Thanks useful information Thanks useful information:  9
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: An upgrade to 7D question

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BecM View Post
    I am going to be in the US next week and have a long list of things to buy at B and H. I currently have a 50D that my father left to me when he passed away. I have really only been shooting without 'pointing and praying' for a couple of months now so I really am a basic beginner. I love taking landscape, sunsets, sunrises and 'street shots' (a bit of hockey on a Saturday morning as well).

I have always thought I'd stick with the 50D for a couple of years and then when I've beaten it to death pick up a better body. So here's the thing, the dollar is SO good against the US dollar at the moment, I can pick up a new body for $1600 and sell the 50D. I have been doing a lot of research and the 7D is such a good body, some people say its miles better than the 50D others, well the jury is out. In the end I do know it is what is behind the camera not the camera itself.

What I am trying to ask is if you had a 'good' photographer do you think you can tell that a photo has been taken by a 50D as opposed to the 7D. Is it worth making the investment now with the dollar so good? I love my camera and really I can't even take a good photo yet so I know I am jumping the gun.
    bodies are never a good investment

But i think you answered your own question about jumping the gun.

The only places I saw real improvement was the auto focus, and obvious the the frames/second. Also some nice features, video.
    Overall, if you are not shoot a great deal of action or do not require video, you will be hard pressed to tell the different between the cameras!

I like your comment about the lenses you 'need' vs the ones you 'want'. Once you get the ones you 'need' the ones you want will becomes the ones you 'need' happens to the best of us. Not long ago I was saying the 10-22mm was the last lens i needed.
    1DIII, 5DII, 15mm fish, 24mm ts-e, 35L,135L,200L,400L,mpe-65mm
    Film: eos 300, pentax 6x7

Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Fabiana this is going to be a hobby where there is going to be always something to save for
    "Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Wow! What a Ride!"
    — Hunter S. Thompson

Fishy
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I will give a different point. If you sell the current camera for say $800. if that is the going price you get a 7D for $800 change over. Now that is a bargain and you are able to then purchase lenses, flash tripod etc. If you wait for the next model to arrive(when?) your present unit goes down in value. If you get more than $800 for your camera I don't think I would be able to resist. But I do buy the best I can afford at the time and that generally lasts me through many new models. I have a 7d and I don't think I will need to upgrade for many many years as I am only a hobbyist not a proffessional. I also have a canon G2 and that still takes supurb photos' and videos. cheers Brian

Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi Bricat, I was mostly concerned that there was a huge difference in the quality of photo that a 50D takes as opposed to a 7D, it seems that it is so miniscule it isn't worth doing. I would do it in a flash if there was a noticeable difference but as there isn't I'll just hold onto the money and start dreaming of a 5D Mk V.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The biggest differences between photos, is not so much the camera, but the lenses and the person pushing the buttons!

My father is an international photographic judge with FAPS and FLAPS after his name, and I remember as a kid in the 60's that while he had the very best equipment that money could buy (Hasselblad etc), he was often beaten in comps by an old guy with a box brownie!!!
    He was a real talent and took thousands of photos all the time, and every now and again, he managed to produce some corkers.

Spend your money on good lenses (prefferably L lenses), a good flash like the 580EXII and a decent tripod and head.
    Last edited by Bennymiata; 03-06-2011 at 3:14pm.
    All my photos are taken with recycled pixels.
    Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit.
    Wisdom, is knowing not to serve it in a fruit salad.

Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks Benny, I agree (and did put ) that I know it's the person behind the camera. I already own an awesome tripod and two great lens. This really wasn't about the need to spend money

I am about to buy an UWL, was going to buy the Canon 10-22, there doesn't seem to be an L lens that is an equivalent, would this be the same http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc...f_4L_USM.html?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It would really be the same as it would only be the equiv of about 26-27mm at its widest of the crop sensor body. 26mm is hardly ultra-wide.

Either the Canon (10-22) or the siggy (10-20) will give you great results (assuming you want landscapes)
    Canon 7D : Canon EF 70-200mm f:2.8 L IS II USM - Canon EF 24-105 f:4 L IS USM - Canon EF 50mm f:1.8 - Canon EF-s 18-55mm f:3.5-5.6
    Sigma APO 150-500mm f:5-6.3 DG OS HSM
    - Sigma 10-20mm f:3.5 EX DC HSM
    Speedlite 580 EX II - Nissin Di866 II - Yongnuo 460-II x2 - Kenko extension tube set - Canon Extender EF 1.4x II
    Manfroto monopod - SILK 700DX Pro tripod - Remote release - Cokin Z-Pro filter box + Various filters

Current Social Experiment: CAPRIL - Wearing a cape for the month of April to support Beyond Blue
    Visit me on Flickr

Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks Scotty, yes I want it for landscape. Will stick to original idea.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12