Quote Originally Posted by Allann View Post
Thanks, I was hoping you would pop by and offer a little feedback as I knew you had the lenses in question from our last meeting. I'll let the cat out of the bag and say the 135 is top of the list by quite a stretch for exactly the reason you stated, the aperture. the 85 was tempting me, but I did some extensive research of my library and most of my portraits are at the long end so it ruled that choice out fairly quickly.
Yes, that's the deciding factor.

It's rather like buying a Ferarri whose top speed is 300km/h, when the majority of your driving is done at 60km/h.

I've seen some of your shots taken at long lengths. You can certainly diffuse the background with a shorter length, and you don't need to be a long way away.

I've used my 300/2.8L IS for a few portraits, but in all honesty, when I've shot with it, portraiture hasn't been the objective; and when I do shoot portraits, it never comes along. The 85 gets used far more than any other lens for portraits, followed by the 35/1.4L and then the 135/2L.

I'd love to use the 135/2L more, but it requires more working distance, and typically I don't have that if I'm doing indoor shoots. I did use it for an outdoor portrait shoot at Berrima a few months ago, though, but I still found myself shooting tightly, as that tends to be my style.

I know of someone who uses a 200/2L IS for portraits, and the images look great, but you really do need a fair amount of distance if you want full-length shots.

Quote Originally Posted by Allann View Post
Yes I already have the focal range covered, and if I used that excuse for a new lens, I'd never buy another lens again.
Indeed -- a fair point, and I'm no different. Mind you, it's been several years since I bought a lens. :-)

I have seven lenses, of which two are zooms. I have overlap at the 35mm end of my 16-35/2.8L II (35/1.4L), and my 70-200/2.8L IS covers my 85/1.2L II, 135/2L and 180/3.5L Macro, although that lens doesn't get used for portraits. I never bothered with a 24-70/2.8L, as I just wouldn't find it useful for most of what I do.