User Tag List

Thanks useful information Thanks useful information:  14
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: What is the best rate to pay a contract photographer??

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Kym from my understanding, there has been a significant change in the law on the issue of subcontracting. Hence why I'll be attending the AIPP's seminars on this important issue.

And also, my comments were meant as helpful, and I for one am always willing to offer advice based on real world experience. Helping each other at any level, and all levels can only be beneficial to all (IMHO)

Plus I accept that on some levels of business advice you dont need to be in a photographic business to possess or offer genuinely helpful information.
    William

www.longshots.com.au

I am the PhotoWatchDog

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This is an interesting exercise actually

http://calculators.ato.gov.au/scripts/axos/AXOS.asp

In summary there were a couple of key criteria from what Ive worked out that trigger the conclusion

If you invoice and get paid based on an hourly rate youre considered an employee not a contractor
    If you are not liable for rectification you are an employee

Interesting huh
    Darren
    Gear : Nikon Goodness
    Please support Precious Hearts
    Constructive Critique of my images always appreciated

It's all about the Light!
    Tech Admin
    Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    William, the same issues are faced by the IT industry re: contractors and I was just clarifying. We use contractors at work, and in fact are looking for someone now.

Edit: http://www.ato.gov.au/businesses/con...ntent/4540.htm
    Last edited by Kym; 23-03-2011 at 7:48pm.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by kiwi View Post
    A general rule of thumb is to charge a client 3x what you pay a contractor. This is not industry specific.
    I'm not a tog but an accountant with over 30 years experience and can agree that as a general rule of thumb, 30% goes in wages, 30% goes in materials etc and 30% is profit. Dunno where the other 10% goes!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by capers View Post
    I'm not a tog but an accountant with over 30 years experience and can agree that as a general rule of thumb, 30% goes in wages, 30% goes in materials etc and 30% is profit. Dunno where the other 10% goes!
    I'm not an accountant, but a working pro tog and I can tell you that the missing 10% that Capers is struggling with is very possibly going to be tax But hey who am I to add anything.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by TwitchyVision View Post

I'm a Real Estate photographer currently into my second year of operation. I am presently in line to pick up some new contracts which will see me absolutely flat out and requiring an additional photographer.
    First, may I congratulate you on being so successful after only one year of operating a photography business - well done.

Quote Originally Posted by TwitchyVision View Post

All that I will be requiring from the additional photographer is to look after one client in particular who will produce a high volume of work (11 - 20 properties per week) while i take care of the rest. The photographer will go in, do the shoots, bring the images back to my administrator who will then edit all the images, forward to the client and invoice.
    This sounds to me like either 1)You don't really care about the job/client; or, 2)You're trying to make it sound of less value so you'd feel ok in giving your sub-contractor a 50/50. I value my business and that business is my name. If I put someone forward for a job then I better make sure that that person is not only up to (or close to) my professional standard but that also they don't feel like they're getting ripped off and thus pass that on as "attitude" to your client. Ultimately, that second photographer is going forward as a representative of your business and it is your business that will suffer if it's not treated professionally. Pay your photographer 75% which will keep them happy as that's what they are asking for. This in turn will keep your client happy because your photographer will do a better job. You still get 25% as a 'finders fee' (which is not bad to be honest) and, if in a years time you manage to expand even more, you could have three, four or five extra freelance photographers working for you all 'donating' 25% to your business. Don't try and jeopardize your name just to try and save a few bucks in the short term and please, pay the photographer what (s)he is worth. Which reminds me - who's providing the kit to take the photos and who's paying for the transport?
    Steve
    The more we live, the more we see.

Canon EOS 7D with Canon EFS 10-22 US, Canon EFS 18-55, Canon EFS 55-250 plus Tiffen full ND filters 0.3, 0.6 and 0.9. Digital darkroom of SONY Vaio and Adobe Master Collection CS5.
    Ikelite underwater housing with dome and straight ports.

Steve Munro, Cinematographer and underwater camera operator.
    www.wide-angle.tv And Redbubble

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Mod Note: The member who started this thread hasn't been back online since the day they joined and started this thread.

I would like to thank all the AP members who added to the discussion, sadly the OP has not deemed it worthwhile to come back and thank them, or join in by giving some advice to other members of the site. Seems they came, asked their question, got what they wanted and left. Hopefully they will return soon and join in, if not, I will close their account in a week or so, as it would then appear they don't want to interact with other site members, and give something back for all the advice they were given!
    "It is one thing to make a picture of what a person looks like, it is another thing to make a portrait of who they are" - Paul Caponigro

Constructive Critique of my photographs is always appreciated
    Nikon, etc!

RICK
    My Photography

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Maybe all new members should be barred from asking questions before contributions(of some sort) are made.
    Chris

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mrDooba View Post
    Maybe all new members should be barred from asking questions before contributions(of some sort) are made.
    You're kidding right?? Maybe the poster is away? maybe someone other than the OP got something from the discussion here... I don't see all the hoo haa about the OP not being back for a while...
    Living the dream...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12