Quote Originally Posted by Longshots View Post
While I didnt say it was the answer, its certainly the first question.

And regardless of that simple difference of viewing both different mediums (and in properly controlled print viewing booth) a well managed lab, (and they're not always that much more expensive) Digilab in Brisbane is a good example where I can depend on getting a print that is going to match my monitor. So a good system doesnt mean that you will always have a difference between print and screen.

And BTW I calibrate every week, not because I do a great deal of prints, but because I need to be able to place a great degree of faith in delivering digital images to my commercial clients that they ca, Mon trust. Is there always a big difference between before and after calibrating - no. It depends on the quality of which screen My Dell screens tend to have more "movement" on them then the Eizos. And again its worth saying that most people would not see the difference as its such a negligible amount.
All good stuff, but most people don't have a properly calibrate-able screen, nor a controlled environment. That leaves them with little choice but to do the best they can and then use other methods. Still, you are right, that is the first question.