User Tag List

Thanks useful information Thanks useful information:  9
Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678 LastLast

Thread: Rechargable Batteries AA - what to look for?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeh I do need all the details, I can never half understand things

If I go for a shoot and use the batteries, whats the best way to recharge if they are are full?

Should I discharge then, recharge? Or just recharge?

Thanks.

It's all about the Light!
    Tech Admin
    Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just charge, is has 3 levels of peak detection so it won't over charge or over heat.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    OK, just to steer away from Taylor's confusion :P - I ended up buying both chargers as well, and am happy! I had a bunch of rechargeable batteries at home, so I've put each one through a proper cycle at rated dependant on what their capacities are. I guess I'm doing the right thing, so far it's been a good experience. I have had to refer to the instructions a few times, and will probably continue to need to in the future, but I've kept the instructions and the chargers close to each other, so all good!
    Nick T.

Canon EOS 60D; Canon 17-55mm f/2.8 IS USM; Canon 70-200mm f/2.8L USM; Canon "Nifty Fifty" 50mm F/1.8 II; Canon 100mm f/2.8 IS USM Macro; 2x Sigma EF-530DG Super flashes; Manfrotto 190XProB + 804CR2

Ausphotography Regular
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    OK, took the plunge and joined the rest of you zealots with the CS9000 and some powerex and emeloops. Plugged the powerex in this evening on a break-in cycle so will see how they are in the morning.
    Couple of questions
    Are the instructions for the charger available online if I lose the original?
    Is the default charging rate for the break in 500 or 1000 mA?

Serial Truant....
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    +1 for the eneloops and intelligent charger. I also have some Sony equivalents of the eneloop which seem to be just as effective. One nice thing about the MH-9000 is that it has break in and refresh cycles which condition the batteries. I had a set of old Ni-Mh cheapies that were barely holding a charge, the MH-9000 bought them back to a much higher charge state after using the refresh cycle.

Ausphotography Regular
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ok read this thread....thought...well I need some batteries for various things...flash, wii....etc..

Went online...picked a 9000 and 3 sets of Powerex batteries...(not bothered about them holding their charge for a long time these seem to be as good for the needs I have)...saw that they have a pick up option...so looked where they are .....and they are 10 minutes up the road!

Been and picked them up and will use them tonight! Brilliant!

I love AP!

Roo
    Call me Roo......
    Nikon D300s, Nikon 35mm 1.8 DX, Nikkor 50mm 1.4 Af-S, Nikon 18-200mm VR, Nikon 70-200VRII 2.8, Sigma 105 Macro, Sigma 150-500mm f5-6.3 APO DG OS HSM, Tokina 12-24mm, Sb-600, D50, Nikon 1.7 T/C, Gitzo CF Monopod

Ausphotography Site Sponsor/Advertiser PROtog's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by wolffman View Post
    OK, took the plunge and joined the rest of you zealots with the CS9000 and some powerex and emeloops. Plugged the powerex in this evening on a break-in cycle so will see how they are in the morning.
    Couple of questions
    Are the instructions for the charger available online if I lose the original?
    Yes, all manuals are available for download from our site http://protog.com.au/download/manuals/mhc9000.pdf

Is the default charging rate for the break in 500 or 1000 mA?
    For BREAK-IN mode, there is no default charge rate. You need to set the Capacity of each battery, and it will calculate the charge rate at 0.1C, so for 2700mAh batteries, the charge rate will be 270mA, and for 2000mAH batteries, the charge rate will be 200mA. Check out my video on setting up BREAK-IN mode here http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6Yrv7zewhWo
    PROtog - Ausphotography Site Sponsor Website Facebook twitter
    Gear: Canon 5D Mk III | Canon 70-200 II 2.8 IS | Canon 24-105 | Canon 50 1.8 | b-grip hand strap | 3 Legged Thing Eddie tripod

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Time for me to jump on the band wagon too.

I am not a heavy user of my 580EXII so I think I'll go with the low discharge type. but wouldn't mind getting some for my sons toys etc too.

Which is better to get, Eneloop or Imedion?

it seems most members posted here have eneloop.

Cheers
    Rob

Moderately Underexposed
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Cheach View Post
    Rob, I can't comment on the eneloops cos we have never used them but the imedions from protog have provided superlative service with a lot of flash use.
    Andrew
    Nikon, Fuji, Nikkor, Sigma, Tamron, Tokina and too many other bits and pieces to list.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thank you Andrew.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Cheach View Post
    Time for me to jump on the band wagon too.

I am not a heavy user of my 580EXII so I think I'll go with the low discharge type. but wouldn't mind getting some for my sons toys etc too.

it seems most members posted here have eneloop.

Cheers
    Rob
    eneloops are superior to IMEDIONs for really low power use, such as remote controls and other devices where the runtime between charges is greater than 1 year.

eneloops have also been shown to be superior for really high amp draw LED torches. For everything in between these two extremes, the IMEDION provide the low discharge characteristic of the eneloop, and a higher capacity.

There are a number of eneloop and IMEDION comparison tests done, we have a couple of links on our blog. Have a read here http://servaas.com.au/blog/index.php...-test-results/ and here http://servaas.com.au/blog/index.php...on-powerex-aa/ and here http://servaas.com.au/blog/index.php...-sb-800-flash/

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thank you Jeff.

After reading your reply and the FAQ links you've posted I gathered that s is better for flash guns and Eneloops is better suited for remotes, toys etc.

I will head your way to place an order as soon as I convinced the finance minister to sign off on the purchase just ordered 2 Hoya HD circ pol filters yesterday so may have to wait until next week ;p

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi OutCast

I'm using NiZn (nickel-zinc) rechargeables for my 580EX II

They are rated at 1.6v per cell, norminal voltage.

Seems to be working quite well so far. The extra voltage really helps with cycle times.

The down side is they do cost a bit more, and not available in Australia (you will have to get them from ebay).

Loz.

Ausphotography Veteran
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Although this is an old thread, I picked-up on the general sentiment of the posts, invested in some Maha Powerex AA's and "wooooshka", can't believe the extra grunt these have
    Richard
    I've been wrong before!! Happy to have constructive criticism though.Gear used Canon 50D, 7D & 5DMkII plus expensive things hanging off their fronts and of course a "nifty fifty".

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi Richard, glad you are happy with the performance boost! Are you seeing faster recycle times, or more flashes per charge, or both? Jeff

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Another Eneloops user here. The thing I like about them is you can leave your flash in your bag and they don't go flat, they stay charged for ages.
    Lloyd
    Canon 5D2+40D+L+Σ+S100
    Never make the same mistake twice, there are so many new ones, try a different one each day
    Flickr

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by LJG View Post
    Another Eneloops user here. The thing I like about them is you can leave your flash in your bag and they don't go flat, they stay charged for ages.
    Not going flat is referred to as LSD, or Low Self Discharge. eneloop were first to market with LSD batteries, but have been surpassed by the IMEDION LSD batteries, as tested by a number of different photographers. We have a couple of links on our blog. Have a read here:

Capacity and self discharge tests: http://servaas.com.au/blog/index.php...-test-results/

Canon Flash tests: http://photography-on-the.net/forum/...d.php?t=677074

Nikon Flash tests: http://servaas.com.au/blog/index.php...-sb-800-flash/

The above tests were conducted with the IMEDION 2100mAh. The new IMEDION 2400mAh have even higher capacity, and will provide even longer runtime to cameras, flashes, and torches. The Powerex 2700's are also included in some of the above tests, and provide faster recycle time, and higher capacity again, at the expense of faster discharge. After about 2 months, the discharge f the Powerex 2700's means you get more power from the IMEDIONs. For users who completely drain the battery in less than 2 months, the 2700's will provide longer running power, and faster flash refresh rates.

Ausphotography Veteran
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by PROtog View Post
    Hi Richard, glad you are happy with the performance boost! Are you seeing faster recycle times, or more flashes per charge, or both? Jeff
    Certainly am getting fast re-cycle. I had given up on the mainstream NiMh offerings, just about hopeless, in the Canon 430EX you would be lucky to get 150 flashes from a fresh set and the last 30 frames were taking up to 12sec. to cycle. I bought a 580EX a while ago and even Eveready's expensive Lithium batteries were taking 20 seconds out of the packet to convert the green pilot light to red. The powerex 2700's take less than 2 seconds to bring the red light to "ON", most impressed
    Richard

Ausphotography Veteran
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by LJG View Post
    Yes, I was getting sick of going to a shoot somewhere and having flat batteries so I started taking them out of the flash, that helped a bit but I don't think there is a real alternative to low-drain AA's
    Richard

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I know this thread was started in 2009 but it keeps popping up. I suppose it's good for newbies like me. I have the 580EXII and use the Varta AA 2100 mAh batteries. They charge in less than 15 minutes. After the flash has fired, it's ready again in only 2 seconds!
    Just this week, I purchased a pack of 4 2100 mAh for spares, in Coles for $18. Very low discharge rate (retaining 80% after 12 months) so they last a fair time while idle. There's a very interesting Youtube test (Australian) at http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gG6rta4PuSM
    The charger (twin unit) is at http://www.shoptop.com.au/p_2403_Varta

Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678 LastLast