User Tag List

Thanks useful information Thanks useful information:  8
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Why you wouldnt enter a photo competition that grabs all your rights

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Cheryl, don't you just love it when state government public servants say to you could they please have the image for free because otherwise they won't be able to afford to take six staffers to Day Dream Island to discuss future photographic needs.
    Is that industrial or emotional blackmail or just an excuse to take five of your mates on a junket?

William, the flip side of the coin is if they're taking copyright and the prize is $50/$100 why enter? If I remember rightly DPI did this and eventually got no entries. Supply and demand.
    Seagate ran similar rules last month and the prizes all up were nearly $US4,000. I won so they can keep my photograph and do whatever they like with it.
    I guess like you said, it's all in the prize money.
    Last edited by Redgum; 20-08-2010 at 4:06pm.
    Photojournalist | Filmmaker | Writer | National Geographic | Royal Geographic

D3x and other gear.

Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Actually to be pedantic, they're not taking copyright, but an unlimited licence to use it in perpetuity, everywhere and anywhere on medium both in use and whatever can be invented in the future (! Yep seriously with some it say that). Oh and the entrant is liable for that long as well, just in case we use it in a manner which the subjects may take exception to.

The reason they do it is "to engage the community".

But before any comments are made on that point (!), I should say that yesterday I had a couple of hours meeting with Qld Gov to discuss how they could seriously change their Terms and Conditions for all future Photographic Competitions. I was pleasantly surprised by just how positive they took all suggestions. So I can now hope that the years of beating on their door may actually produce a good result.

Its only taken well over 5 years of constant head bashing with them to get that meeting - I was impressed by the level of the people I met with, and pleasantly surprised by their positive response to all suggestions. Looks like I will be working with them in the future to produce something more palatable to all photographers.
    Last edited by Longshots; 20-08-2010 at 5:49pm.
    William

www.longshots.com.au

I am the PhotoWatchDog

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've not entered any competitions for this very reason. I dont have the time to wade through all the fine print and I'm always scared that I put something in, it doesnt win anything but 6 months down the track it's used in an annual report or some other droll publication without thought to me, the original creator.

Off topic; I'm also quite paranoid about what 'gallery' site to upload my photos to in case some have hidden conditions.
    Creativity is allowing yourself to make mistakes. Art is knowing which ones to keep. ~Scott Adams

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Benicio, you needn't feel like that. Some people become paranoid about their photography to the extent that they feel people want to pinch their photographs for financial gain. Nothing could be further from the truth when you realise just how many snaps are taken every day in this world. In fact, it would be more accurate to say that most people really want nothing to do with your photography.
    If you have a photograph that you want to display openly simply put your name on it and enjoy the exposure. If the photograph has sale potential don't display it until you have made that sale.
    Competitions are for enjoyment of those who participate. Even on this forum most members wouldn't know the outcomes of competitions and dare I say, wouldn't care all that much because less than 1% enter. So if competitions are your bag put in an entry and enjoy the outcome without any concern you may lose ownership. The chances of that are so negligible.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I fall into the committed enthusiast category and do not support the blanket use of photos submitted to competitions.
    Cheers, Craig
    Motorcycles reproduce in nocturnal alleys groaning with greasy pleasure.
    VTR1000F, GS1100G, D300, D70S, Lenses and other goodies.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

A royal pain in the bum! arthurking83's Avatar
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'd never enter a competition that erodes my rights to any compensation if my images are used for commercial purposes.
    Nikon D800E, D300, D70s
    {Nikon}; -> 50/1.2 : 500/8 : 105/2.8VR Micro : 180/2.8 ais : 105mm f/1.8 ais : 24mm/2 ais
    {Sigma}; ->10-20/4-5.6 : 50/1.4 : 12-24/4.5-5.6II : 150-600mm|S
    {Tamron}; -> 17-50/2.8 : 28-75/2.8 : 70-200/2.8 : 300/2.8 SP MF : 24-70/2.8VC

{Yongnuo}; -> YN35/2N : YN50/1.8N

Ausphotography Veteran
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by arthurking83 View Post
    I'd never enter a competition that erodes my rights to any compensation if my images are used for commercial purposes.
    I'm slightly fussier: I'd never enter a competition that erodes any of my rights.

Ausphotography Regular
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Government, think Shawshank Redemption, and how he mailed the government once a week until they gave in, then they said "go away" he said "no !, i'm going to mail twice a week now"
    Do not let up, you've done well to secure our rights for the worth of our photography. Most amateurs would love to have some published works and will sacrifice payment for it. It is neither in their or any photographers interests to do so. It just cheapens the industry and reduces everyone's potential to derive a living or payment from it.
    You could say "how would you like if someone offered to do your job for free or at half the rate and the gov said ok ?"
    Good Luck, and well done so far.
    Rick perhaps we could do a POLL of this topic, and ask all member to participate, its in their interests as well and then longshots can present the poll as a petition or create and sign a petition as part of the poll ?

Stand up for your rights, once their taken away, it is almost impossible to get them back.
    Cheers Neil

Quote Originally Posted by Longshots View Post
    Actually to be pedantic, they're not taking copyright, but an unlimited licence to use it in perpetuity, everywhere and anywhere on medium both in use and whatever can be invented in the future (! Yep seriously with some it say that). Oh and the entrant is liable for that long as well, just in case we use it in a manner which the subjects may take exception to.

The reason they do it is "to engage the community".

But before any comments are made on that point (!), I should say that yesterday I had a couple of hours meeting with Qld Gov to discuss how they could seriously change their Terms and Conditions for all future Photographic Competitions. I was pleasantly surprised by just how positive they took all suggestions. So I can now hope that the years of beating on their door may actually produce a good result.

Its only taken well over 5 years of constant head bashing with them to get that meeting - I was impressed by the level of the people I met with, and pleasantly surprised by their positive response to all suggestions. Looks like I will be working with them in the future to produce something more palatable to all photographers.
    A Birth Certificate shows that we were born.
    A Death Certificate shows that we died.
    Pictures show that we lived!
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/knumbnutz/
    http://www.pentaxphotogallery.com/neilmorgan

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12