User Tag List

Thanks useful information Thanks useful information:  18
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Art to be classified like films? What affect on photography??

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Art Vandelay View Post
    Interesting Shakespeare lesson going on in here.

I don't see what all the fuss is about. It's just a proposed classification system

Scotty, at what age would you take a class of school kids to view an exhibition of images by this chap ?

* NWS ! *
    I would not but, I'm not an art teacher.

But, around my school, there are egs of HSC students artwork (paintings) throught the past decade or so that show stylised nudity etc. It has a context.

It would be a shame for some classifcation system to come in and deem these inappropriate for display.

Many depict the pressures that teenagers face in their journey through adolesnces which are of course appropriate for teenagers to view.

Scotty
    Canon 7D : Canon EF 70-200mm f:2.8 L IS II USM - Canon EF 24-105 f:4 L IS USM - Canon EF 50mm f:1.8 - Canon EF-s 18-55mm f:3.5-5.6
    Sigma APO 150-500mm f:5-6.3 DG OS HSM
    - Sigma 10-20mm f:3.5 EX DC HSM
    Speedlite 580 EX II - Nissin Di866 II - Yongnuo 460-II x2 - Kenko extension tube set - Canon Extender EF 1.4x II
    Manfroto monopod - SILK 700DX Pro tripod - Remote release - Cokin Z-Pro filter box + Various filters

Current Social Experiment: CAPRIL - Wearing a cape for the month of April to support Beyond Blue
    Visit me on Flickr

Account Closed
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    So if you wouldn't take school kids to view that, haven't you in effect applied a similar classification system that you're arguing against ?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    So if you wouldn't take school kids to view that, haven't you in effect applied a similar classification system that you're arguing against ?
    No, I meant I would not take kids to an art exhibition because I'm not an art teacher. In the same way I hope my doctor wouldn't do my taxes.

However, I would take them to see a production of Romeo & Juliet put on by (for eg) Bell - who often don't hold back on the adult themes. Just how old, that is a judgement call for parents / teachers... but that is who should decide - not 'Nanny State'

It's all about the Light!
    Tech Admin
    Threadstarter
    Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Part of the problem is what is ok for a Year 12 - 17yo is not for a year 8 - 13yo.
    The MA15+ is partly helpful in this scenario.
    regards, Kym Gallery Honest & Direct Constructive Critique Appreciated! ©
    Digital & film, Bits of glass covering 10mm to 500mm, and other stuff

Account Closed
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well go back to the original question then, if not you, then how old would you think is reasonable for an art teacher colleague of yours to take kids to one of those exhibitions ?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well go back to the original question then, if not you, then how old would you think is reasonable for an art teacher colleague of yours to take kids to one of those exhibitions ?
    I don't know enough about the context, the syllabus etc to feel I should be able to make that decision. However, a bureacrat making an arbitrary decision; not allowing parents / teachers to make the judgement is wrong.

And, once you label something MA then, a lot of parents will then NOT think about the issues and simply allow govt to think fo them.

Account Closed
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You keep dodging the question,, it's like you have a hankering to be a politician.. I'll simplify it a bit. how about taking a class of 9 year olds ?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm not dodging the question. I've given a plain answer.

I might retort that you seem like the political interviewer who keeps asking the same question until you get an answer you like.

If it were appropriate (as determined by parents / teachers) then, why not? But, I am not a primary school teacher so, I am not best placed to determine. As a parent of a 10 year old, I have taken her to the occasional M rated movie (eg Harry Potter) : the point is, I went first - then decided if she was mature enough and, I sat beside her. I did not simply say, 'the gubberment says it is good / bad' so I can out-source my parental duty to someone else to decide what is good / bad for my child.'

Classification by government will take away the responsibility / discretion. It works both ways, sometimes, an unthinking parent will see a PG rating then, get horrified when the F-bomb is dropped.

We should examine these works ourselves before we take children - not rely on arbitrary, faceless bureaucrats.

Scotty

Account Closed
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Scotty72 View Post
    We should examine these works ourselves before we take children - not rely on arbitrary, faceless bureaucrats.

Scotty
    In an ideal world, yes. But it's not practical in the real world. For all the nanny state arguments, there are plenty of positives.

Suppose I had a note come home from school about an upcoming excursion to a photography exhibition for my 9 year old, I tick the box give consent. - For practical reasons, I can't go and view it beforehand

Is it better I rely on a classification system that has given the exhibition a "general" type catergory,

Or do I rely on the whim of a young idealistic arts teacher who is against any form of classification system and has deemed something like those mapplethorpe images as appropriate for 9 year olds ?

What's more dangerous ?

It's all about the Light!
    Tech Admin
    Threadstarter
    Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Closed. This is going nowhere fast.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123