Roof,
I purchased a carbon fibre mono off the web a few months ago - its a cheapy at $80 odd, but it not really there for continuious use - more for my up-coming trip to the UK as I wont be taking the big tripod with me (too heavy). Its a convenient length at about 1.4m but folds up really small at about 36omm in 5 sections.

As for using a head on a tripod - I first thought that you don't really need one - wrong - the tilt that you need for anything more than a few degrees off the horizontal is too much for just tilting the monopod. So I purchased a Manfrotto 234 monopod tilt head which is relatively small and only gives tilt in a single plane. For portrait orientation of the camera I have a Kirk L plate on the camera and Arca Swiss plates on everything - works a treat.

As I'm travelling reasonably light, I am taking a small table like tripod - a Velbon Ultra Maxi SF (called an ULTRA-LUXi-SF on web site) for use when taking time exposures at night. This one has the same multi-stop leg features that my large manfrotto has yet the complete unit is only 350mm in length when folded.