don't take pictures

4 7.69%
  • I don't want to share

0 0%
Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst ... 2345678 ... LastLast

Thread: Why don't you post any (more) pictures ?

Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ozspeed View Post
    Its not hard for the majority of us to feel that our photos are a long way off the mark as far as critique is concerned, positive CC like the type Mongo has done in the thread "Mill" has me full of hope.
    I firmly believe that all critique is positive if you take it that way, even comments that are negative.

Beating around the bush, puffery, and platitudes feels fluffy but is ultimately misleading
    Darren
    Gear : Nikon Goodness
    Please support Precious Hearts
    Constructive Critique of my images always appreciated

Ausphotography Regular
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Tannin View Post
    ... If it's any help, I comfort myself with the notion that it doesn't matter because no-one really reads my current posts, let alone my old ones!
    I know what you mean! I feel the same way.

An example came up the other day. I found that Google was pointing to an old thread of mine on this forum dating back a couple of years I might add. The original thread was pointing to pages/images on a domain that no longer exists, however, the content does still exist but on another domain. I was unable to alter the original post/links and simply added another post with the new info/links but the Google search will always be wrong because the original post wasn't changed (not that it matters I supppose). The point is, it would be nice to be able to make that kind of change, if and when needed or just because you changed your mind.

JJ
    Last edited by jjphoto; 20-07-2011 at 2:41pm.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by porsche 911 View Post
    I like the reward system, the more posts that you put out there the more of the site's fun parts you can access, may be a critic counter with benefits might work. Think outside the box as this is what makes this website so much fun. Just a quick idea what if for every 25 cc counts you get to use the HC (Hard core critic smiley) This could then be sent to selected members probably those whom identify them selves as advanced.
    have a look at sites like photosig where your participation is directly based on your critique, this works well however it also has some seriously downfalls. There is no way to force people to provide decent critique and if you try to it will in 95% cases backfire.

Quote Originally Posted by kiwi View Post
    People don't post pics, people don't post critique, I get that. I do. But the lifeblood of a forum are pictures, not discussions about carbon tax or gear etc.

Sometimes yes, you get to a point where you might not get a lot of critique or comments as you post excellent photos, but surely you get lots of admiration and people who aspire to achieve the same results.
    I think here is a crux issue, this site has always had quite a robust OOF discussion and often more time and effort is spent by people discussing off topic threads than photographic threads. My view is this site has a high social networking content to it so there is a large overlap of off topic stuff.

I would rephrase (not saying your wrong merely my opinion) your comment to the lifeblood of a good forum is about quality over quantity and fair sense of give and take in terms of posted content.

Nice shot comments are better than zippo.
    nah, i disagree why compete with flickr? or facebook? these do this and a lot better imo. If a person has enough respect for you and the community they will take the 5 minutes it takes to write a half decent reply to your image (s) - providing there is not 30 images in thread, imo anything more than a couple of images in a thread is not really looking for critique.

Let's get back to why people aren posting pictures rather than good critique. I accept however the lack of the latter can effect the former
    Critique is how you will learn to be a better photographer, if you take the time to dissect, analyse and write down why a image works for you or why is does not this is gonna help more than blasting out a 30 image thread or 50 posts with 'wow nice shot'

I do post a few pictures here from time to time however I do try and maintain somewhat unique content across the mediums that I participate in, this forum is not the one where I spend the majority of my time hence I really only post images where I want a different user base.
    Some Nikon stuff... gerrys photo journey
    https://plus.google.com/+GerardBlacklock
    No amount of processing will fix bad composition - trust me i have tried.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Pine View Post
    "I don't post many photos anymore because I receive very little criticism. (that was the whole reason for me posting)"

Hmmm........

Regards
    Yes that is true. Not many people on AP give me criticism.

I also mentioned that my photos "get picked to shreds" on other forums.

Would a "good" photographer have their work picked apart.

Who do you think you are to makes assumptions of me and attack my character?
    Last edited by mrDooba; 20-07-2011 at 2:51pm.
    Chris

Amor fati!
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mrDooba View Post

absolutely!
    and so they should.

Ausphotography Veteran
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If a good photographer wants to be a great photographer, sure.

It's easy enough to reach some level of proficiency and fall into a false comfort zone which inhibits further growth.

The difference between good and great is substantial, and even the best photographers can (and should) still learn.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Xenedis View Post
    It's easy enough to reach some level of proficiency and fall into a false comfort zone which inhibits further growth.
    well said and its worthwhile having that on the back of ya camera

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    ^ But only if you shoot medium format.

(Wouldn't fit on a 35mm SLR!)

It's all about the Light!
    Tech Admin
    Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yes in the form of CC (Constructive Critique)
    If 'picked apart' is just negative, then no.
    regards, Kym Gallery Honest & Direct Constructive Critique Appreciated! ©
    Digital & film, Bits of glass covering 10mm to 500mm, and other stuff

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    "Would a "good" photographer have their work picked apart. (MrDooba)"

I would say yes, irrespective of a photographers proficiency one always learns from CC (constructive critique).

Regards
    Last edited by Pine; 20-07-2011 at 4:36pm.
    Bodies : Canon 450D, Canon 7D
    Lenses : Canon 15-85 f3.5-5.6 IS USM, Canon 100mm F2.8 Makro USM, Canon 24-70 L F2.8 USM, Canon 70-200 L F4, Canon 100-400 L F4.5-5.6L IS USM
    Editing : Photoshop CS5

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Personally, I haven’t had the time to take many photos lately so haven’t been posting many. Hopefully that’ll change soon.
    I also am a bit light on critique for a few different reasons. Often others say what I would like to, but better than I am able to and I don’t see the point in repeating it, poorly (should probably hit the ‘thanks’ button in CC threads more though).
    I have noticed lately there is an accepted image style amongst a lot of photographers that I find a little boring (that’s not to say it is wrong, just it doesn’t appeal to me). I will often refrain from commenting on photos that seem to fit that style because my biases tend to be nit picky and pointless to the OP. There are others that are better at critiquing said photos without my bias.
    Canon 50D - Zuiko 28/2.8 50/1.8 100/2.8 - Tokina 11-16/2.8

Who let the rabble in?
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The funny thing about it is, I am sure even the best most iconic photos can be picked to pieces, yet they are still considered as some of the best photography around. Take Henri Cartier Bressons photo of the man jumping over a puddle done in black and white:

Here we have subject that is blurred and running into a "wall", ie the right side of the photo, subject black and under exposed, probably should have been a landscape shot and there are probably many other things that could be criticised. But that's not the point and I think people go too far when critiquing in many instances wanting some perfect result. This is what makes photography so good in that it isn't perfect and nor should it be and precisely why we like photographs as they can be like a signature. This is why I rarely critique a photo in the negative unless there are glaring mistakes like it is just plain boring, ie no subject matter, over/under exposed, very poor compositional value, subject blur etc. At the end of the day, it is just someone's opinion and just different and (more than likely) not necessarily better and if you ended up doing what the person critquing says to do, then it is not your photo, it is his/her photo and what they like.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I can't comment or vote o this one Terry I post heaps of images If I was to vote it would be Gravey/ Mint Sauce Good thread , Looking forward to see the opinions of others on this subject , I'm a photo "Junkie" I'm out every day taking shots , Only a very few get seen on this site , I'm to lazy to post to a heap of threads Glad you bought this up - Cheers Bill
    Last edited by William; 20-07-2011 at 5:16pm.
    Canon : 30D, and sometimes the 5D mkIII , Sigma 10-20, 50mm 1.8, Canon 24-105 f4 L , On loan Sigma 120-400 DG and Canon 17 - 40 f4 L , Cokin Filters

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by William View Post
    I can't comment or vote o this one Terry I post heaps of images If I was to vote it would be Gravey/ Mint Sauce Good thread , Looking forward to see the opinions of others on this subject , I'm a photo "Junkie" I'm out every day taking shots , Only a very few get seen on this site , I'm to lazy to post to a heap of threads Glad you bought this up - Cheers Bill
    Don't blame me Bill, Kiwi started this one

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    , Geez , I've been shaped all day till an hour ago , I must have got excited Terry Back on full speed now Whoo Hoo !! And a few Beers later Well change the Terry to Kiwi , Sorry mate , I lost the plot

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Before my operation I must say I was feeling like I was posting way to many that was my own thoughts not because somebody said something to me at all but did not want to be come known as Nikkie the forum hog
    All experts were once beginners

Nikon D3100 18 55 kit lens Nikon 35 mm Nikon 70 300mm optex tripod

MWAH! Sandy

Ausphotography Site Sponsor/Advertiser OzzieTraveller's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    G'day Kiwi et al

Good Q mate...
    .... the lifeblood of a [photography] forum are pictures, not discussions about carbon tax or gear etc.
    To some extent it's hard to answer & quantify this one - I feel that many APers mirror many of the camera-club people I have worked with for the past 40+ yrs where equipment & technique 'seems' more important than the results. It is also overshadowed by the results posted by the very superior images posted by a small percentage of members whose equipt is of a very professional nature, and their results show it [ie: very fine, hi-res images] whereas I am guessing, that many others do not have the budget or inclination to put that much $$ into their equipment

For myself & my 52/011 postings, I often feel that the images I have shot during the recent days are often 'droll' and it sometimes is hard to find a few half-decent images to post. I know that I go thru the 'ups & downs' photographically and these days I am deleting about 75% of images that I take [rather than the 25% in years past]

It also seems to me that there also are quite a percentage of AP members here who are not SLR users who are put off by the constant barrage - here & in the photo media - that suggests that you 'must' shoot with an slr & in the RAW in order to get a decent image ... and maybe, these members just want to have photography as a hobby, not as an all-consuming thing

Here's some of my 'droll' stuff that I am playing with recently - your thoughts??

1- a 30 second exposure by the full moon, ISO-1000 - 10pm at night

Landscape by night(2) by ozzie_traveller, on Flickr

2- around the campfire, 40 images x 30 seconds @ ISO-1000

Adels Grove-04d,m [7pm] 40x30sec by ozzie_traveller, on Flickr

3- The campfire later same night - 64 images x 30 secs @ ISO-1000

Adels Grove-04c,m, [7,30pm] 64x30sec by ozzie_traveller, on Flickr

To me they're 'nice hobby images, not AP stuff' ... and I would not be at all excited to show them normally
    Regards, Phil
    Of all the stuff in a busy photographers kitbag, the ability to see photographically is the most important
    google me at Travelling School of Photography
    images.: flickr.com/photos/ozzie_traveller/sets/

Who let the rabble in?
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Phil,

Your images and you comments sort of bolster my point. To you they are good and interesting and they are you not me and that is what makes them good, almost warts and all. In other words, this is what makes you you and your point of view etc. Having said that, I do think they are quite nice.

I am also amazed at the 1st image as iot looks like it was taken in the middle of the day, bit almost the middle of the night!

I would definitely keep posting your images as they are good and interesting, IMO.

Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think the 365 and 52 whatever threads are problems in their own right, those that post or do those I think are taking away from the rest of the forum in a way

Ausphotography Veteran
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think the 365 and 52 whatever threads are problems in their own right, those that post or do those I think are taking away from the rest of the forum in a way
    How so?

Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst ... 2345678 ... LastLast