Quote Originally Posted by Mircula View Post
Hey,

thanks for the answers.

Campo:

Yeah i am trying to overexpose too, but in this case i had bright sunshine and dark shadow from the cliff so there was not much room to play...Thanks for the tipp though!!!!

Alan:

I know what you mean with no detail in the shadows...The point is that the brush on exposure behaves different to the exposure in the basic panel...that is what i dont understand....

Does it? Which sliders do you mean? the ones under the curve or the ones in the basic panel?

"Alan working":

I use it as well for lighten up faces...That works quite well if used carefully...

Rick:

if I just want the lights to be darker for instance....Cant i just lower the exposure and brightness? That gives me control over the light parts and leaves the shadows alone, or?

I think i asked that in another thread but it comes again down to difference from basic panels and curves....Still didn't manage to get the kelby book.....

Ps.: I really have to learn how to use the quoting properly....
Yes it does, but..you have no control over how dark the darks are that are adjusted, you simply slide the slider, and I think the software uses the midpoint (medium grey) to determine what is considered dark, and therefore what gets adjusted when you move the shadows slider, everything darker than that is adjusted, what do you do of you don't want all of the darker areas adjusted, only those that are in a certain brightness range? Using a curves adjustment layer you can pick your points along the curve line and separately adjust several different areas. So you could pick a point just in from the left, then drag down the line between the bottom left corner and the point to make your blacks deep and rich, whilst leaving other areas that are in shadow, but not really dark, alone. You could then click up the curve line a bit further and lift the section of the curve up and recover some more detail in those not so dark shadow areas. Curves are extremely powerful and I would suggest finding out more about how to use them.