Thanks useful information Thanks useful information:  10
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Canon 5D mk2 on it's way

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Cost of 5D MKII

Hi everyone, I have to post a correction and an apology (I choke on humble pie!). I am really embarrassed by this blunder!

I originally told you I paid $1,750.00 for the 5D MkII.

I made this assumption on the fact that I hadn't been able to find my original receipt so looked at my credit card statement for that date that said I paid $1,750.00 to JB Hi Fi.

Well after everyone saying this was too cheap I went hunting through boxes of receipts and paperwork and Wallah! I found it! The price paid was actually $2,750.00.

What actually happened is I took out an interest free loan with HSBC at the store for the extra $1,000.00.

Still no excuse for misleading as it was negligent of me.

So I am VERY sorry everyone for the confusion and misinformation.

Apart from that I think I got a really good deal for an Australian purchase with Australian body. I bought my 1D MKII overseas and when I wanted it warranty serviced for a problem Canon refused (even if I paid) as it was "Grey Market" so I decided never to buy a grey market body again. Regards Don.
    Last edited by Doninoz; 17-06-2011 at 12:10pm.
    DON - Teachable, always learning, always experimenting, just want to know everything I can about photography!

Account Closed
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for clearing that up, was choking on my coffee reading the earlier posts after recently purchasing one s/h from the US for about 1800 when I could of had a new one right here for 1750. !

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ameerat42 View Post
    Well, I told my mate in the country about this and now he's interested again. We had a yap about the 7D as well, and he asked how the image quality compares with the 5d. I said I didn't know and I'd ask, so I'm asking.
    Thanks, Am.
    PS: Tryptich's post just above seems to lean precipitously towards the 5D.
    PPS: If any other pros or cons come to mind please oblige.
    Yes I'd swap for a 5DmkII because I mainly do portraits and really would like the extra image quality in low light conditions that the 7D isnt as good at, plus I really want a full-frame sensor so that my lens is actually at the focal length its supposed to be.

What I'd REALLY love, is for the 7D and 5DmkII to have babies...
    Last edited by triptych; 17-06-2011 at 12:27pm.
    Cheers
    Emma

Avoid shooting with a 12 gauge shotgun. Use a Canon instead.

Canon 5D, Canon 7D, 50mm 1.4, 18-55mm, Tamron 17-50mm f2.8 VC, Sigma 70-200mm f2.8, 580EX Speedlight. Facebook

Ausphotography Regular
    Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    lol no worrys i nearly fell of my chair, as i researched like hell to get a good price.
    Canon5D MK III,Canon 6D,Canon 17-40 L ,Canon 24-70 MKIIL , [/COLOR],Canon 70-200MkII L ,Sigma Fisheye 15mm 2.8 ,Canon 2xMk3 Extender, 430EX11 Flash , Lee Big Stopper & Other Lee Filters.
    Manfrotto 055XPROB + 322RC2 + MBAG80P.
    Critique is allways welcome, Any help and advise will allways be appreciated.

davidwalkerphotography.net

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I moved your thread from 'out of focus' forum. the OOF forum is for non-photography related discussion only
    "It is one thing to make a picture of what a person looks like, it is another thing to make a portrait of who they are" - Paul Caponigro

Constructive Critique of my photographs is always appreciated
    Nikon, etc!

RICK
    My Photography

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by britinozz View Post
    lol no worrys i nearly fell of my chair, as i researched like hell to get a good price.
    So sorry...I know that I would have been tearing my hair out too when looking for one...probably would have traversed Australia to get it for that!

Ausphotography Regular
    Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks Rick

Ausphotography Regular
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Out of interest, Britinozz, where did you find the grey market 5D2 for $2400 incl 2 years warranty? That's a good price... Thanks.
    Richard
    Canon 5D4 & 7D2 | 11-24 f/4 L | 24-105 f/4 L | 100-400 L II | 85 f/1.2 L | 35 f/1.4 L II | 100 f/2.8 L macro | MP-E 65 f/2.8 macro | 1.4x | 580EX2 | MT-24 Twin Lite | Manfrotto

Ausphotography Regular
    Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    a company called eglobal its should be here tomorrow i have had 3 sleepless nights waiting i am so excited i have made up my mind and gonna get the 24-105 over the 24-70 as its cheaper lighter more reach and great for a walk about lens im going over to uk in Sept and Santorini Greece all i need now is a travel tripod mmm not sure on that one-bank unhappy-

Ausphotography Regular
    Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    just got my camera wahoo ordered thurs arrived monday morning 9am now im gonna open the box.

Arch-Σigmoid Ausphotography Regular ameerat42's Avatar
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Careful - DON'T DROP IT!!!
    CC, Image editing OK.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi britinozz,

Was there any customs or duty charges on it ?

I have not bought lens over $1000 from them, as would expect these charges on entry into australia?

Cheers Dave
    I have this silly idea, that I should actually go and take photos with all this photography gear I have already accumulated, before I collect any more!

See some of my photos here.
    https://www.facebook.com/pages/David...5888662?ref=hl
    And my very randomly updated blog.
    http://davidarnold.wordpress.com/

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I almost choked on my coffee too after paying $2,850 for mine.

ENJOY britinozz I share in your delight.....
    CC is welcomed & appreciated

5d Mark II

Photography by nature is spiritual, considering it comes from the darkness to show the light.
    - Kevin Russo

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I know how exiting that is!!! Go girl Go!!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Canon500D View Post
    Well done, I don't know whether to invest in a nice peice of L first, or the 5d mark II. oh the decisions!
    Was in the same shoe as you previously. I went for the Lens instead. Rather than having crappy lenses with a full frame. I rather have good lenses then go full frame. Next up on the list is the 5D and 50mm L for Xmas. I won't touch the 24-70 with a 100 feet pole (if i can hold it up in the first place) because it's definitely slated for a upgrade and the current version is.. well.. not as sharp as i'd like it to be (tried out a few).

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Congrats. Brilliant camera it is .
    AKA Sean

Canon 5D MKII - 24-105L - 70-200 F4L IS - 70-300 IS USM - 28 1.8 - 35L 1.4 - 50 1.4 - 85 1.8 - 100L Macro - 200L 2.8II - Tamron 17-35 2.8 - Sigma 150-500 - 430EX - and a stack of other bits and pieces.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Like a few others I nearly choked on my coffee when I saw that price for a Canon 5 Mk11. I had intended to buy one before the 30th June, but the rumours about the new model made me hesitate.
    Does anybody really know when the next version is going to be released apart from "late this year"?
    Canon 6D
    Canon 40D
    16-35 L 2.8 11 USM
    24-105 L IS USM
    70-200 2.8 L IS USM 11

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by acko View Post
    Like a few others I nearly choked on my coffee when I saw that price for a Canon 5 Mk11. I had intended to buy one before the 30th June, but the rumours about the new model made me hesitate.
    Does anybody really know when the next version is going to be released apart from "late this year"?
    I have a good rapport with some of the Canon people in Sydney and they don't even know. You can never trust rumours as far as Canon goes. They keep things pretty close to their chests (that is, the R&D people). The only thing they will confirm is that the new model will have an upgraded sensor (but still at 21mp). There is a rumour that it will have faster continuous shutter speeds and one or two other minor improvements. The only thing you can perhaps have a reasonably good guess (and that is all it is, is a guess!) is that Canon usually take about 3 years between models. So the 5D was released in 2005, the 5D MKII was released in 2008 so the MKIII should be released 2011. All releases are usually at the start of the 4th quarter of each year.

Now the downside of this argument is that a lot more R&D went into the 5D MKII because of the demands of Hollywood and they are pretty happy with the MKII so is Canon going to wait a bit longer to release the next model so as to recoup their R&D???

The other downside is that the price is likely to be around the $5,000.00 and stay that way for 12-18 months.

I guess you have to weigh all this up and wonder if waiting uncertainty and the extra price is worth a slightly better sensor and more photos per second!
    Last edited by Doninoz; 22-06-2011 at 5:25pm.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by acko View Post
    When it comes out it's going to command a premium. Easyily $3.5k i reckon. Will take about 1/2 year for prices to stabilize and all. No one knows for sure when it will be released. It could even be next year. My opinion is if you can afford it now and need it now. Grab it. No use waiting for technology.
    Last edited by KeeFy; 22-06-2011 at 5:43pm.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This thread is helpful as I'm currently trying to determine which to buy now that the bil'ls are finally allowing me to get my dSLR. I'd decided on a 50D with a 70-200 telephoto and 100macro lens as I prefer wildlife & macro shots to landscapes but current research has edged me closer to the 7D as I cant afford to see this camera as something I can replace later- it has to last me a long time. I looked at the 5Dmark II secondhand but I don't really trust the unknown history of used cameras after a certain used car I bought as my first car Isthe full frame feature sufficient to warrant the extra cost?

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast