Thanks useful information Thanks useful information:  4

Thread: FREE to use Model releases etc

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It may also be worth noting that there is no law against taking a photo of someone in a public place (providing your actions don't amount to harassment). However when you use that image commercially you are making money off of that person's image and they will have have recourse in law to seek compensation. So you should seek signed release forms off any people in images you wish to use commercially, even if they are a passerby not being contracted as a model as such. This is to protect you incase of any future claim against you for the use of the image. I believe this only applies when the person is recognisable, if they are not they generally won't get any joy in court trying to get money out of you.

News photography is generally considered exempt from this provision. So for example, if you photograph people at a news worthy event, and later use that image in the reporting of the event, individuals who appear in those photos will generally have no recourse against the photographer for compensation, nor will they have the right to refuse you the use of the image.

I'm no lawyer, it's probably worth while researching this for yourself as well (I'd say that goes for any advice inthis thread).
    Last edited by pitdroidtech; 22-01-2011 at 1:07am.