Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Traveling with a Tripod

Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by peterb666 View Post
    Obviously you have to take turns so that only one person standing is talking while the rest are sitting down listening. I expect the pilot was a former primary school teacher in the 1950s.
    "Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Wow! What a Ride!"
    — Hunter S. Thompson

Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just a FYI. My tripod traveled beautiful in my suitcase and survived the trip with nary a scratch. It however only got used once, making it a completely useless extra.

There is always a fine line between enjoying the moment and sort of missing it trying to capture the perfect photo. I took well over 1000 photo's but as I was never by myself and there was just SO much to do, coffee to be drunk and food to be consumed I did my old 'snap and pray' type photography there just wasn't the time to compose a 'better' shot. If I had been on my own it would have been a different story. So my perfect 'Kodak' shots are all in my head

ETA On the leg from NY to LA we were once again told that standing and congregating on the plane was forbidden over US air space!
    Last edited by BecM; 01-07-2011 at 11:00am.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well I just went to the US for business so I only carried my camera and one lens...I had a spare weekend so I went to Sequolla National Park and Yosemity National Park, it was the day after of the peak of de-icing of mountains so waterfalls were roaring high, some 100 meters and the biggest almost 900 meters!!!...one of the most amazing parks I´ve been. Short story tripod was MANDATORY!!!! and I still regret not have packed it, never again!!!!
    From the end of the World with a Nikon D90, Nikon 16/85 3.5-5.6 and Sigma 30 1.4
    Come and visit!

Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Oh bugger!!!! Shame I couldn't lend it to you, would have been very happy to do so!

PS You know when I go on another trip I'll still take the tripod cause as you have just learnt ..... you never know

I am older than I look.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Compromise and buy a lighter, more compact tripod for travelling. Works for me.
    Cheers

PeterB666

Olympus Pen F with Metabones Speed Booster and Laowa 12mm f/2.8 or Voigtlander 10.5mm f/0.95 or Nikon D800 with the Laowa 12mm f/2.8. The need to keep in touch with the past is a Nikon Photomic FTn or Nikon F2A and a Nikkor 25-50mm f/4 AI

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    There was another thread somewhere about tripod on planes and I can't find it atm, however tripod in the suitcase is usually the preferred option but if space is tight try a simple tripod case, see pictures below, quick and dirty and cheap, all supplies from bloody bunnings...

you can put some high density foam in there and this setup will take a fair amount of beating - that said have you seen some of teh baggage handlers at sydney?

Some Nikon stuff... gerrys photo journey
    https://plus.google.com/+GerardBlacklock
    No amount of processing will fix bad composition - trust me i have tried.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I traveled all round Europe with a tripod in my suitcase, added a fair bit of weight to my suitcase. Was also a bit heavy carrying it around strapped to my backpack all day but it was well worth it. Also took my gorillapod but hardly used it.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12