Quote Originally Posted by I @ M View Post
I was using the D200 and it seems there is now way to achieve focus through the program when using the AF ON button.
OK. Didn't know that.. maybe it's a bug, or just a feature for use with Lv(hence implying the camera is Lv capable).
I have the D300 setup with AF-On only and it focuses in Lv mode(have really tried it any other way tho).

Images are sent to whatever folder you choose in the file management section, and also can be mirrored(backed up) to another location as you shoot.
(Not possible to use the camera's card as a mirror repository.)

I also set up VNX as the default viewer, but his built in viewing software also works well. I prefer the Nikon rendering of the images tho.

I emailed the creator(Russ) about a few file management questions, one being if it was possible to keep an image on the camera's card(No, and probably never), and the other question was about file naming.
I like to keep the camera's file name in all my images with prefixes and or suffixes(for tracking purposes), but at the moment it's not possible to do this.
it's possible to maintain a sequential naming format, but not keep the camera generated name in the file name .. (eg. CMN_DSC_xxxx_20110101), where I want to keep a track of the DSC_xxxx name that the camera generates.

He replied to my query and said that he'd try to add that camera name token in v3 of the program(currently at v2.9).

I had a 'quick' play with the focus stacking feature, and it works quite well too.
I set it to capture 60 frames with both a delay between frames and also to use the exposure delay feature as well. I walked away and the software had the camera snapping away for about 5 mins or so, whilst I went off and made myself some lunch!
Easy way to do focus stacking

Only problem tho is that when you make camera related changes via the software, you need to remember that it makes the changes in the camera.. such as exposure delay.
Was wondering what the heck had happened to the camera a few hours later when I picked it up and tried to take a quick snapshot and it behaved weirdly! .. I forgot that I had it set to exposure delay mode!

I recommend downloading his video tutorials too.
I watched the video on controlling the exposure via the sensor/trigger feature, and the ability to connect(via the PC) any number of robotic/automation/sensors/triggers/etc is quite cool, and looks to be very easy to set up too.