Quote Originally Posted by leeduguid View Post
The Cokin holder encroaches into the frame at wide angles when stacking filters.
Interesting comment. I don't know if you are referring to the P-series or the Z-Pro.

In the Z-Pro, you can reverse the lens adapter so only 1 filter is forward facing. The Z-Pro holder can also be dissassmbled, rearranged and bits moved or added, for example to have just 2 standard slots at the front or 1 standard slot and 1 wide slot (so you can use either a standard filter or a polariser).

While the P-series is not as adaptable, there is a wide-angle version which holds a single filter and it costs around $14 in Australia or $5 from eBay (presumably a clone).

I found your linked article rather amusing. The vignetting wasn't due to either the Z-Pro or Lee filter holders (which pretty much provided the same amount of vignetting - it was all due to the Canon 17-40mm lens which just happened to vignette the same without a filter holder. It is pretty bad too so you have to wonder what Canon are up to.

There does seem to be some vignetting of the corners of the frame with Cokin polariser with the corners just cut off - but you still have the 17-40mm lens playing its bit.

As for the banding issue, thats a new one to me. I have HiTech 4-stop and 8-stop filters. Neither band on my Olympus E-P1 and the 4-stopper on my Nikon D-90 (havent used the 8-stopper on that) works file too.

Colour cast is a problem from around 7-stops (individual filters or staked) with HiTech yet I know of one person using the 10-stopper that has never found an issue. Maybe there is some variation from batch to batch of the filters - but there shouldn't be.

In the larger sizes, Lee are not that more expensive than HiTech other than in the polariser so it may well be worthwhile going to Lee in 4" wide filters and then sourcing the polariser elsewhere. Does anyone have experience with the HiTech polariser?

Another option for filter holders would be the HiTech one but they use a front, ring mounted 105mm polariser on thier 4" filters and a 95mm ring mounted job on the 85mm P-series. I think this would present more problems than having the first slot for the polariser as done by Cokin.